Secondhand roaster wanted, 2 to 5 kg

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Secondhand roaster wanted, 2 to 5 kg

Postby mnemonix » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:04 pm

Probat L5 would be ideal of course, but anything considered from 2kg up. Would import from mainland Europe if it was worth my while.

Any leads at all would be appreciated, the UK is not an easy place to find secondhand roasters!

Chris
mnemonix

RE: Secondhand roaster wanted, 2 to 5 kg

Postby bruceb » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:04 pm

I've been looking for (and bidding on) this kind of machine for years. It seems that the last, rusty bit of junk is very valuable to someone. The last used L5 here in Germany went for slightly under the new price and had to be disassembled and transported by the buyer immediately after the auction. Good luck on your search.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby mnemonix » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 am

Hi Bruce,

I'm not looking for a 'steal' here as I'm also considering new roasters too but if I can find a secondhand Probat for around the cost of a lesser new one I'd be very happy!

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:09 pm

I understand. That's the way I see it, too. In fact, what I didn't mention is that used roasters are almost as rare as good restaurant coffee. If I come across anything I'll give you a heads up as I'm not in the market at this time.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Tonio » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:23 am

About 2 years ago, we bought one Probat L5 in Hove, UK. At the moment, it is for sale. We still use it and roast some small batches. The L5 is ideal for starting a little roastery and for self-education. The machine was built in 1997, and is ready for some tests, roasts in our settlement, in Kolobrzeg, Poland. More info via e-mail or here: http://www.mastroantonio.eu/probat-lp-5-na-sprzedaz/.
Tonio

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:03 pm

Welcome to TMC Tonio. It might be worth your while posting a for sale thread about your roaster and we will sticky it for visibility. Good luck.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Tonio » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:04 am

Hello, thank you. The machine has been sold to its producer. And its producer is not Probat... Do you know who made Probat roasters a few years ago? :)
Tonio

Postby bruceb » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:39 am

Gimborn Maschinenfabrik GmbH has been manufacturing Probat coffee roasters since 1868 in Emmerich, Germany on the border to the Netherlands. Their roasters have been sold under the name Probat since 1920.

Giesen, a break away company across the border in Uelft, NL, has been making roasters for about 20 years. These are not Probat roasters, however.
bruceb

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques