The mysterious 2nd crack of the Lintong

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The mysterious 2nd crack of the Lintong

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:09 pm

Due to the enthousiasme of SimonP I bought some Sumatra Lintong. The beans are beautiful and the taste is very special. I really love it. Although the taste is very good, I still wonder if I roast dark enough (ok not dark enough for you Tisri :P )

I roast the Sumatre about 23.00 - 23.30 minutes in the Hottop. The first crack starts at approximately 18.30 and ends at 20.30. Then I am waiting for the second crack, and I wait and I wait and finally I think I hear something of a second crack after 22.50 minutes and eject at 23.20. The second crack is definitely not audible as with the Brazilian Cachoera, Nicarague Lazohoren or the Guatemalan Huehuetenango.

So my question is, did I reach the second crack. Maybe because of the big size of the beans I shouldn't roast 250 grams but smaller ortions (let's say 220 grams) or is the second crack of the Lintong a very special one. Again the taste is terrific and they look quite dark.

Hope anyone can help and thanks in advance.

Steven
Last edited by stevenzaat on Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby simonp » Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:23 am

I can't say I remember having trouble hearing 2nd crack myself, but I haven't roasted any on its own for a while.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby tisri » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:04 pm

That seems like a long time - I roasted some Blue Lintong in the Hottop for around 20 minutes. The first pops of second crack were barely audible and I only wanted to edge it into second crack.

The results are heavenly - it's fairly dark although not like my espresso roasts. This is definitely one to restock!
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques