RoastLogger with USB & webcam input

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Victor 86B and 86C multimeters

Postby GreenBean » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:01 am

A new version of the Victor 86B multimeters has been introduced over the last several months. It is now confirmed, by a number of users, that both the original and new version use the same USB HID communication and both are compatible with RoastLogger.

See my previous post in this thread, dated 15 November 2014, for details of the visual changes. In this post I stated that the new version was not compatible with RoastLogger. This was based on the advice of one user. It now seems probable that he had been provided with a faulty multimeter. The original post has now been amended/corrected.

I have no information related to any changes to the Victor 86C but it is probable that it has also been changed in the same way and should still be compatible with RoastLogger.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby frcn » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:38 pm

GreenBean wrote: Reading the Hottop display is actually more difficult than other displays because of the horrible light blue backlight to the display.

The "P" model has the difficult-to-read (for a camera) display. RosatLogger webcam input works a charm on the "B" models. Should do as wll for anyone still using the "D" model.
- from Randy G. -
Hottop USA Customer Service
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:48 am

frcn wrote:
GreenBean wrote: Reading the Hottop display is actually more difficult than other displays because of the horrible light blue backlight to the display.

The "P" model has the difficult-to-read (for a camera) display. RosatLogger webcam input works a charm on the "B" models. Should do as wll for anyone still using the "D" model.

I agree with you, Randy. The post you have quoted is dated Aug 27th 2009 and was discussing the first tests of the first version of RoastLogger. The comment on the Hottop display was related to the Hottop P model only as this was the only Hottop I had available for tests at that time.

Soon after this comment was posted I wrote an entirely new OCR engine which worked much better with both the Hottop P and B roasters.

It is still true, as you have suggested, that the Hottop B model display is easier to set up for reliable OCR readings than the P display but it is perfectly possible to read either reliably once it is set up correctly. I roasted almost exclusively on my Hottop P for about a year using the OCR facilities without problems.

Setting up for OCR will always be more involved and finicky than using thermocouples and can only provide information on the stock thermocouple or RTD rather than a true BT and or ET reading. It does, however, provide a useful alternative to manually logging readings for users who are not able or do not wish to install thermocouples.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

A minor update to RoastLogger is available.

Postby GreenBean » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:32 am

A minor update to the RoastLogger to version 2.3.1 9/1/2015 is available. This update fixes one very minor issue with the colour of the RoR template curve.

For further information or to download please see the RoastLogger website.

Version 2.3.1 9/1/2015

Fixed one very minor issue with the colour of the RoR template curve which was inadvertently set to the current roast RoR colour in the previous version.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:21 pm

A very minor update of RoastLogger to version 2.3.2 is available. There is no need for any user of version 2.3.1 to update to this version as this version has the same functionality as version 2.3.1.

The changes in this version are aimed only at users downloading RoastLogger via the link on the RoastLogger downloads webpage using Google Chrome on Windows OS. These users were occasionally getting download warnings from Chrome. I have tried a number of things in the past to avoid these warnings but they still pop up occasionally without any change whatsoever to the download files. It is hoped that this version will resolve the problems. My testing so far looks good but only time will tell.

If you have any problems downloading or running RoastLogger version 2.3.2 (or later versions) please email me with a brief description of the problem and the operating system you are using. My email address is provided in the feedback section of the RoastLogger website.

Version 2.3.2 1/2/2015

There is no need for anyone to update to this version of RoastLogger. This version has the same functionality as version 2.3.1. The changes in this version are an attempt to avoid the download warnings that Google Chrome on Windows occasionally issues. If anyone has any problems downloading or running this version please email me with a brief description of the problem and the operating system you are using.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:11 am

Another minor update to RoastLogger to version 2.3.3 is available. This update allows the popular Victor 86B multimeter to be used by those who prefer to work in Fahrenheit. The Victor 86B is the only input device to RoastLogger that can not be switched to output in C or F. This update provides the functionality to detect input from any connected Victor 86B multimeters and automatically convert it to Fahrenheit when the chart axis is set to Fahrenheit. The meter itself will, of course, still display readings in C but all the displays, logs and graphs in RoastLogger will display the output in F. The automatic updater included in RoastLogger has also been updated to version 1.1.

The Victor 86B is a good choice for users who only want to input one temperature to RoastLogger (for two inputs or for control I would recommend a TC4/C). It is low cost (can be found for less than $40), good quality, outputs temperatures to tenths of a degree which provides good RoR data, communicates via USB HID so does not require any drivers in any operating system and provides smooth output when used with a 3mm diameter stainless steel sheathed themocouple. It also provides a useful general purpose multimeter.

Version 2.3.3 12/2/2015

Added temperature conversion of Victor 86B output from Celsius to Fahrenheit. When the chart axis is set to Fahrenheit any connected Victor 86B output is automatically converted to Fahrenheit. The Victor 86B is the only input device to RoastLogger that can not be switched to output in C or F. This update allows it to be used by those who prefer to work in Fahrenheit. The meter itself will, of course, still display readings in C but all the displays, logs and graphs in RoastLogger will display the output in F.

The Victor 86B is a good choice for users who only want to input one temperature to RoastLogger (for two inputs I would recommend a TC4/C). It is low cost (can be found for less than $40), good quality, outputs temperatures to tenths of a degree which provides good RoR data, communicates via USB HID so does not require any drivers in any operating system and provides smooth output. It also provides a useful general purpose multimeter.

The automatic updater included in RoastLogger has been updated to version 1.1.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Another minor update to RoastLogger to version 2.3.4 19/3/2015 is available. This update adds the functionality to adjust the RoR axis maximum and minimum values, improves the saving of chart images and adds the Scott Rao ratio to the roast log and the chart event table when a roast is completed. The Rao ratio is also displayed in the chart event table whenever a previous roast log is loaded as a template or the current roast.

Version 2.3.4 19/3/2015

Added the functionality to adjust the RoR axis maximum and minimum values via the menu option “Set chart axes”. Selecting either Celsius or Fahrenheit sets the relevant default values for the temperature and RoR axes. The user can adjust these further via spinners. Any changes take effect when the “set chart axes” dialog is closed.

Added the Scott Rao ratio to the chart event table and the roast log. On completion of a roast the Rao ratio is added to the beginning of the log, after any chart title and added to the chart event table. On loading any log as a template or current roast the Rao ratio is displayed in the chart event table. In these cases it is calculated from the data in the log so it will display the ratio for any previous log including logs produced before the Rao ratio was calculated by RoastLogger.

Updated the code related to saving chart images. The user is now warned if they attempt to overwrite an existing file so that an alternate filename can be chosen. The save dialog also suggest a filename representing the current date in YYYY-MM-DD format. This is selected when the save dialog opens so if you do not want the date as part of your filename just start typing to overwrite it.

GreenBean

Problems with recent versions of Java on OS X Yosemite

Postby GreenBean » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:46 pm

Recent updates to Oracle Java are causing problems on OS X Yosemite. These problems include Java not giving proper keyboard focus to Java applications so that keyboard interactions (i.e. text entry) are not possible. Multiple bug reports have been raised with Oracle. Note that this only affects OSX Yosemite.

RoastLogger users running on OS X Yosemite may experience these keyboard focus/text entry problems with some recent versions of Oracle Java. Anyone experiencing these problems should download and install the latest version of Oracle Java which should fix the problems.

Further details on this issue are included in this Home Barista thread , posts from 7:24 pm, Mar 21, 2015.

GreenBean

Problems with recent versions of Java on OS X Yosemite

Postby GreenBean » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 am

According to Oracle this issue was fixed in build 1.8.0_40-b27 (Java 8 update 40 build 27). If you are experiencing this problem and wish to check the build installed on your computer open System Preferences, click the Java icon which will open the Java Control Panel then click the About button.

The problem was introduced with update 40 so should not be a problem for anyone with the previous release of 1.8.0_31 (Java 8 update 31).

If you are experiencing this problem update to the latest build as described in the previous post dated 26/3/2015. This will be build 27 or later which will fix the problem.

GreenBean

Postby GreenBean » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:39 am

Another minor update to RoastLogger to version 2.3.5 1/4/2015 is available. This update adds the functionality to apply powerful additional smoothing to the temperature and RoR curves displayed in the chart.

RoastLogger already includes a number of strategies to ignore sudden peaks in readings and to provide some mild filtering and smoothing on input data. With a reasonably good thermocouple installation this is all that is required to produce smooth curves. This update is to help those users who have a less than adequate installation producing noisy temperature inputs.

An example of the effects of the additional smoothing is shown in the following chart. The chart is reduced in size to suit TMC requirements but hopefully you can still see the template curves (in pastel colours) showing the raw data and the current roast curves showing the smoothed data. The raw data (roast log) used for this chart was sent to me by a user with serious problems with his thermocouple installation. He has since resolved the problems with his installation but the data has been used to test the new smoothing functionality.

Version 2.3.5 1/4/2015

Added powerful additional smoothing to temperature and RoR curves displayed in the chart. This additional smoothing can be turned on or off separately for template curves and current roast curves.

RoastLogger already includes a number of strategies to ignore sudden peaks in readings and to provide some mild filtering and smoothing on input data. With a reasonably good thermocouple installation this is all that is required to produce smooth curves. This update is to help those users who have a less than adequate installation producing noisy temperature inputs.

The methods applied to achieve this additional post roast smoothing are not suitable for use during a roast but are applied to completed roasts or on loading a previous roast log as the template or as the current roast.

This additional smoothing is applied to the curves shown in the chart only. To preserve accuracy the raw (unsmoothed) data is shown in the event table, the event markers and the roast log.

A new smoothing menu allows the user to select various options regarding the degree of smoothing and how and when it is applied. Tooltips are provided to describe each option.

The option to separately smooth template and current roast curves allows you to load the same log as both the template and current roast with the current roast curves smoothed and the template curves showing the raw data. This allows you to see the effect of the smoothing to judge what smoothing settings are best for your setup.

You can switch template curves between raw and smoothed data at any time including during a roast.

You can switch the current roast curves between raw and smoothed at any time except during a roast when this option is disabled and the raw data is displayed. At the end of a roast, after pressing eject, the roast curves will be smoothed if the relevant menu option is selected.

GreenBean

RE: A minor update to RoastLogger is available.

Postby frcn » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:05 pm

For the last few weeks I was hoping for something like the smoothing function now included. It would be nice (here he goes again) if it could be appplied only to the ROR and not the temperature. Looking at an old roast log on screen it seems it doesn't matter too much in regards to the T1 and T2, but it would be nice...
- from Randy G. -
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby GreenBean » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:40 am

Hi Randy, I did a lot of testing before deciding on the smoothing algorithm and the associated user controls. I wish to keep the user interface as simple as possible and I believe that the current controls provide the best compromise between functionality and simplicity.

Applying smoothing to an already smooth curve does not cause a problem so I do not think there is any real benefit in adding further options to smooth only BT, ET or RoR. I have loaded hundreds of my roast logs to test this and am entirely happy with the current arrangement. I am delighted that the smoothing provided so closely matches what my eye tells me is the best line through the noisy data.

I suggest we see how users get along with the current controls for some months. If you or others can demonstrate a real benefit in providing extra controls then I will think again :wink:

GreenBean

Postby frcn » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I roasted the first batch using v2.3.5 and agree that smooting the T1 andT2 is fine. The smooth ROR is quite helpful... THANKS!
- from Randy G. -
...and so much more!
frcn

Postby GreenBean » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:13 pm

A further minor update to RoastLogger to version 2.3.6 17/5/2015 is available. This update enhances the colour of the bean and environment temperature curves, adjusts the height of the current roast event markers, provides a new menu option to increase this height even further and fixes one minor bug which affected the displaying of the roast event markers after turning them of and on again via the menu.

For further information or to download please see the following version information and the RoastLogger website.

A reminder that you can update to this version, or any future version, of RoastLogger automatically. Just select menu Help > Update RoastLogger.

Version 2.3.6 17/5/2015

1. Adjusted the colour of the bean and environment temperature curves making them slightly darker. This is to allow them to stand out better against the background.

2. Increased the height of the current roast event markers slightly and added a new menu option “Increase height of roast event markers” to increase the height even further. This is to help keep the event markers away from the ET curve especially on higher resolution displays.

3. Fixed a minor bug in menu item option “Show event markers in chart”. Previously this would prevent the redrawing of the markers on turning this item off and then on again if no template curve was loaded.

GreenBean

RoastLogger on Windows 10

Postby GreenBean » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:25 pm

It is now confirmed that RoastLogger works well on Windows 10. RoastLogger uses the look and feel of the operating system it is running on. It has always looked better on OS X and recent versions of Ubuntu than on the various Windows versions from XP to 8. I think that Windows 10 is a significant improvement:

win10-chart.png
win10-chart.png (157.81 KiB) Viewed 27936 times

win10-ctrl.png
win10-ctrl.png (19.35 KiB) Viewed 27936 times

[Edit - 7/9/2015] Removed comment regarding compatibility problem with Victor 86 multimeters and Windows 10 as this is now resolved in version 2.3.7 of RoastLogger. See following posts for details.

GreenBean

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques