Roasting at Exchange this Saturday.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roasting at Exchange this Saturday.

Postby lsjms » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:40 pm

For fun and good causes I will be roasting coffee on the Hottop at Exchange Coffee stall.

Thanks to Caravan and Coffeehit for the greens. We have some Yirgacheffe, Bolivian Finca Irupana, a natural Brazil and some El Salvador. Maybe some more on the way. If anyone wants a selection of green coffee you invited to come grab some in exchange for a donation to Coffeekids. You could roast your own blend too.

http://exchangecoffee.blogspot.com/2010 ... offee.html
lsjms

RE: Roasting at Exchange this Saturday.

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Looks like a great idea mate. What are you doing for electricity? Extension lead? Variac? Bound to get loads of interest as most people have very little idea about roasting, so a very worthy cause!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby lsjms » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Cheers- Neil's idea, I'm in it for the awesome coffees.

Just a lead, off the markets 32a provision. I have not managed to scrounge a variac yet, so I make do. I planned on taking the tester to see how it compares to the shed.
lsjms

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:37 pm

Very much worth while taking a DMM I would reckon. Also worth checking for fluctuation depending on who is around you and what they might be using.
You're a brave man Lawrence :wink:
Gouezeri

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:55 am

Generally speaking, the Hottop is not particularly voltage sensitive. A voltmeter might be a good idea, nonetheless.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:30 am

:lol: This is quite funny... Bruce, why do we seem not to agree on so many things? :lol: Though I suppose there have been threads where we agreed!

My experience of all electric roasters (and I've tried a few) is that they are always sensitive to line voltage. You can normally work around it, provided things are stable, but if there are fluctuations then there are bound to be effects. Even the boss man agrees with this here

I seem to remember that the Behmor was designed specifically to combat this, and you can certainly configure it dependent on voltage. I've still noticed considerable differences depending on where it was plugged in, in my house.

I'm really liking this roasting idea, even if it is more than a little bonkers. I'd be a little concerned that people would want to try a freshly roasted espresso, which might not be a good idea. However, just showing people how fresh coffee blooms in a FP is likely to be an eye opening experience for most!
Gouezeri

Postby lsjms » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:55 pm

Voltage is the least of my problems, if it is terminal I shall have to demonstrate the Hottop Heat Gun Supercharger technique for Extreme winter conditions. Have fire extinguisher, will roast.

I sort of think people should try an hour old coffee, if only to know what the opposite of stale really is. Personally I have enjoyed a lot of single origin roasts after a two days rest, but no earlier. People will just have to smell it and take it home, besides Neil has two espresso blends and loads of filter options for those who want to drink coffee

Cheers to Monmouth for the Nicaraguan COE samplers.
lsjms

Re: RE: Roasting at Exchange this Saturday.

Postby bruceb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:51 am

Gouezeri wrote::lol: This is quite funny... Bruce, why do we seem not to agree on so many things? :lol: Though I suppose there have been threads where we agreed!

Sorry Dom, maybe I was a bit too terse. In my experience with the various electric roasters it seemed that the Hottop was the least sensitive to voltage fluctuation. I intentionally reduced the voltage to 210 and the roast times and profiles weren't way off.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Re: RE: Roasting at Exchange this Saturday.

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:09 am

S'alright Bruce, you can be short with me, I'm used to things being short :wink:

It's an interesting point though. The Behmor can be set to 220-230-240. I'd be interested to see how much of an effect/advantage this may have.
Hey Stéphane, you got electricity on your market stall? :wink:
Gouezeri

Postby lsjms » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:15 pm

Quite a mental day, the Hottop ran non stop for about 7 hours- with two little breaks to clean the drum. I did 25 or so roasts- about 5kg of green and ran out if bags. The voltage was a steady 239 and there were none of Gouezeri's fluctuating users but the wind made things really hard, it messes with the airflow and drags the chaff into odd places.

Raised over 100 quid for Coffeekids, maybe more, but you can't count it once in the box, lots of people were interested in the roasting, and it certainly added to the vibe at Neil's stall. There was no interest in Heat gun action, thankfully! Chris took some photos, hopefully he will post them here. One guy at the end took a few kg of green to support a 27 shots a day habit.

I was not happy with the results of a lot of the roasts, the wind and the need to chat, answer questions, grind and bag and move the van really put me off my game. As there is a lot of coffee left I plan to make the best of the greens in better roasting conditions and leave bags at Exchange for those who generously donated to take and try. It was all a little off the cuff, random blends, blind roasting but I reckon there is a nice blend to be had from the Brazil natural combined with the Bolivian washed and a little Yirg.

Great day, met a lot of nice folk. The warmth of coffee people continues to surprise me. The pin is still in the fire extinguisher and the roaster surpassed itself.
lsjms

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 pm

really interesting, i learnt so much about coffee yesterday, It was good to see people being generous with the donations too.
Just letting the giant La Bendición beans rest for a few days.

Its made me think seriously about home roasting, but I am having to cut down on caffeine, so i think it wouldn't be the best idea right now... too tempting
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Postby Bombcup » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Glad it went so well Lawrence, sounds like a lot of fun. I'd love a sample if you have any left. I'm impressed the Hottop ran like a commercial machine all day long.
Bombcup

Postby lsjms » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:50 pm

Squirrel- Good to put a face to a name. Those monsters roasted well, but they were very dark at the onset of second (my default), will be interested to hear how they taste.
I think roasting is good for caffeine reduction- roast your allowance really well, buy awesome greens. Stretch it out till the next batch is rested, buy brown coffee only to check you are on your game or as a treat.

Bombcup- I was impressed too, months worth of roasting in a day, I thought heat would build up in the motor area and cook the plastic or the drum cover would overheat. I'll make sure you get a bag.
lsjms

Postby Paksong » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:30 pm

[quote="lsjms"]buy brown coffee only to check you are on your game or as a treat.[/quote]

Sounds like a funny sort of treat to me, more like a punishment. I haven't bought pre-roasted coffee in the last 20 years - I am used to something better!

I agree about the caffein reduction - that is one thing I dislike about most commercially roasted coffees - the caffein level is too high for me, and also the acidity. Roast to a very dark level well into the second crack and make as a thick syrupy ristretto - it will be rich, sweet and intensive, and low in caffein. You should be able to stand the spoon vertically in the middle without it falling over (but it is allowed to slowly sag).

Bhante
Paksong

Postby EspressoSquirrel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 pm

i suppose that all depends on who you buy your pre-roasted from, squaremile, monmouth and hasbean are always a treat! (I had a very pleasant decaf squaremile from flatwhite this morning, this might not be so difficult after all)

I think tomorrow i need a treat though...
silvia and rocky
EspressoSquirrel

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques