Finally, the first roast with the Maggiolino

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:02 pm

That looks super, GB! I'd take one of those in a minute if I could get it without having to drill a big hole through a stainless pot, find the proper size pipe and fittings, etc. Is there a a link about making it?
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:05 pm

bruceb wrote:That looks super, GB! I'd take one of those in a minute if I could get it without having to drill a big hole through a stainless pot, find the proper size pipe and fittings, etc. Is there a a link about making it?

Yes Cakey started a thread on home-made roast cooling solutions in 2007 here.

And decided to make a similar cooler to mine. You could follow the instructions there as Cakey did. If I was you, however, I would simply email your postal address to me, make yourself a coffee and sit down and await your new cooler :wink: . Apologies to Cakey who had to make his own as I had not realised then that I no longer need my cooler. :cry:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Hmmmmm, smells like roses to me! GB you are a gentleman. I'll find some way to repay you...like suggesting some more changes to make in the logger! :twisted:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:39 pm

bruceb wrote:Hmmmmm, smells like roses to me! GB you are a gentleman. I'll find some way to repay you...like suggesting some more changes to make in the logger! :twisted:

More changes.... yes please .. the more the merrier for me. :lol: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:38 pm

GreenBean wrote:
CakeBoy wrote::lol: In principle it's a lot like the steamer and vac set-up that GreenBean, Motoman and others talked us through setting up a while back - except ours is a far me Heath Robinson affair that looks like something out of Wallace and Gromit, with bits of piping, right angles and the like. Works brilliantly for us, though I have a strange craving for cheese these days :D

Well Cakey! How can you possibly say that something like this which is stainless steel and can be thrown in a dishwasher and cost £16 (well mine anyway)

is Heath Robinson compared to this

Bombcup wrote: Javacool CRC Coffee Bean Cooler*.
*May actually be a bucket with a collander glued in and a vacuum cleaner shoved up it.

Shame on you. :wink:

Oh, and Bruce the nice stainless steel one above does not require any stirring at all just tip the beans in and they are cold in less than 2 minutes with most of the chaff removed. 8)

I stand suitably ashamed of my slur on the coolers (but, I still seem to need cheese), though yours is significantly superior to our own. Actually, we do stir and I wonder if your central stainless steel tube does a better job than out stright 'hose in the side' contraption?

Oh and the hole alone in ours cost £30! No, really it did :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:50 am

CakeBoy wrote:I stand suitably ashamed of my slur on the coolers (but, I still seem to need cheese), though yours is significantly superior to our own. Actually, we do stir and I wonder if your central stainless steel tube does a better job than out stright 'hose in the side' contraption?

I knocked my cooler up as a prototype in about 20 minutes to see if the arrangement worked. It worked so well I did not bother with any further changes.

The central "distribution" tube was an attempt to even the flow of air throughout the chamber and also provide a point to connect the vacuum cleaner. It may help a little with the air flow but, with a reasonably uniform bed of beans above it, the pressure drop over the bed of beans will ensure a reasonable distribution of air flow.

I found that stirring only really made a difference to the amount of chaff removed not the cooling.

GreenBean

Postby bruceb » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 am

Well, it came today and I must say Mr. GreenBean (I first wrote Mr. Bean, but quickly changed it) does some fine work, and not just programming. The cooler is top grade, really professionally made. Karin couldn't believe it was home made, was sure it must have been bought that way, but I told her that nowadays you can't buy anything as well made as that.

A big thank you to GB for his generosity. First roast with turbo cooling on the weekend. I'll report then.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:19 pm

bruceb wrote:Well, it came today and I must say Mr. GreenBean (I first wrote Mr. Bean, but quickly changed it) does some fine work, and not just programming. The cooler is top grade, really professionally made. Karin couldn't believe it was home made, was sure it must have been bought that way, but I told her that nowadays you can't buy anything as well made as that.

A big thank you to GB for his generosity. First roast with turbo cooling on the weekend. I'll report then.

Oh dear, I do hope that nickname does not stick. Any resemblance to Mr. Bean is purely coincidental. Rumours that I can be seen driving around in an old Mini are greatly exaggerated. :?

Glad you like it Bruce. I hope you find it works as well as it looks. In case you are wondering all parts of the cooler are fine in a dishwasher, it has already been through one over a hundred times.

Oh and I do not consider it generosity Bruce. After all the help and advice you have given me since I joined TMC and all the help you provide to many others I am delighted to have this oportunity to say thank you. :wink: :D

GreenBean

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques