RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:44 am

I am still experimenting with environment temperature measurement on the Hottop and took some photos of the setup including the Victor 86 C multimeter during a recent roast. The environment (blue) temperature is read directly from the Victor 86c multimeter via it's USB connection and the bean temperature (red) from the Hottop display via a webcam.

The chart produced, I have removed the template curves for clarity:

A cut down copy of the log produced showing the main roast stages:

Log created at 10:17:33 02/02/2010
Use Options|show log template form to modify this template.
------------------------------------------------------
Bean/Blend name:De Lujo

Profile description:
Load at BT of 120 C - power down to 70% at 196 C and down to 20% 60 secs. into FC
fan on one from 3 mins. to end of roast

Roast notes:

Cupping results:

Roast Logger Copyright © T. R. Coxon (GreenBean TMC).
Roast started at 10:23:40 02/02/2010
Elapsed time , OCR 1 , OCR/DMM2 , Event type
00:00,118,185,Beans loaded
00:05,111,180,timer
00:10,109,176,timer
00:15,107,174,timer

12:10,205,226,timer
12:12,205,226,First crack start
12:15,205,226,timer

14:15,211,226,timer
14:18,211,226,First crack end
14:20,211,226,timer

15:25,213,225,timer
15:30,213,225,timer
15:32,213,225,Second crack start
15:32,213,225,Beans ejected

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:33 am

It can't be easy running tests living in a sideways house :roll:, I think it's going very well :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 pm

CakeBoy wrote:It can't be easy running tests living in a sideways house :roll:, I think it's going very well :D

Oh well spotted.:lol: :lol: I thought it was worth it to ensure that my photos do not mess with your page widths. I spent some years living in Australia so I am used to upside down houses. Living in a sideways house is no problem after that. :wink: :D

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Dizzy now, need muffins :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Scoobs » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi Green Bean

Wanted to see what you thought of using an Arduino for the data logging?

I am interested in being able to capture more than one temperature reading (bean temp and drum air temp) and perhaps a few other variables such as ambient temp, humidity etc as well. I was looking at the Arduino as it has 6 imputs and thought that it would be a good option due to it's cost and the open source nature of the software and hardware.

How easily do you think it would it be able to interface to your software?

Regards

JohnB
Scoobs

Postby GreenBean » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:50 am

Scoobs wrote:Hi Green Bean

Wanted to see what you thought of using an Arduino for the data logging?

I am interested in being able to capture more than one temperature reading (bean temp and drum air temp) and perhaps a few other variables such as ambient temp, humidity etc as well. I was looking at the Arduino as it has 6 imputs and thought that it would be a good option due to it's cost and the open source nature of the software and hardware.

How easily do you think it would it be able to interface to your software?

Regards

JohnB

Hi John,

When I decided to add the facility to read data directly from a specific multimeter to this logger I chose the Victor 86 C multimeter. The main reason for this was that it uses a modern USB HID interface allowing the program to read the multimeter in just about any operating system without the user worrying about suitable drivers etc. Please see my post in this thread dated 16 January 2010 for further information.

The Arduino boards are good but they are only suitable for people who are comfortable with electronics and programming. It is of course possible to modify this program to read data from an Arduino board but, considering the small number of people who would use this, I do not consider it worthwhile. I think that data logging is very useful for variables that change during the roast such as bean temperature and environment temperature but do not understand why you would want more than a simple record of ambient temperature and humidity unless you believe that they will change during the roast.

The Victor 86 multimeters are good quality and only cost about £30, they are a complete solution for temperature measurement, and can be used by anybody. I have recently ordered a Victor 86 B multimeter to test with the logger as I expect it will have some advantages over the 86 C. Once that arrives (a few weeks) I will confirm if it works with this logger and confirm the advantages/disadvantages of each multimeter.

I am also considering modifying the logger to read from up to two multimeters (86 B or 86 C) in addition to two webcams and may do this in the next few months. I expect that, for most users, two temperature inputs would be sufficient and the multimeters would be a very much simpler and cheaper option that will work "out of the box".

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:04 pm

An update to the Roast Logger is now available that adds a general notes tab and improves functionality in a number of areas see details or download here.

I am still awaiting delivery of a Victor 86 B multimeter and will report back on it's suitability for use with this program after testing.

Version information - Version 0.55 dated - 17/2/2010

1. Added a general notes tab to automatically load and save any notes the user wishes. This is for general notes, the roast log should be used for notes specific to a particular roast.

2. Revised temperature gradient calculation to attempt to smooth results where temperatures are measured to decimal fractions of a degree. Now only updates gradient when temperature changes by 0.5 degrees or more.

3. Loading an existing roast log now resets log dirty flag. This ensures that the user is not asked to save the log on exit unless the user has changed the log subsequent to loading.

4. Minor changes to multimeter decoding algorithm.

5. Modified various titles including the status message titles.

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks kindly, GB! I'll be looking forward to giving it a go when I roast the next roast of my most recent (and gorgeous) batch of Yirgacheffe greens. The general notes tab is most welcome. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 pm

bruceb wrote:Thanks kindly, GB! I'll be looking forward to giving it a go when I roast the next roast of my most recent (and gorgeous) batch of Yirgacheffe greens. The general notes tab is most welcome. :D

Oh I haven't had any Yirgacheffe for about a year now. :cry: Must resist the temptation to buy any at the moment. My stock of greens is way too high and I am desperately trying to consume most of it before buying any more.

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:22 pm

I was rather disappointed with all of the Ethiopian coffees I had this last year until I got this Yirg. It is very nice and works out beautifully in a darker roast for espresso and in a lighter roast for pour over. I also have way too many greens and probably will have to dump some, or keep them for experimental purposes.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

New version reads directly from Victor 86 B or C multimeters

Postby GreenBean » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:33 am

I have recently obtained a Victor 86 B multimeter for testing with this program. Unfortunately I found that it encodes the data very differently to the Victor 86 C multimeter. This means that versions of this program up to 0.55 will only read data directly from the Victor 86 C multimeter and not the 86 B. It can, of course, still read them, or many others, via a webcam if required.

I have modified the logger (version 0.56 dated 23/2/2010) to detect which multimeter is connected and to decode the data accordingly to read from either the 86 B or 86 C.

For further information or to download the latest version see the downloads section of TMC or click here.

Multimeter details and comparison:

These multimeters are good quality and low cost (mine cost about £30 including thermocouple) and use a modern optically isolated USB HID (human interface device) interface that requires no drivers to work in any of the operating systems the logger runs in including 64 bit or 32 bit versions of Windows (XP, Vista or 7), Linux or OS X (64 bit Intel only for OS X).

The Victor 86 B is generally considered the most suitable as it displays temperature readings to one decimal place and can be used with thermocouples with a standard two pin mini plug via an adaptor.  The only disadvantage of this multimeter is that it only displays temperatures in Celsius.

The Victor 86 C can display temperatures in Fahrenheit or Celsius but only to whole degrees.   A standard adaptor is not available to connect this multimeter to standard thermocouples with a two pin plug.  It is necessary to use the included thermocouple or to use one with separate one pin plugs for each wire.

I wish to make it clear that I have no connection whatsoever with the manufacturer or supplier of these multimeters.

The multimeters are available from the asialondon ebay shop:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/asialondon

If they are not displayed in the shop they may be out of stock.  In this case, or for any general enquiry they can be contacted by email asialondon@hotmail.co.uk.  

Version information - Version 0.56 dated - 23/2/2010

1. Added the facility to read from a Victor 86 B multimeter in addition to the Victor 86 C multimeter.  The Victor 86 B has the advantage of reading temperatures to one decimal place but only displays in Celsius.  The 86 C displays in Celsius or Fahrenheit but only to whole degrees.
2. Help file updated to incorporate all changes since version 0.5

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 pm

A minor update of the roast logger is available. See the version information below for an overview of the changes.

For further information or to download the latest version see the downloads section of TMC or click here.

Version 0.58 - 5/3/2010

1. Added checkbox to allow users to stop the log scrolling to the latest reading.  This is to facilitate writing notes to the log whilst logging is in progress

2. All HID readers updated to version 1.1.  They now read data from up to two Victor 86 multimeters simultaneously (previously only one could be read).  Please note that the roast logger has not been updated to take advantage of this yet if 2 dmm's are connected it will only read from the first ignoring the second.

3. Increased timeout in Linux HID readers as the Linux HID manager can be a little slow occasionally.

4. Changed default threshold value for LED's from 235 to 225

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 am

A major update to the Roast logger is now available. An overview of the changes follows, for further information or to download click here.

The logger can now read, log and chart data from two multimeters simultaneously (typically bean temperature and environment temperature). Previously only one multimeter could be read at one time. The logger can still read from up to two webcams as previously.

I have been asked by a few people if it is possible to interface other hardware to the logger. I took the opportunity, whilst coding the above, to provide a standard interface to connect the RoastLogger to a users custom hardware via a user supplied application. This will make it much easier for anyone who wishes to interface the logger to Arduino boards or other hardware.

This completes all the changes on my wish list so, hopefully, this will be the last version issued for some time.

Version 0.60 6/3/2010

Added facility to read from up to two multimeters simultaneously. This means that the logger can now read either or both of it's temperature inputs from a multimeter or webcam.

Provided a standard interface to read either or both temperature inputs from a user supplied application/hardware.

Added facility to swap the device connected to each temperature input in the case of two simultaneous temperature inputs.

Added the full path to the last opened roast template to the properties file to allow a user supplied application to access this information.

Modified tab layout to accommodate the above.

Help file updated accordingly

Distribution notes updated accordingly.

Added notes to the distribution to assist in connecting a user supplied application/hardware to RoastLogger.

GreenBean

Postby Scoobs » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the awesome work Tom, am using it with a Victor 86C that I purchased and a roaster that one of my engineer friends built. I am going to be trying the dual temperature logging so that I can record air and bean temperature.

Thanks again for all the hard work

JohnB
Scoobs

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:46 am

Hi John, It is good to know that you find the roast logger useful. Please let me know if you have any problems or suggestion to improve the logger.

The roaster looks fantastic! :D I am very jealous, you obviously have a very talented friend.

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques