Suggestions for roasting Bolivian Machacamarca in a Behmor

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Suggestions for roasting Bolivian Machacamarca in a Behmor

Postby orrinoconnor » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 pm

This will be my first experience of roasting beans.
If you have (successfully :roll: ) roasted Bolivian Machacamarca beans in a Behmor, I really would appreciate your guidance!

Thank's Ray
orrinoconnor

RE: Suggestions for roasting Bolivian Machacamarca in a Behm

Postby lsjms » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:36 pm

This is not Macha specific, more what I would do with a new, unfamiliar machine.

0- Read/google a little about what the crack sound like and the temps they roughly happen at.
1- Barrel your way to second crack as fast as your roaster will allow to season the machine and give you an idea of what will happen at full power/on fastest profile.
2- Throw away those beans.
3- Meditate on how much power/ what profile you should now use to roast coffee as you want it.
4- Try the coffee and think about what could be done differently

Bear in mind I have never seen a Behmor, others or the instructions may provide more useful info.
lsjms

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:58 am

I have no experience of the Behmore but, in addition to what Isjms has written, I would add practice, lots and lots of practice.

I think that coffee roasting is more art than science. It took me over 100 roasts on my Gene Cafe to get a reasonable feel for what was going on and probably another 100 roasts before I considered myself proficient. When I changed to the Hottop it took probably another 100 roasts before I felt I had mastered that.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:59 pm

Bell, Book, and Candle by the light of the moon then!
orrinoconnor

Postby GeoffsCigars » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:00 pm

I've used a Behmor for more than a year, probably 300+ roasts, and believe that, despite the settings on the machine, it's more down to feel and human interventions if you want good results.

I've never roasted the bean that you mention, but my approach with any new bean is: Roast a half-pound batch - I always have the most success with this amount, using the standard profile and timing. Listen carefully for the very start of the second crack (you may need to extend the time to get there), then switch on the cooling cycle immediately and open the door to shut down the second crack asap. I find that this produces a good reference point for the bean, and after that you can decide if it needs minor tweaking, or if it's worth trying a whole new profile.

I've got to admit that after the first few roasts, the only time that I've had a bad roast has been down to operator error. Everything else has been useable, and better than an awful lot of store-bought.But I think I was about a year into roasting before I got results that I'd accept were really good. I frequently buy the same beans roasted by someone whose roast that I trust to compare and make sure that I'm not wildly different in what I'm producing - or if I am, that I consider my version as good as/better than... ;>)))
GeoffsCigars

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:52 pm

GeoffsCigars wrote: Listen carefully for the very start of the second crack (you may need to extend the time to get there), then switch on the cooling cycle immediately and open the door to shut down the second crack asap. I find that this produces a good reference point for the bean, and after that you can decide if it needs minor tweaking, or if it's worth trying a whole new profile.

Geoff that information is most helpful,

Thanks Ray
orrinoconnor

Postby sicinius » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Roasted lots of kilograms of Machacamarca on my Behmor and it's easier than most. Did the first four or five before I found the 'Light' button. Don't make that mistake!

Good advice to use some sacrificial beans to find out what first and second crack sound like. First crack is a popping noise and second crack sounds like rice crispies.

For Machacamarca I roast a pound at a time on P1 which is 18 minutes but I watch and wait for first crack. After a few beans have popped, I time 1m 45s then hit the cool button, usually with about a minute or a minute and half of the programme still to go. First crack will have stopped by then. I allow a bit of heat to escape by opening the door a tiny bit for a few seconds to allow hot air to escape but prevent chaff from escaping. Then shut the door and let the cooling finish. Your mileage may vary on the times but this produces something that is approximately the same colour as Hasbean-roasted BM and tastes pretty much the same.

I did try, a couple of times, to take the just into second crack, like Steve says on the site, but even with door-opening, the result was much darker roasts than intended and the loss of the caramel/Shredded Wheat flavours I like.
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Postby orrinoconnor » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:25 am

I roasted another 125gms tonight, set voltage, used P5 this time and took it to the max time.
I couldn't hear any 2nd crack's as I switched the extractor on full after 1st crack.
The beans are a dark warm nut brown colour with a slight sheen but not oily. They smell good. I am not using them till Saturday.
I intend keeping my roast sizes small until I feel more confidant, having to bin a pound of burnt beans would make me cry!
I wouldn't like to be doing it without the light inside, I think I better get spare bulb to keep on hold.
The little window is similar to that of a crematorium incinerator!
orrinoconnor

Postby sicinius » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am

orrinoconnor wrote:The little window is similar to that of a crematorium incinerator!
Thank you so much for sharing that . . . . :)
Isomac Zaffiro, Eureka Mignon, Isomac Gram Macinino, Aeropress, Stovetop espresso, various Moka stovetops, 3 cafetieres, 50's glass Cona. Behmor 1600.
sicinius

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques