Finally, the first roast with the Maggiolino

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Finally, the first roast with the Maggiolino

Postby bruceb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:27 pm

After a fun couple of days in Amsterdam with my wife Karin and our 15 year-old grandson Lars we headed down to the south eastern corner of the Netherlands and were greeted cordially by Patrick (Zapty) and his wife Karin. We had lovely cappuccinos, visited for a few moments and then packed the Maggiolino (1-pound, electrically heated commercial sample roaster) into the car, along with a bunch of wonderful greens from Patrick and said farewells. We couldn't stay any longer as it was already nearly 7 pm and we still had a 3 hour drive ahead of us.

Lars and I set up the roaster this morning, "remanufactured" the corrugated exhaust duct to fit out the window in my new roasting room and turned on the machine. After it was up to temperature I dumped in 350g of an older Guatemala tres Marias that I had around and that I had trouble roasting in the HotTop. About 13 minutes later first crack became clearly audible, stopping after about 1 minute. A minute or so later second crack began, timid at first and then into rolling approximately 16 minutes after putting the beans in. We ejected them and let them cool for about 10 minutes in the cooling tray. They were just as I had envisioned, a rather dark, chocolaty brown and roughly "Full city." (They are much lighter in the picture than they are to the naked eye) After only two hours they smelled so fantastic I was tempted to cup them. I didn't, but we both wanted a coffee so bad that we had a couple of doubles of a Sidamo I roasted in the Hottop on Tuesday.

The Maggiolino is a very sturdy machine, well designed and easy to use. Patrick had installed the digital controller and it makes control a simple matter. So far I am delighted with my new roaster. I am also most indebted to Patrick for his patience and helpfulness. :D
Attachments
Maggio_01.jpg
Maggiolino 500g Sample Roaster
Maggio_01.jpg (13.14 KiB) Viewed 11414 times
Maggio_1st_roast.jpg
Guatemala tres Marias
Maggio_1st_roast.jpg (18.2 KiB) Viewed 11414 times
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

RE: Finally, the first roast with the Maggiolino

Postby motoman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:32 am

Thanks for that Bruce, most of us who dream of owning such a beast can share your pleasure of working with pro kit.

Thankfully Joe Behm came along with his roaster just in time to save me spending my sons inheritance (and selling his kidney) on such a machine.

Enjoy it and ignore my muttered curses.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

RE: Finally, the first roast with the Maggiolino

Postby espressomattic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:16 am

I have seen these for retail in Hamilton. Sadly my wife too is attached to her kidney's as are the children. I have had to settle for a *Hopefully* new machine....

Anyway, nice one Bruce, certainly envious in a good way as I know how good these beasts are! :D
espressomattic

Postby GreenBean » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:49 am

Wow! Congratulations Bruce, it looks wonderful. :shock: :shock:

I am sure you will have endless hours of fun learning to get the best from it.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:24 am

Excellent Bruce. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with your new set-up. Oh, and to those somewhat reluctant to sell their wives'/significant others' kidneys, I would recommend you simply sell them complete instead! :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Glad you like it so far buddy, next time stay a little longer and do a BBQ with us.....
Was nice seeing you and your lovely wife and your rather shy grandson who started warming up a little by the time you left......
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby bruceb » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Thanks Patrick, nice to hear from you. It was wonderful to see you and Karin again and I certainly wish we could have stayed a bit longer. My grandson is rather shy, to be certain, but he enjoyed meeting you and seeing your beautiful home. Thank you for your warm hospitality.

I've done 9 roasts of 400g each on the Maggio so far. I only messed up once and thought I had charbucked the beans, but in fact, they were still very good. I'm thinking about replacing the digital thermostat with a PID controller, but so far it's no more than thinking about it. More importantly, I need to find a better exhaust system than hanging the pipe out the open window. I'll have to do something about it before winter or I'll freeze in the process.
:roll:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby zapty » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 pm

Hey Dr. B, how's the roasting on this little baby coming along?
Have you done any old school, Old George style roasting (char the heck out of it till you can't see the roaster for the smoke) on the Maggio? Have you installed the exhaust chimney properly? Hope you are still happy with it!
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:45 pm

Hi Patrick! Nice to see you around here. Of course I'm happy with the roaster! I have gotten a few roasts darker than I had planned on, mostly because of the somewhat sparse cooling, but I've learned to quit a bit earlier and stir the beans with a spoon as soon as I eject them. I've done a few dozen roasts in the meantime and all of them have produced good coffee.

The big news is here, however. It turns out our pal GreenBean is a wizard at teaching webcams to read digital displays, even weirdo bright red LED ones, and using a self-constructed OCR engine to convert the data into a logfile and a chart. You can probably use it on your gas-powered roaster too. We're (well, I'm just doing my best to break the thing, but GB is making it really robust) still ironing out the final problems, but as of today we've got a real winner! Take a look at that thread above. :D
bruceb

Postby zapty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:44 am

Hello dear Dr. B, glad to hear that the Maggio is still within your capabilities to operate....... otherwise I would have recommended the help of our dear Old George who, back in the days of Old Schools, used to be a coal shoveler in steam trains.....
Anyways, always knew that the old Maggio would endear you eventually, she's a bit of a pain to get to know, at first, might be due to her shyness.
I still have this little homebuilt beancooler sitting around, don't know why I forgot to give it to you back a few weeks ago, pick it up next time you are down, cools the beans fast and easy.
I have had many conversations with the boys (Ram and Gad) at Coffee-tech engineering about the need for a better cooler but alas, it made no impact, they are a stubborn bunch....

http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... ean+cooler
zapty

Postby Bombcup » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:59 pm

Bruce I've found the answer to your cooling problems. Allow me to introduce you to the Javacool CRC Coffee Bean Cooler*.

*May actually be a bucket with a collander glued in and a vacuum cleaner shoved up it.
Bombcup

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:02 am

:lol: In principle it's a lot like the steamer and vac set-up that GreenBean, Motoman and others talked us through setting up a while back - except ours is a far me Heath Robinson affair that looks like something out of Wallace and Gromit, with bits of piping, right angles and the like. Works brilliantly for us, though I have a strange craving for cheese these days :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:46 am

CakeBoy wrote:Works brilliantly for us, though I have a strange craving for cheese these days :D

Good heavens, don't forget the crackers! :shock:
bruceb

Postby bruceb » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:51 am

Bombcup wrote:Bruce I've found the answer to your cooling problems. Allow me to introduce you to the Javacool CRC Coffee Bean Cooler*.

*May actually be a bucket with a collander glued in and a vacuum cleaner shoved up it.

I thought about this before, but you still have to manually stir the beans with this bucket and if I do that with the Maggio it cools perfectly adequately.

In retrospect, using a number of other roasters has made me appreciate the HotTop all the more. The Maggio suits my needs better because of the size, but the HT is really designed and built well. There are a lot of things about it that I miss, cooling being one of them.
bruceb

Postby GreenBean » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:01 am

CakeBoy wrote::lol: In principle it's a lot like the steamer and vac set-up that GreenBean, Motoman and others talked us through setting up a while back - except ours is a far me Heath Robinson affair that looks like something out of Wallace and Gromit, with bits of piping, right angles and the like. Works brilliantly for us, though I have a strange craving for cheese these days :D

Well Cakey! How can you possibly say that something like this which is stainless steel and can be thrown in a dishwasher and cost £16 (well mine anyway)

is Heath Robinson compared to this

Bombcup wrote: Javacool CRC Coffee Bean Cooler*.

Shame on you. :wink:

Oh, and Bruce the nice stainless steel one above does not require any stirring at all just tip the beans in and they are cold in less than 2 minutes with most of the chaff removed. 8)

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques