Behmor or other roasters indoors?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:33 am

Rujir wrote:The question is, if the neighbours love those smells, too. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes the neighbours have commented on the wonderful aroma after I have been roasting coffee.

bruceb wrote:Many lifetimes ago I used to repair and race prepare sports and racing cars. I loved the smell of the exhaust, the smell of burnt rubber, the smell of transmission and differential oil. Nonetheless, I don't think I would ever describe them as "lovely." The same is true of roasting smoke.:lol: :lol:

This explains why you like OBJ.:wink:

I guess if we all loved the same things the world would be a miserable place. I certainly would and do describe these aromas as lovely. I use an extractor to remove most of the smoke of roasting, the remaining aroma as the roast nears completion is ……. well …… lovely.:D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby HughF » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Both my wife and I really like the smell of roasting coffee but then I rarely roast into second. I have a HotTop P and the smoke detector in the next room (with an open door in between) will not trip from the HotTop usage. A couple of kitchen windows are opened only 20mm during roasting, no other ventilation to the outside.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby motoman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:22 pm

With the relatively small amount of beans we roast there is probably little roast smell and the burning chaff is the not so pleasant pong.

I do my roasting in the cave, the natives never complain.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:04 pm

I got a Behmor in the end, been a bit busy so haven't used it much.

The first roast was in the conservatory with the double doors open (I had previously said to the Mrs "Don't worry, you won't smell a thing"). Admittedly the roast was a little darker than I had wanted and there was still a noticeable aroma when I came down the next morning. The Behmor has now been relegated to the old chicken house.

There is less smell and smoke than popper roasting but I can't really see me using it indoors at all.
Ian

Postby Gouezeri » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:36 pm

Don't think I've ever read about somebody under roasting their first batch in a behmor (at least in the EU) :wink:
What batch size did you go for? I mainly seem to roast 300g these days, and really don't get any visible smoke using the metal venting/chimney mod and cracking open the door during cooling (this will result in loose chaff though). So that may be worth a try. I do find that it is sensitive to line current and ambien temperature, so this may be something to keep in mind if roasting from the chicken house.

Given the rotisserie oven origins of the behmor, maybe it is appropriate that you have ended up in the chicken house! :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Ian » Mon May 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Sorry for the late reply Gouez, I wasn't ignoring you, just been away for a bit.

Yep, the first roast was well over done and the second was a little under.

Since then I've had reasonably good results with 6oz. (170g) of greens and the following settings: 1/2 P4 D Start this gives a 15:00 roast time then manually hit the cooling button and open the door at the same time.

The next stage is to experiment with the different profiles to see what they give.

300g is a bit much for me at the moment whilst experimenting but might go up to that once I'm getting reliable results. What settings are you using for 300g then?

Cheers

Ian
Ian

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques