5kg drum roaster: why Probat seems the best machine?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

5kg drum roaster: why Probat seems the best machine?

Postby RubensGardelli » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I need to buy a new 5 kg drum roaster.
My approach is to find the best compromise between price and quality, but I might consider the most expensive choice since I'm looking for quality first.
I just finished to read the Willem Boot's article on Sept-Oct Roast magazine issue about the things to consider after making a conscious decision.

I'm evaluating all the model from the main manufacturer like Ambex, Diedrich, Giesen, Toper, US Roaster corp, Brambati, Petroncini, San Franciscan, Has garanti, Ozcaffe, Scolari engineering, Wampa, Coffetech, Sivetz, Joper, Gothot and........PROBAT.
It seems that the best roasting companies lean towards Probat.
Doeas anyone of you knows why?
Why should I pay more euro for the Probat instead the other manufacturers?
RubensGardelli

RE: 5kg drum roaster: why Probat seems the best machine?

Postby lsjms » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Rubens, if you want to discuss roasters, perhaps just stick to the one thread(even the same forum!) You may get a better and more informed opinion if you speak about your needs as opposed to general discussion about which is best. You may for example want the roaster manufacturer that offers the highest level of service support in your country or the cheapest that will actually do the job to your standards. Profiling etc....

Why should I pay more euro for the Probat instead the other manufacturers?

1. They are the market leader and of doubtless quality, tried, tested and awesome.
2. You get to say "my probat" every so often, which would be worth at least a few quid:lol:

For me, there are four manufacturers on your list that could fulfil all my roaster fantasies and if I could have any on the list I'd have the one you can't buy!
lsjms

Postby bruceb » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm

Every Northern European roaster I know has tried other brands of roasters and wound up with Probat. I think as noted in the post above that you are paying for quality, experience, material and service. Probat excels in all of these. I have no affiliation with Probat and unfortunately don't even own one of their roasters, but if I could justify it I would.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby lsjms » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:17 pm

"please don't just tell me that "they are the market leader"

No need, even via another forum. I was trying to help and hoping you might offer more detail as to your situation, maybe share details about the roaster you have now/roast style etc. Ah well.
lsjms

Postby Bombcup » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 pm

I work on a 15kg and 60kg Petroncini, and while the big machine never seems to need anything other than routine maintenance the little guy has been a lot of bother due to some obvious design flaws.

A Probat could not be simpler in design and is as reliable as a wood burning stove. You fix them with hammers and bad language. Perfect.
Bombcup

Postby Jasonscheltus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:58 am

Why? For the flavour. There have been two roasters in Australia who recently switched from Renegade to Probat, and the flavour of the coffee has improved noticeably.

I use a 5kg probat and can't recommend it more highly. We had a small problem (5-10 green beans getting caught in the drum) when we first commissioned the roaster, but since then it hasn't missed a beat. Probat first sent a replacement face-plate and drum door, then flew a technician out to Australia to diagnose and fix the problem. Turns out it was a casting fault in the door. Really good service, despite the physical barriers.

"The best compromise between price and quality"

It's a funny expression. Either you want the best, or you're willing to compromise because of the price.

Why don't you ask Probat for a demonstration? They have a full lab set up at Emmerich with functioning 1kg, 5kg, and 12kg Probatones.
Jasonscheltus

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques