Removed By Poster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby orrinoconnor » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:37 pm

motoman wrote:Of course you have to use sodium thiosulphate free paper in order not to fix the bean, this will prevent them from turning brown when roasted.

Without question, I was speaking about the hazards of sodium thiosulphate with the postman this morning, so yes your spot on the money with that one.
orrinoconnor

Postby Jasonscheltus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 am

bruceb wrote:
orrinoconnor wrote:So vacuum packing would probably work well with keeping them in a cool dark place!

Vacuum packing coffee green or roasted is questionable at best. If you think about it you probably will come to the conclusion that a vacuum will withdraw volatile compounds from the beans, possibly changing or even damaging their flavour. With greens there is a more serious problem. Vacuuming will dry the beans and dry greens do not roast properly. I was sent some green beans in a vacuum pack a few years ago and when I went to use them a few months later they never underwent first crack and wound up burning. I think that there was not enough moisture in them to cause the chaff to pop off. I put the rest of the beans in water overnight, then dried them in the sun until they felt dry and they roasted normally, however the taste was rather disappointing. In my opinion vacuum packing is not a good idea.

The benefits of vacuum packing green coffee globally far outweigh the one bad experience that Bruce had, let's just put this into perspective!

I would enter this debate, except it's over, and not worth any of our collective time.
Jasonscheltus

Postby bruceb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 pm

I agree with Jason and I regret posting the above because I didn't really have enough data to substantiate my claim. Vacuuming does seem way OTT to me considering the inert nature of green coffee beans, but if the experts are doing it there must be a good reason for it. I apologise for making inadequately substantiated statements.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby orrinoconnor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Firstly I appreciate Bruce's opinion and experience, as much as that of any other.
If anyone has had a bad experience it should be noted, that way we progress and learn by our own experience and that of others.
Surely we are all here to share a common interest.
orrinoconnor

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 am

I only come here in the hope I can blag some muffins. Trouble is everyone keeps talking about coffee ....... :roll:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques