Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Postby Ian » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:04 am

For the past several years I've been roasting in the old chicken house (now garden shed) and TBH it's beginning to lose its appeal, especially in winter.

As we're considering a new roaster I was wondering who was roasting indoors either with or without an extractor, as that would be an influential factor in the decision process.

Cheers

Ian
Ian

RE: Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am

We have the Pinhalense two barrel sample roaster in a garage type area with a decent quality cooker hood extactor venting externally. The Pinha produces a fair bit of smoke but the extractor deals with the bulk of it admirably. The venting scenario cost around £80 including metal ducting.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Raf » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

I put my behmor underneath the kitchen vent (a big one, though). Works fine. I roast in the morning, a faint smell lingers during the first hours after roasting. But that's usually when we're at work, so it doesn't bother anyone.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Gouezeri » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:34 pm

Behmor here, modded with a few feet of metal venting hose, shoved out a window. Works fine for smoke, you still have quite a lingering roasting smell (which I like, but not everyone does). There was talk of an adaptor for the behmor to be able to add venting without undoing the screws, it's no big hassle though.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby bruceb » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 pm

3kw commercial extractor with 30cm diameter exhaust ducting. No smoke problems with any roaster so far.
Attachments
Hurricane_01.jpg
Hurricane_01.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 10025 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby JulieJayne » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 pm

I tried roasting with the Gene in the kitchen with the extractor on. It was great in the kitchen, but several passersby, were heard to comment on the coffee smell emanating from the kitchen. And the aroma lingered in the small sidestreet for some time. Great you may think, but the local council frowns on such "offensive" smells!

So I moved it up to the spare room at the top of the house, open a window and from the third floor, no one is any the wiser.
Espresso: BFC TCI Lira.
Grinders: Eureka Mignon (2), Mahlkonig Guatemala,
Roaster: Gene Cafe.
Retired... Cimbali Junior, Cimbali Alinox.
JulieJayne

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:27 am

My extractor exhausts right above the playground of the Kindergarten next door. If I roast when the kids are there they stand around and sniff the "burning chocolate." If they weren't hyperactive before I guess they get that way quickly. :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GeoffsCigars » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm

Something that I've never understood is that when I roast (using a Behmor) the smell in the kitchen isn't the lovely fresh-roast smell that I'd anticipated that I would get.

However, I stand the roaster on the stovetop, with the ducted extractor fan running - and the smell outside the house is amazing!

There must be a reason - anyone know why?
GeoffsCigars

Re: RE: Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Postby GeorgeW » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 pm

bruceb wrote:3kw commercial extractor with 30cm diameter exhaust ducting. No smoke problems with any roaster so far.

I would imagine that you could have a nice sideline in Hindu funerals with that extractor Bruce.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

RE: Re: RE: Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Postby lsjms » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:55 pm

I think this is like kitchen extractors. On the way down the tube a lot of the tar and oil etc condenses in the tube and by the time it gets on the street it 's more of an aroma filled air and less of a smoke.
I too roast in the shed, where the smell is quite strong and acrid, up the garden it smells delicious.

Winter roasting has been tough, I have to use a heat gun to preheat or I'm out there ages. My belay jacket smell very odd now.
lsjms

RE: Re: RE: Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Postby Tristan » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:15 pm

I put my gene on top of the stove. No smoke problems, but the house does smell like a roastery for a few hours after!
The Wild Drink Blog
www.tristanstephenson.com
Expobar Brewtus II, Vario
Tristan

Postby bruceb » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:01 pm

GeoffsCigars wrote:Something that I've never understood is that when I roast (using a Behmor) the smell in the kitchen isn't the lovely fresh-roast smell that I'd anticipated that I would get.

However, I stand the roaster on the stovetop, with the ducted extractor fan running - and the smell outside the house is amazing!

I don't know exactly, but I certainly would never use the words "lovely" and "fresh-roast smell" in one sentence. Coffee roasting smells, the smell of freshly ground fresh beans and the smell of freshly brewed coffee have little to do with one another. Roasting smoke is smoke and to me it smells like burning chocolate. I only like the smell because I know that I will soon have a lovely fresh cup.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:08 am

bruceb wrote:I don't know exactly, but I certainly would never use the words "lovely" and "fresh-roast smell" in one sentence. Coffee roasting smells, the smell of freshly ground fresh beans and the smell of freshly brewed coffee have little to do with one another. Roasting smoke is smoke and to me it smells like burning chocolate. I only like the smell because I know that I will soon have a lovely fresh cup.

Oh I love the smell of roasting, I love the smell that lingers afterwards, I love the smell of freshly ground beans and I love the smell of freshly brewed coffee. These different but wonderful aromas have a great deal to do with why I love roasting, grinding, brewing and drinking coffee. :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby Rujir » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:59 am

The question is, if the neighbours love those smells, too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." Abraham Lincoln
Rujir

Postby bruceb » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:59 am

Many lifetimes ago I used to repair and race prepare sports and racing cars. I loved the smell of the exhaust, the smell of burnt rubber, the smell of transmission and differential oil. Nonetheless, I don't think I would ever describe them as "lovely." The same is true of roasting smoke. :lol: :lol:
bruceb

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques