'Acid' Guatemala

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

'Acid' Guatemala

Postby davidd » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:50 pm

As very much a novice roaster still, I roasted some Guatamala 'strictly hard bean superior' (medium roast) in the Alpenrost (yeh - yeh, I know ... hopefully on the way to a Hottop upgrade!) two days ago. Left them for 24 hrs before drinking (used the bean to cup Jura) only to find a very acidic palate - Ok after a couple of sips, and a good length, but difficult to get past the acidity. Have tried blending with a couple of other beans I like, but still the acidity spoils things. What's likely to be the problem - old beans, wrong roast - or is this a characteristic of this bean? :oops:
davidd

Postby phil » Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:13 pm

A bean to cup machine isn't really suited for this sort of thing. You don't say how dark you roasted, but I'm assuming light-ish, as befits the bean?

You can mute the acidity by roasting darker, but I would recommend roasting such a coffee shy of 2nd crack, leaving it at least 3 and preferably four days, and then drinking it brewed in a press pot or vac pot. There are those that say you get the best out of a bean with an espresso-type machine because of the "superior extraction" but personally I think it emphasises certain characteristics at the expense of others.

Get a press pot out of the cupboard and try again.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby davidd » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:57 pm

Thanks Phil. The roast was medium - just past first crack- certainly not up to second. I'll leave them a couple of days and try them in the press. Can you say a bit more about "superior extraction", and what characteristics might be gained/lost - I have a Pavoni Professional as well as the Jura?
davidd

Postby MKSwing » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:00 am

davidd wrote:Thanks Phil. The roast was medium - just past first crack- certainly not up to second. I'll leave them a couple of days and try them in the press. Can you say a bit more about "superior extraction", and what characteristics might be gained/lost - I have a Pavoni Professional as well as the Jura?

Imho, you shouldn't roast so light if you brew espressi. It's difficult to find beans that won't taste really acidic if you don't go to 2nd crack. The dark side of this, is that you take the risk of muting the most of the characteristics of the bean. I think I'm going to buy a italian moka pot and a pour over for beans that don't benefi from dark roasts.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby mattmills » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:12 pm

Just to put my 2 peneth in.... Dont right of the acidity of the Guat. If you use this in a blend for an espresso you can really reap the benifits, however you only need a small amount. And just a point try tasting the espresso with a little suger... you will find flavours in the coffee that you didnt realise were there.
mattmills

Postby davidd » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:00 pm

Any recomendations as to blend - what would 'smooth out' the Guatamalan best?
davidd

Postby Steve » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:03 pm

Guat in espresso sounds like Star$'s to me ;)
Steve
Founder Member

Postby zix » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:19 am

davidd wrote:Any recomendations as to blend - what would 'smooth out' the Guatamalan best?

Santos is neutral. Yirg lover here would use Yirg, of course.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby tisri » Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:47 pm

I can hardly believe I'm reading this. People suggesting roasting darker before I've pitched in? Wow - perhaps my influence is finally having some effect on everyone ;)
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby zix » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:05 pm

tisri wrote:I can hardly believe I'm reading this. People suggesting roasting darker before I've pitched in? Wow - perhaps my influence is finally having some effect on everyone ;)

No no tisri, its me. My roas...t is darker than yours, my roast... is darker than yours.<g>

/Mats
on the dark side since 1989
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques