At last, achievement.

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

At last, achievement.

Postby Richard » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:19 am

Hi again everyone, I've purposely been avoiding you guys whilst searching for a base-line for myself. I had a tremendous amount of help from this site but unfortunately started running before I could walk.

At a time the recommendations were to buy a decent grinder first I lusted over an espresso machine, there's something about an espresso machine that pandered to my ego but it wasn't a good idea for me.

Next mistake was buying lot's of different beans yet roasting them myself and never realising the different flavours available from a single bean-type achievable by changes in the roasting process.

I stopped buying different beans opting for Steve's ' Brazilian Perfetio blend' then roasted taking the roast to my usual, 'just going shiny' and just did that for a whole 6 kilos because I liked it.

Since then I've taken the roast a little further and even stopped some roasts within 30 seconds of first-crack. A whole range a flavours within a single bean I would have never known about if I'd kept just buying different beans.

The latest is blending two roast levels, at the risk of exaggerating I have achieved 4 different flavours from the same bean.

Thanks for helping me to find a new owner for the Silvia, I just needed to get-back to basics, I continue to roast with a hot-air gun into a large heavy SS collander and no-doubt a roasting machine would be lovely but just like with the Silvia it isn't necessary for good coffee.

Regards to everyone.

French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Re: At last, achievement.

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 am

Richard wrote:The latest is blending two roast levels, at the risk of exaggerating I have achieved 4 different flavours from the same bean.

Thanks for helping me to find a new owner for the Silvia, I just needed to get-back to basics

I made the same mistake, I rushed around trying dozens of different origins and blends, whereas I should have experimented, using various profiles before discarding the bean.

Another fun geeky area, is split layer blending. I believe Bruce tried it a couple of years ago. The theory is thus : depending on individual taste buds, a darker roast requires a cooler brew and a lighter roast requires a hotter brew.

Lets say, in your stash you have a lighter roasted Central and a dark roasted Haraar. You layer 8g of the Haraar into the basket with 8g of the Central on top. The hot brew-water contacts the top of the pack and cools as it gravitates down. I warned you it was geeky. The danger of course is if you allow the coffee to sit in the basket overlong - this is called 'cooking the pack' :cry: you get a bitter taste.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Thanks for sharing that, its not just me then.

Because I was so determined not to buy a roasting machine and that I had decided time/temperature wasn't the whole story I needed to get a feel for things or a more 'apt' description is perhaps to get hard-wired between the kit I have and my senses.

By the time I get through this 6 kilos of Perfetio I can afford to buy another bean type so I already started to read the forum pages.

I must edit that list of stuff on my posts because most of it has gone, I use a press-pot at home and a gold-filter modified Aeropress in my motorhome, the Aeropress makes a better cup than does the press-pot but my partner will only use the press. Now I've simplified everything she makes good coffee and is confident when we have guests.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:17 pm

Richard wrote:I must edit that list of stuff on my posts because most of it has gone, I use a press-pot at home and a gold-filter modified Aeropress in my motorhome

I have never tasted any results from an Aeropress. I always regarded the Press pot as a stop-gap and only used when unexpected visitors arrived and the espresso machine was cold. I was also convinced that all origins tasted the same thru a PP.

Things changed earlier in the year when my Zaffiro went 'clang' and I was forced to research and experiment with the Press. I soon discovered I was scorching the coffee. When I waited about for 4 mins and let the water drop to 90C, I was realy quite pleased with what I was tasting and there was no great rush to fix the machine.
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques