RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RE: A further update to RoastLogger is available.

Postby bruceb » Wed May 28, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks Greenie! Although I only use the basic features of RoastLogger I am appreciative of it and your efforts every time I roast. I have now done almost 500 roasts using it and it's interesting to compare the curves from then and now.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby silron1 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 pm

Thanks for the latest update GB - There are some nice little touches.
silron1

Postby GreenBean » Thu May 29, 2014 8:40 am

You are very welcome guys. :D

It seems there has been a problem with the site hosting all of the images in my posts in the last several hours. This has stopped all my images in all posts from displaying. I apologise for this and think (hope) that it is now resolved.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Roast logger

Postby olddogTim » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Is there any wat to get Roastlogger to show the fan and heater on the Roastlogger CHART? :? :?: That would help me a lot to be able to see the change that happens on the chart when you make a fan or heater change!
Getting old STINKS, but it's better than not getting old! Tim
Equipment= HotTop KN-8828B-2K w/ HTC-TC4C, Cona-C vac pot, Baratza Vituoso, Areo Press.
olddogTim

Re: Roast logger

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Hi Tim, welcome to TMC :D As your question is related to the RoastLogger, I have taken the liberty of moving your post into the RoastLogger thread.

olddogTim wrote:Is there any wat to get Roastlogger to show the fan and heater on the Roastlogger CHART? :? :?: That would help me a lot to be able to see the change that happens on the chart when you make a fan or heater change!

I have been asked to do this a few times but have resisted it as it would be a plot of heater/fan adjustments against roast time. This is against the control philosophy used by the RoastLogger. Controlling the heater and fan based on elapsed time provides poor control as time is a poor indicator of roast progress.

The RoastLogger provides the ability to adjust the heater and fan settings based on bean temperature before first crack start and time after first crack start. This provides much better control than elapsed roast time. Whilst the RoastLogger allows manual control of the heater and fan it is recommended that people use the Action tables to script the required changes. This can be achieved with or without the use of the PID. These scripted changes will always occur exactly as scripted at the indicated bean temperature so plotting them on the chart does not provide any additional information.

What I am trying to say here is that if I did provide this information on the chart and you tried to follow a previous roast by adjusting the heater and fan at the same elapsed time you would be unlikely to be happy with the result. Changes in mains voltage, charge weight, ambient temperature etc. would mean that the new roast would progress differently than the template roast.

In addition to the above I have a personal aversion to cluttered charts. I believe strongly in showing the key information as clearly and simply as possible.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby olddogTim » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:21 pm

GreenBean wrote:Hi Tim, welcome to TMC :D As your question is related to the RoastLogger, I have taken the liberty of moving your post into the RoastLogger thread.

olddogTim wrote:Is there any wat to get Roastlogger to show the fan and heater on the Roastlogger CHART? :? :?: That would help me a lot to be able to see the change that happens on the chart when you make a fan or heater change!

I have been asked to do this a few times but have resisted it as it would be a plot of heater/fan adjustments against roast time. This is against the control philosophy used by the RoastLogger. Controlling the heater and fan based on elapsed time provides poor control as time is a poor indicator of roast progress.

The RoastLogger provides the ability to adjust the heater and fan settings based on bean temperature before first crack start and time after first crack start. This provides much better control than elapsed roast time. Whilst the RoastLogger allows manual control of the heater and fan it is recommended that people use the Action tables to script the required changes. This can be achieved with or without the use of the PID. These scripted changes will always occur exactly as scripted at the indicated bean temperature so plotting them on the chart does not provide any additional information.

What I am trying to say here is that if I did provide this information on the chart and you tried to follow a previous roast by adjusting the heater and fan at the same elapsed time you would be unlikely to be happy with the result. Changes in mains voltage, charge weight, ambient temperature etc. would mean that the new roast would progress differently than the template roast.

In addition to the above I have a personal aversion to cluttered charts. I believe strongly in showing the key information as clearly and simply as possible.

I am new to roasting but I always roast by temputure, sound (the cracks) sight, and smell in that order.It would only be for referrence to see what happens on the chart when an action starts.
Equipment= HotTop KN-8828B-2K w/ HTC-TC4C, Cona-C vac pot, Baratza Vituoso, Areo Press.
olddogTim

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:39 am

olddogTim wrote:I am new to roasting but I always roast by temputure, sound (the cracks) sight, and smell in that order.It would only be for referrence to see what happens on the chart when an action starts.

If you leave the Arduino Controller and the relevant action tables open during a roast you can see exactly when any action occurs as the check box against the action will be checked when it is performed. This will always be at the programmed bean temperature or seconds after first crack so it isn't really necessary to check this. You can see the result of the action by looking at the chart when the actions check box is checked or by looking at what happens after the action trigger temperature or time after first crack is reached.

I believe that the best way to improve your roasts and, at the same time, get a feel for the effect of changes in settings is to follow the advice in section 5 of the RoastLogger manual by Randy Glass. You can make small adjustments in settings and directly compare the results of the changes between any two roasts in the chart. I suggest this is best done after cupping the resulting roasts. When you find the latest roast is better or worse or just different than previous roasts you can load up the log for the latest roast as the current roast and any previous roast as the template. This will reproduce both roast profiles in the chart allowing you to directly compare exactly what changed between the two roasts. Doing this after you detect any change in the cupping results will allow you to quickly find what works best for you and what the effect of small changes in settings will be.

I find it convenient to note changes in settings in the chart left hand title. This is offered as the file name when saving the log and will then be displayed in the title whenever you reload the log as the current roast or the template.

I believe that the above approach will allow you to improve your roasts more easily and quickly than concerning yourself with the elapsed roast time, in a particular roast, when a heater of fan setting was changed.

GreenBean

Postby olddogTim » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:12 am

GreenBean wrote:
olddogTim wrote:I am new to roasting but I always roast by temputure, sound (the cracks) sight, and smell in that order.It would only be for referrence to see what happens on the chart when an action starts.

If you leave the Arduino Controller and the relevant action tables open during a roast you can see exactly when any action occurs as the check box against the action will be checked when it is performed. This will always be at the programmed bean temperature or seconds after first crack so it isn't really necessary to check this. You can see the result of the action by looking at the chart when the actions check box is checked or by looking at what happens after the action trigger temperature or time after first crack is reached.

I believe that the best way to improve your roasts and, at the same time, get a feel for the effect of changes in settings is to follow the advice in section 5 of the RoastLogger manual by Randy Glass. You can make small adjustments in settings and directly compare the results of the changes between any two roasts in the chart. I suggest this is best done after cupping the resulting roasts. When you find the latest roast is better or worse or just different than previous roasts you can load up the log for the latest roast as the current roast and any previous roast as the template. This will reproduce both roast profiles in the chart allowing you to directly compare exactly what changed between the two roasts. Doing this after you detect any change in the cupping results will allow you to quickly find what works best for you and what the effect of small changes in settings will be.

I find it convenient to note changes in settings in the chart left hand title. This is offered as the file name when saving the log and will then be displayed in the title whenever you reload the log as the current roast or the template.

I believe that the above approach will allow you to improve your roasts more easily and quickly than concerning yourself with the elapsed roast time, in a particular roast, when a heater of fan setting was changed.

I understand what you are saying BUT for me it is easier to use a chart less distracting!
olddogTim

Requests for updates

Postby GreenBean » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:40 am

There have been many updates to the RoastLogger over recent years. Most of these involve changes requested by users that have significantly improved the program to the benefit of all users. I have, however, regretted making a few changes that may benefit a few users but are to the detriment of most as they add to the complexity and/or detract from the usability for all.

There is a trade off in any software between simplicity/ease of setup, configuration and use and the number of options/configurability to meet niche requirements. Any software, such as RoastLogger, that is multi-platform, can communicate with a variety of different devices (webcams, multimeters, digital thermometers, Arduinos, TC4/C etc.) using different communication technologies/protocols, log and chart roast profiles and also control a coffee roaster is necessarily complex.

The RoastLogger has always been intended to hide most of this complexity to make it as simple to understand and as easy to configure and use as possible. To maintain this it is, unfortunately, necessary to decline some requests for change. Whilst I understand the frustration of anyone who has their request for a change declined I hope they will understand that I have to decide what is, in my opinion, in the interest of most users.

GreenBean

RE: Requests for updates

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:04 pm

I won't pretend to have understood either of the sides of the discussion above, but I will say that I just roasted 3 kg of coffee including 300g of (ahem) decaf for a friend who is coming to visit on the weekend and who, after 5 strokes is finally taking her doctor's advice about avoiding caffeine, and I would have been lost without my RoastLogger. Although I use it in the simplest possible manner with a webcam reading the digital display of my CoffeeTech Maggiolino the RoastLogger saves me from having to experiment and from repeating mistakes. I just go back and look for a roast with the same amount of the same bean and read the results, look at the curve and use it as a template. It works a charm and I have not had to bin a batch of beans in years. I really appreciate your efforts on our behalf, Mr. GB! :D

ps - Last month I did my 1000th roast with the RoastLogger.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:18 am

One thousand roasts with RoastLogger is seriously impressive Bruce 8) I would be surprised if anyone can beat that record :D You are in good company using a webcam to read your roasters display. A significant number of people still do this to avoid the need to install thermocouples. Actually, not just coffee roaster displays or temperature readings. A number of people have contacted me over the last few years to advise that they are using it in schools and universities to log and chart various experiments and research projects. I have even been approached by a large company who wish to use it to record the calibration of digital instrumentation.

GreenBean

A further update to RoastLogger is available.

Postby GreenBean » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:41 am

A further update to the RoastLogger to version 2.1.5 24/8/2014 is available. This update adds the functionality to configure RoastLogger to start up in different modes. Currently two modes are implemented, full RoastLogger mode and a simplified interface for those who use the Controller for input/control. This update also provides an option to auto open the active action table when the relevant stage of the roast is reached and a number of other changes.

For further information on the changes in this update please see the following version information and the RoastLogger website.

Version 2.1.5 24/8/2014

1. Added the functionality to configure RoastLogger to start up in either of two different modes, full RoastLogger mode, or a mode offering a simplified interface for users who only use the Controller for input/control. In the simplified mode all input tabs except the Controller are removed. All controls and menu items associated with the removed input tabs are also removed and the main window title is changed to “RoastLogger Hottop Controller” to distinguish it from the full RoastLogger version. Whilst this mode is intended for the growing number of Hottop roaster users who control their roaster via an HTRI board it can be used by anyone who uses the Controller for input/control. To change startup mode check or uncheck the Config. menu > ‘Start in RoastLogger Hottop Controller mode in future’, and then restart RoastLogger.

2. Changed the main window title from "RoastLogger with Arduino Controller" to "RoastLogger & Controller”. Renamed Arduino Controller to “Controller”. Changed the T1 and T2 labels on the banner, main window status area and chart to T1-BT and T2-ET. Changed a number of other labels and tooltips.

3. Added a menu option to auto open the active action table and close all others. This should be useful to users with low resolution displays where it is not possible to have all relevant action tables open at the same time. When this option is checked the following actions cause the tables to open and close automatically:

Start or reset for a new roast - opens the Action at start and reset table and closes other tables
    Load beans button pressed - opens the Action at T1 table and closes other tables
    First crack stat button pressed - opens the Action at secs. after FC table and closes other tables
4. Changed the default setting for the Controller slider granularity for a new installation to 1% steps (previously default was 5% steps).

5. Updated the Help Contents to cover the above.

6. Updated the splash screen

GreenBean

Malware warning from Google Chrome on Windows OS

Postby GreenBean » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 am

A user downloading the latest version of RoastLogger.zip via Google Chrome on Windows has reporting that Chrome is reporting RoastLogger.zip as malware. I have investigated this and my current thoughts on this are:

1. To the best of my knowledge and belief RoastLogger.zip does not contain malware. This appears to be a Windows version of Google Chrome false positive issue not a RoastLogger issue. When I google “Google Chrome false positives” I get about 323,000 hits. Many software developers seem to be suffering with this issue and it does not look as though any good solution exists.

2. As far as I can tell no other browser in any operating system is reporting RoastLogger.zip as malware. Google Chrome on OS X is not reporting RoastLogger.zip as malware. This false positive issue appears to be limited to the Windows version of Google Chrome.

3. None of the antivirus scanners available to me report any problem with the contents of RoastLogger.zip.

4. The RoastLogger website has been registered with Google Webmaster Tools for many years. They scan the website for any security issues every few days and provide reports on any problems found. No security issue whatsoever has ever been reported regarding the contents of the site.

5. Prior to this issue no RoastLogger user has ever reported any concerns regarding any malware associated with RoastLogger.

6. I have tried restoring the previously released version of RoastLogger.zip containing RoastLogger version 2.1.3. Google Chrome on Windows is now reporting this as malware. This version was released three months ago and no users have reported any problems associated with it.

7. It is possible that Chrome is flagging the file as malware due to it being updated (by me to the latest version) since the file was last actually scanned by Google. If this is the case then the malware notice should go when the file is actually scanned in the coming days. If not then, hopefully, a future update to Chrome will resolve this issue. In the meantime I suggest that any user who are concerned use their favourite virus scanner(s) to check RoastLogger.zip. They can do this after download and before running RoastLogger to satisfy themselves that it is malware free.

GreenBean

Update on above malware warning

Postby GreenBean » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 am

It looks as though the malware warning from Google Chrome on Windows has resolved itself. less than one hour after posting the above warning I checked downloading RoastLogger.zip with Google chrome on Windows again and it downloaded without problems or warnings. I have made no changes to RoastLogger.zip since I posted the version 2.1.5 update on 25/8/2014 so it looks as though this is a Google Chrome on Windows false positive issue as I suspected.

I have since tested downloading again a few more times without any problems. I do not normally work in Windows or use Chrome but I will check again a few times over the next few days to ensure that it really is resolved. If anyone has further problems please let me know. See the feedback section of the RoastLogger website for contact details.

It looks as though this is going to be a new “Feature” of Google Chrome on Windows that will flag any update I make as malware for a few days before actually scanning the file to find that it does not contain malware. This new feature is likely to shorten my life by several years and cause unnecessary concern for RoastLogger users. :(

GreenBean

RE: Update on above malware warning

Postby bruceb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:35 pm

I hate to throw more fuel on the fire, but I am still getting the warning from Chrome this afternoon. In the meantime I have installed the new version of RoastLogger with no problems. This problem with Chromes is very irritating, but don't let it get to you GB. These things tend to get straightened up by themselves in due time. Thanks for the good update.
bruceb

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques