Roastery

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roastery

Postby lisagotchi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:06 am

Hi All

I'm a new member and was hoping to ask about training courses and information about how to set up your own Roastery? I've been searching around and can't seem to find much information on this topic so thought I'd come to the experts. I live in Essex but work in London so any of these locations would be good.

I'm just thinking of starting small out of my own home and taking things to markets etc, so nothing major at this stage. I'd really appreciate any advice from people who have gone through this process and who would be happy to give me any helpful tips and info

Anyway would be great to hear from anyone who can help

Thanks very much!

Lisa
lisagotchi

RE: Roastery

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Welcome to TMC Lisa :D

Many of the best UK based artisan professional roasters around can be found on TMC, including one who started by selling at markets, roasting in his own garage - and setting fire to it as well!

I'm sure someone from the pro world will be along with a few tips and suggestions shortly. Meanwhile, a few things to think about.

What is your roasting experience level? Are you aiming to roast in a garage or similar outbuilding? Do you have any idea of the quantity you aim to roast at a time and what sort of budget for equipment did you have in mind?

There are a few homeroasters on the forum with kit in excess of four figures and I would think that is really your absolute base point for any sort of commercial roasting. Even then you would soon find the need to spend several thousand on a more substantial roaster should it all take off.

Good luck with the plan, you will find roasting extremely rewarding and you will find people only to willing to help with advice and tips :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Roastery

Postby GeoffsCigars » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:29 pm

Starting from scratch and learning to roast to a professional standard is no mean feat. Best of Luck!
GeoffsCigars

Postby lisagotchi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:21 am

Good morning all, sat here with my freshly brewed cup of Finca Las Nubes from Monmouth delicous!

Thanks both for responding, I'm pretty sure I'm in for an up hill struggle but this is something I truly think I'll be good at and want to do. I don't know if you get this about other things, but it's like you just kind of know it was meant for you. Probably sounds strange, but hopefully makes a little sense.

Anyway if anyone knows of any courses I could take that would be great, I've got alot of books and articles also started off at home but would love to see how the bigger stuff is done.

Thanks again!

Lisa
lisagotchi

Postby lsjms » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:06 am

something I truly think I'll be good at

Why?

I suppose you will not find much info because you a talking about two subjects. Roasting coffee and the setting up of a business.
I think the bigger stuff is just bigger, unless you are talking about Maragogype, which is another kettle of fish.
lsjms

Postby lisagotchi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:40 am

Isjms thanks for your response.

I know the difference between roasting and setting up a business. Yes there is generic information out there about setting up a business but each sector is unique and there are many courses out there about how to set up your own cafe for example, however I haven't found any about setting up a roastery which is why I posted the question on here. In addition although I roast at home, I would also like to know if there are any courses out there that teach you the fundamentals of roasting, again there are courses for brewing and cupping but I haven't found any for roasting.

You ask why? well who knows but didn't most people start with a dream and a passion for something?

Lisa
lisagotchi

Postby lsjms » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:16 am

I always think if you want to know how to do something really well forget going to see someone with the time to offer training courses. A few years ago I had a lot of downtime after a car crash, I used the time to set up a catering business and went on a lot of courses, all of which were, in reality, pretty crap as the folk doing the training were on the whole ex-businesspeople rather than successful caterers.
I think the chances of finding a course on how to charge a 60kg probat pretty remote but cupping relates to roasting in a big way. Operating a roaster is simple, I imagine the roaster builders themselves would offer training on a roaster you had purchased, getting the results you want from the vast choice of green out here is a different story. Nowadays your green provider will even give you blends and profiles to use on your roaster.
Personally I think if you want to learn, go work for an expert, ideally for free, then the amount of crap jobs you can be given is reduced!
lsjms

Postby lisagotchi » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 am

Isjms thank you very much, all very helpful tips and make alot of sense too. Offering to work for a roastery on a voluntary basis is an excellent idea and one I'd be very willing to do.

Perhaps I'll take a trip round some of the roasteries I know and see if they need any help.

Thanks again

Lisa
lisagotchi

Postby AlexV » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Probat coffee roaster manufacturers run training on how to roast - http://www.probat.com/en/know-how/training.html
The London coffee school also run a roasting course. http://www.londonschoolofcoffee.com/
Cimbali Junior 21, Macap MXT900, Mazzer Kony GOD, Vacuum Coffee Saver
AlexV

Postby Bombcup » Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi Lisa

It's unlikely you'll find a specific course for opening a roastery business, though it is a business like any other and the usual rules apply. As Isjms says you would be best taking training from whichever roaster manufacturer you choose but I would hesitate to pay too much for this - being shown how to use an oven doesn't make you a chef.

In terms of learning to roast, taste, taste and taste some more. Take detailed notes during your home roasting and start learning to correlate what you taste with what occurred during the roast. When you have an idea of cause and effect you'll be well on your way.

Pleased to hear you're enjoying the Las Nubes.
Bombcup

Postby Oli-Cafe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:47 am

Hi Lisa
If you’re looking to get yourself onto a roasting course you should check out the London School of Coffee, which does both roasting and cupping courses. The roasting course is run by a Master Roaster from Denmark and covers the basic process of roasting as well as blending along with self evaluation and a tour of a working roaster to see how it all comes together. It's well worth checking out. See the link below
http://www.londonschoolofcoffee.com/
The LSC also do some very useful cupping courses which show you how to cup coffee, self evaluate and pick flavours from the cup. As well as providing consultants to help you after you've set up.
Hope this helps. Thanks Oli
Oli-Cafe

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques