RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Victor 86 compatibility problem with Windows 10 - resolved

Postby GreenBean » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:14 am

This post has been removed as it is no longer relevant and may lead to users making unnecessary changes to their registry settings.

The post related to difficulties Windows 10 users were having achieving a reliable connection to Victor 86 multimeters. Editing registry settings was suggested as a workaround. RoastLogger has now been updated to version 2.3.7 to resolve the connection issues so editing registry settings is no longer necessary. See the following post for details.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

A minor update to RoastLogger is available.

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:29 am

A minor update to RoastLogger to version 2.3.7 5/9/2015 is available. Anyone running RoastLogger on Windows 10 and using Victor 86 multimeters for input should update to this version. These users were experiencing difficulty establishing a reliable connection to the Victor 86 multimeters due to Microsoft changing the way it handles these USB HID devices in Windows 10 compared to all previous versions of Windows.

For further information or to download please see the following version information and the RoastLogger website.

A reminder that you can update to this version, or any future version, of RoastLogger automatically. Just select menu Help > Update RoastLogger.

Version 2.3.7 5/9/2015

This update fixes one issue which only affects Windows 10 users who are using Victor 86 multimeters for input. These users were experiencing difficulty establishing a reliable connection to the Victor 86. Microsoft has changed the way it handles these USB HID devices in Windows 10 compared to all previous versions of Windows.

There is no need to update from version 2.3.6 to this version if you are not running RoastLogger on Windows 10 and using Victor 86 multimeters for input.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RoastLoggerTC4 sketch updated to version 3.3

Postby GreenBean » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:06 pm

An update to the RoastLoggerTC4 sketch to version 3.3 is available to download. Previous versions of the sketch, up to and including version 3.1, were intended to provide control of a heater and DC fan via a TC4/C and RoastLogger. This update adds additional options including the option to control an AC fan/blower driven by an induction motor. The default options in user.h result in the sketch behaving with the same functionality as previous versions. To obtain the new functionality you should select the relevant options in user.h before compiling/uploading the sketch.

Additional functionality provided:

1. Support for AC fans/blowers using induction motors in addition to DC fans. The AC fan support provides phase angle control for the fan via OT2 and a random fire SSR. Use of this option requires a zero cross detector (true on logic low) connected via IO3. See http://www.mlgp-llc.com/arduino/public/ ... 111120.jpg for suggested wiring diagram.

This option also provides integral cycle control PWM for the heater via OT1 and a zero cross SSR. When this option is selected the heater is, by default, controlled using Bresenham’s algorithm which switches individual mains cycles on or off to provide the required power to the heater. This is good for electric heaters controlled via a SSR but may be switching too fast for some unusual cases such as some gas solenoid valves. A further option for a slow switching alternate PWM is also provided. This is on for the current heater setting number of mains zero cross pulses and then off for the remainder of 100 pulses. This will result in one cycle of the valve per second.

2. Support for heater and fan control via 10 K linear potentiometers. If this is selected either or both of RoastLogger and the 10 K pots can be used to control the heater and fan. The last change in setting by either is implemented. If a separate power supply is connected to the Arduino/TC4 then the pots. can be used stand alone without a computer connected.

3. Made limiting the rate of increase in fan setting optional. The default enables limiting the rate of increase of fan setting to avoid overload and shutdown of Hottop roasters. Hottop users should ensure this is enabled.

4. Support to assist in protecting air roaster heating elements. This allows users to set a minimum fan setting below which the heater will be forced off.

5. Added eject command placeholders to act on an eject command from RoastLogger and to send an eject command to RoastLogger. When the eject beans button is pressed in RoastLogger it sends an eject command to the sketch. The sketch can also send an eject command to RoastLogger. If a roast is currently underway RoastLogger will respond by clicking its eject beans button to stop logging and charting.

6. Modified the sketch and relevant libraries to allow it to compile under the latest version ( 1.6.6 ) of the Arduino IDE. It is recommended that the sketch is compiled under version 1.6.6 as earlier versions of the Arduino IDE contain a bug in the Arduino Wire library that can cause the Arduino to lock up if a glitch occurs on the I2C bus. The latest version of the required libraries is included with the sketch. Please ensure that these latest copies are added to your libraries folder to avoid errors on compiling/verifying the sketch.

GreenBean

Re: RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Postby bruceb » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:39 am

Fan - tastic work, GB. It is becoming more-and-more difficult to withstand the temptation to jump through the hoops to let RoastLogger control my roaster. First, however, I have to stop enjoying Lukas' coffee and repair the Maggiolino so I can begin roasting again. :-) Thanks for the AC fan option!
Hope you're doing well there and Merry Christmas in advance.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi Bruce, and a very merry Christmas to you too :D I do not believe that you could stop enjoying Lukas' coffee, I just wish that postage charges were not so high so that I could enjoy it too :(

The credit for the fantastic work should go to JimG who did all the hard work a few years ago by implementing this functionality in his aCatuaiQ program. All I have done is implement his libraries and code into the RoastLoggerTC4 sketch to make the functionality available to RoastLogger users. I think (hope) that I have done that correctly but I do not have all the hardware required to test every aspect so time will tell how good a job I have or have not done. In the meantime I have left a link on the RoastLogger downloads page to download the previous version 3.1 of the sketch in case anyone has a problem with the new version.

GreenBean

Postby Serzh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello to all coffee lovers!

I'd like to thank to GreenBean for an amazing job he does. We used the RoastLogger with OCR first and it worked just fine even with my smartphone
and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=cs.
Today we got Victor 86B and it works great as well. This one is with direct mini USB connector. So I can confirm that it works without any problem.
Enclosed driver is in native Chinese I guess, but installation was a piece of cake.

Once again thanks to GreenBean nad his team. :-)

Daniel

Serzh

Postby GreenBean » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 am

Hi Daniel, I apologise for the delay in replying. Thank you for taking the time to post about your experience with RoastLogger. I am pleased that you find RoastLogger useful :D As you have pointed out, the Victor 86 multimeters are very easy to use with RoastLogger. You do not need to install any driver with these multimeters as RoastLogger communicates directly with them via USB HID.

GreenBean

Minor updates to RoastLogger

Postby GreenBean » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:10 pm

There have been two minor updates to RoastLogger recently one to assist those using RoastLogger to control air roasters and one to fix a minor bug. For further information or to download please see the following version information and the RoastLogger website.

Version 2.3.9 19/2/2016

This is a minor update to fix one minor bug which could cause distortion of the heater curve on the chart when a previous log is loaded. The issue only occurred in previous version when all the following specific circumstances applied:

- Only one temperature input is used (i.e. the T2 temperature in the log is blank). If T1 and T2 are both used no problem occurs.
    - RoastLogger is used to control the heater and fan rather than just log and chart roasts.
    - The menu option to show the heater and fan curves in the chart is selected.

The fix resolves the issue for previously created and future logs.
Version 2.3.8 25/1/2016

This is a minor update to assist those controlling air roasters via the RoastLogger PID and the action tables. Previous versions of RoastLogger have suspended reading the action tables for 60 seconds after drop in. This allows actions to be set at temperatures below the drop in temperature which is desirable for control of drum roasters. This update provides a new Controller menu item to allow the user to choose the 60 second delay or no delay which is more suitable for air roasters.

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Great to see you here GB! Thanks again for your endless efforts to improve an already excellent piece of software.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

New toy!

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:09 pm

A new toy arrived at GreenBean Towers recently:

Dalian1.jpg
Dalian1.jpg (73.99 KiB) Viewed 24088 times

This is an Amazon Dalian 1kg roaster. I have had my eye on this for some time and when Bella Barista decided to import them I could not resist and was the first to place an order for one early in January. Bella Barista have done a great job and the roaster finally arrived last week.

The first order of business was, of course, to convert it to full computer control of the heater and blower using RoastLogger:

controller.jpg
controller.jpg (100.81 KiB) Viewed 24088 times

I have just completed the first computer controlled roast:

Dalian test 1 800.png
Dalian test 1 800.png (223.66 KiB) Viewed 24088 times

I am delighted with the result although it will be some days until it will be ready for drinking. The BT readings are provided by a custom thermocouple I have installed and I have used the stock supplied thermocouple to provide the “ET” readings. It can be seen that this is not an ideal indication of ET as it indicates lower than BT towards the end of the roast which is not correct (BT is not falling, RoR is not negative). This is not a real concern as all control is based on BT. I may experiment with other locations for the ET thermocouple in future.

For anyone who is interested I have added many more photos including layout of the controller on Photobucket:

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Wow! That's a nice roaster. I have seen it on Alibaba a number of times, but had no idea there was an European source. Looking forward to lots of reports on the results. Dalian Amazon has a number of good looking roasters.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:53 am

It certainly is a beauty and is a delight to use. I was looking for a well designed and built roaster with simple operation and controls as I intended to add my own control of the heater and blower using RoastLogger. So far I am delighted with this roaster :D it is exceeding my expectations and is very easy to work on.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:41 pm

The issue with ET thermocouple is now resolved and I am getting what I consider to be good accurate BT and ET information:

Dalian test 2.png
Dalian test 2.png (106.56 KiB) Viewed 23995 times

The coffee from the first test roast was a little disappointing, it looked and smelled good but there was a hint of a metallic taste which grew stronger in the aftertaste. I took that as an indication that I had not done a thorough enough job of seasoning the roaster :oops: I decided to perform a few more seasoning roasts taking the beans really dark and oily. This has done the trick and I am now getting wonderful roasts. I am very, very happy with this roaster :D

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:46 pm

Interesting to hear about the seasoning. I've never owned a new roaster so I have never had that problem, I guess. Anyway, it's great that you got things sorted and are happy with the roasts. :D
bruceb

RoastLogger website has moved

Postby GreenBean » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:59 am

The RoastLogger website has always been hosted on ntlworld.com which is owned by Virgin Media. Virgin Media have recently decided to close all their webspace and did not bother to notify me of this decision. I only found out when the website went down a few days ago.

Due to this I have been forced to move to a different hosting company and to change the URL. The new URL to the main index page is:

http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/roastlogger/roastlogger.htm

I would be grateful if you would change any bookmarks you have to the new URL. It would also be very helpful if you could update any links you may have posted on any website or forum. The structure under http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/ has not been changed so it is “only” necessary to change the first part of any links from:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/green_bean/coffee/

to:

http://roastlogger.co.uk/coffee/

Apart from all the broken links associated with this other consequences of note are:

The automatic updater in RoastLogger will not work until I issue a new version linked to the new site. When a new version is issued it will have to be downloaded manually the first time and will then work automatically in future.

Web search engine rankings will be lost as I have had no notice so had no chance at any redirection.
I apologise for the inconvenience this causes which is entirely the result of Virgin Media deciding to abandon all their webspace customers. In my case I have been with them for 16 years and had no prior notice of this change. To say that I am unhappy with Virgin Media would be a bit of an understatement.

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques