RIVAL PP25 Popcorn Popper

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RIVAL PP25 Popcorn Popper

Postby walts » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:29 am

Hi friends. Can anyone tell me if the Rival PPO25 Popcorn Popper is one of the side vented models, or if it has the hot air coming through the bottom center? I need to get into roasting my own beans and this seems like the cost effective way to get started. Apparently only the side vented ones are safe to use. Anyone help me on this one? Or, If anyone has experience of a better model available in the Uk, then any info would be appreciated.
Bialetti Brikka 2 cup Mokka Pot.
Rival.PP25. Popcorn roaster.
Krups. GVX2 Coffee Grinder.
walts

Postby simonp » Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:01 am

Yep, they are side vented, and excellent for roasting. It has a strong fan, and if you add a tin-can chimney you can do 140g+ at a time.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby walts » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:52 am

Thanks Simon. That has made me feel happier about buying this piece of equipment. Now all I need to do is work out some way of utilising a timer to set the roasting times. Being deaf, there is no way that I will hear either first crack or second. Could anyone give me some realistic times ( using the RIVAL PP25) that I could use as guidelines for this. Then I could experiment with greater or lesser times as I go along. I like a dark roast at the moment, though this might change later on, who knows? I just want to drink great coffee. Walt.
walts

Postby mnemonix » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:39 am

Doing it on time alone is a tough one, there are so many variables - line voltage, ambient temperature, amount of beans in the load, variations between poppers even.

I suppose you need other clues too. Colour is obviously a good one. First crack is usually over when the beans stop expanding in size. How's your sense of smell ? that might be the best way of feeling for 2nd crack, when it's getting 'roasty' and finally, the first hints of smoke are usually some way into 2nd crack.

As a VERY rough guideline, with say 100g of beans, I would expect the whole process to last between 3 and 5 minutes in an unmodified popper, but perhaps you'll just have to start by running a batch from start to 'smoking' to give yourself an idea of the limits.

Make notes when you roast obviously so when you do get it right you can repeat the results, best of luck !

Chris
mnemonix

Postby mnemonix » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:43 am

I missed the obvious - a cheap digital thermometer from Maplins, they're pretty accurate and I seem to remember picking one up £9.99 once. Needs to be a K type thermocouple, and go up to 400ºc. This is probably the best tool apart from your senses to help you know where your roast is at and when to stop it.

Chris.
mnemonix

Postby walts » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:56 pm

Thanks Chris. Some very reasuring advice there. I shall look into the K Type. We do have a local Maplins here in Hull. The timing advice is really good and gives me more hope of achieving a decent roast than I had before I asked. Thanks again. Walt.
walts

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques