I've acquired a popcorn popper!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

I've acquired a popcorn popper!

Postby DrZeus » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:55 am

After searching high and low, I finally found the right kind of air popper needed to roast coffee! I would have brought mine from the States, but I didn't want to deal with power conversions and all that, so I've been without fresh-roasted coffee for 6 months. I have 1/2 cup of Ethopian Harar left, which I'm going to roast today. I'm going to use this popper without modifications, so that I can practice and perfect my sensory skills. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Anybody wanna send me some green? I'll pay for it, of course. :)
DrZeus

Postby phil » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:54 pm

If you haven't got any green by the time I get back I'll send you some. Anything preferred?

Interesting new avatar btw. That makes Sunnyfield the only person without one. Still, I guess a picture of a PID is a bit boring eh Eward?
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:29 pm

Oh, I have a lot of fun little images I can use for avatars. Next month, perhaps I'll use "Dr. Frankenweenie" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show. :)

I have no preferences for green...I'll take what I can get, since it's not to be found here. :) Thanks, Phil!
DrZeus

Postby DrZeus » Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:19 pm

Well...I just finished roasting. I must say, first of all, that it was an exhilarating experience. Second of all, I'm not sure the coffee will be drinkable. :) This was my first roast in 6 months on a machine I've never used before -- I was very much caught unprepared. Essentially, what I wasn't expecting was that the first and second cracks came almost right on top of each other. As soon as I realized what happened, I cut the power, dumped the beans, and began the "colander dance." They were almost black, and completely covered with oil. Not my preference, but I'm going to let them rest and give it a try in the morning.

I wanted to throw in another batch, then another and another until I got it right, but alas...I'll have to wait until I can get more green.
DrZeus

Postby DrZeus » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:47 pm

After a 12-hour rest, I french-pressed a cup. Just as I suspected -- it was way too dark. Worse than Charburnt, even. :oops:

Has anybody made modifications to an air popper before? The first and second cracks came right on top of each other, and so I'm thinking the temperature escalated too fast. Any ideas?
DrZeus

Postby Sunnyfield » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:02 pm

Try fewer beans or perhaps more beans in one go!?
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby phil » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:06 pm

Or try using a light dimmer (preferably only on the heater circuit) to slow it down?
phil
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:36 pm

Ah, thanks!
DrZeus

Postby Steve » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:13 pm

with out doing a push I can send you some green if you need some, I can send to europe as well
Steve
Founder Member

Postby DrZeus » Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:20 pm

Eeffoc, wanna PM me your inventory and prices (including what it would cost to ship to Faro, Portugal)?

Thanks!
DrZeus

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques