the right fire extinguisher

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

the right fire extinguisher

Postby jossy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:54 pm

I searched past TMC posts for "extinguisher" and found lots of recommendations for buying "the right" fire extinguisher and having it at hand when you roast, but no advice on what is the right extinguisher....

Hence my question: :evil: WHAT IS THE RIGHT FIRE EXTINGUISHER TO HAVE AT HAND WHEN YOU ROAST COFFEE WITH A HOME ROASTER? :twisted:

Is there anybody out there with fire expertise who can give an educated answer to this question?

Links to European amazon or equivalent webshops that sell the right equipment would be appreciated.
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

RE: the right fire extinguisher

Postby Jasonscheltus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:12 am

Depends on what kind of roaster you have and what kind of fire you're interested in...

There are numerous of both kinds - a little more info would help.
Jasonscheltus

Postby zix » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:21 pm

I particularly like carbon dioxide. Very clean, it leaves almost no trace after it. Often used for electronics and in restaurant kitchens. You need to get close to the fire.
The lady in the picture is using one. A bit too far from the fire though if you ask me, I would want to go closer than that
For big fires you need something else. See below.
http://www.dn.se/sharedmedia/dn/blog/17/73/77/145/20081216/brand900.jpg
I think this would qualify as a class B extinguisher by British standards too - right? (AB perhaps)

Powder is very versatile and powerful, but also very dirty. Class ABC I think. Have a look at the video below.
http://www.karlshamn.se/upload/9062/Pulver%202%20kg.wmv
It contaminates your entire room, you will have send someone in afterwards to clean it. Probably not good at all for the roaster.
But better than burning down the whole house, of course.

Powder works for everything. If you only have one single extinguisher, this is you will usually get recommended.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby jossy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:40 am

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply! I am currently roasting with an iRoast2 and a Behmor 1600, expecting a Quest M3 to be delivered in the next few days. All these are electrical roasters. The latter is not CE marked so I decided to take precautions.
Quest M3 - iRoast2 - Mahlkönig Vario - PIDed Gaggia Classic at home - - Electric Cezve/Ibriki and Iberital MC2 at work - Aeroporess - Hario TCA Syphons - Hario Skerton and Porlex Hand Grinders - Chemex
jossy

Postby EricC » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:06 pm

jossy wrote: expecting a Quest M3 to be delivered in the next few days.

Congratulations, :D , you decided to go for it then. 8)
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby jossy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:20 pm

I did! I can't wait for it to arrive... Thanks for the congratulations. I may ask for some advice.

A friend pointed me to: www.cafemino.com
Looks interesting? Possible upgrade from a Quest in a few years. I need to find a bigger house before I can consider it :mrgreen:
jossy

Postby lsjms » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:13 pm

Jossy could I ask what it cost to get the M3?
I have an old style hot top and am jealous of your full manual control and bean viewer!

I do not know how big the M3 is but a fire blanket is good for standalone catering appliances, and clean. You can get a big 1.8 x1.7 one for about £25, if your are really worried I'd have a little CO2 on the side (and you can make dry ice for the top of your frappe)

Hope you enjoy the new roaster
lsjms

Postby jossy » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:40 pm

The M3 currently goes for $1000 incl. postage to UK.

I have an old style hot top and am jealous of your full manual control and bean viewer!

Manual control is precisely why I wanted to buy it in the first place! It will probably cost me a lot in spoilt beans but I'm hoping to get a better feeling for the roasting process in the long term.

Thanks for your tips about the fire blanket. I already ordered a CO2 extinguisher.
jossy

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:28 am

If you're looking for fire extinguishers (in the future), order online through someone like simply extinguishers, as the differences in price can be pretty major. A good source of CO2 for any aquarists around here :wink:
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby lsjms » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:39 pm

probably cost me a lot in spoilt beans

I have an massive oversupply of greens.see here for reason;
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=8179

If you want a few kilos, as control beans let me know. I find it very useful to have one bean in abundance so I can play(ruin) lots of batches messing with times, temps and weights without worrying about the expense.
lsjms

Postby EricC » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:08 pm

jossy wrote:I did! I can't wait for it to arrive... Thanks for the congratulations. I may ask for some advice.

A friend pointed me to: www.cafemino.com
Looks interesting? Possible upgrade from a Quest in a few years. I need to find a bigger house before I can consider it :mrgreen:

No problem.

Very nice, although if one of those arrived at our house my wife would either divorce or kill me. :shock: :lol: :lol:

All the Best
Eric
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby Gouezeri » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:19 pm

If it comes to the latter, can I have your GS/3? please... tis Christmas and all... good will (and coffee machines to all men) :D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby Scoobs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:06 pm

I was a fireman in the airforce in South Africa 20 years ago so have a little experience:-)

I would recommend using BCF if you can still get one (messes the ozone layer up quite badly so they don't make them anymore) or alternatively a Halon 1 extinguisher which you can still get I believe. They are safe for use on electronic components, very clean unlike powder and once everything is over the stuff will have evaporated so only fire leftovers to clean up.

Wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromochlorodifluoromethane

Co2 will also work but does not have the temperature absorbing qualities of the Halon so the fire may reignite once the CO2 is dispersed which is obviously a problem.

Enjoy, hopefully no fires but better to be prepared :-)

JohnB
Scoobs

Postby orrinoconnor » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:48 pm

To the best of my knowledge Halon is the trade name for Bromochlorodifluoromethane (BCF)
I happen to have one!
They can still be got but I think the availability is restricted to airlines for use on board planes.
I think some security forces can have them as well!
It's definitely the best and can be used on any fire.
The BFC gas seeks out the flame and starves it of oxygen!
orrinoconnor

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques