Ideas requested - Sumatran Blue Lintong

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Ideas requested - Sumatran Blue Lintong

Postby tisri » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:36 am

Hi all,

I just got hold of a 500g batch of Sumatran Blue Lintong and I'm looking for ideas of what to do with it. I've seen it advertised "dark roasted" so naturally I'll be giving that a try but the question is what to do with the other half of it. I'm using a Hottop so I only get two batches out of my 500g.

Any thoughts etc gratefully received.

Cheers
John
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby ivdp » Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:16 am

tisri wrote:Hi all,

I just got hold of a 500g batch of Sumatran Blue Lintong and I'm looking for ideas of what to do with it. I've seen it advertised "dark roasted" so naturally I'll be giving that a try but the question is what to do with the other half of it. I'm using a Hottop so I only get two batches out of my 500g.

Any thoughts etc gratefully received.

Cheers
John
Your first batch: roast as usual. Drink pure and than judge....

Ivo
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby phil » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:06 pm

If it's really Blue Lintong then IMO you shouldn't take it as dark as you would "cooking" Lintong.

I used to buy what was advertised as "Blue" Lintong from the Tea and Coffee Emporium quite regularly back in the days when I used to buy pre-roasted beans and it was definitely a medium roast in colour. It'd try taking it just into 2nd if I were you, and then if it's mouth-puckering go darker. This recommendation is for brewed coffee. IMO it would be a crying shame to stick it in an espresso blend, and espresso extraction is just not very kind to more delicate flavours.

BTW where did you get it?. Peter James normally sells it but said to me earlier in the year that he wasn't getting any in this year as the crop quality wasn't up to expectations.
Last edited by phil on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:33 pm

This stuff is Blue Lintong - I bought it from the Roast and Post Coffee Company (www.realcoffee.co.uk). It's about 60% more expensive than their regular coffees, certified organic, fair-trade etc etc.

I'll try taking it just into second as that seems like a good starting point for most things (espresso blends excepted, where it's better to hold off and hope for a third crack :))
tisri

Postby zix » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:05 pm

phil wrote:IMO it would be a crying shame to stick it in an espresso blend, and espresso extraction is just not very kind to more delicate flavours.

When you say this, I assume you mean "it´s a waste of money using Blue Lintong, you won´t feel the difference between that and the common Lintong in the blend". Is that right?
(Because I like it in espresso... I use it just like the Kenya or an Ethiopian Moka, to get some zing, high key, acidity or however that taste should be described. 5-10 percent, maybe)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby phil » Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:33 pm

Yes Mats I meant exactly that. I use Lintong in some of my blends too.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:40 pm

Don't worry Phil, I'm not going to put something like this into a blend! I'm not even going to nuke it because I want to know how it differs from other coffees!
tisri

Postby zix » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:00 pm

How did it go, tisri? Did you like it? I am curious.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
zix

Postby tisri » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:45 pm

I haven't got as far as roasting it yet (cringe with embarrassment). Since it's dark in the evenings I want to roast it at a time when I can rest it a couple of days and then drink it fresh. Since I decided (with help from this thread) what I was going to do with it I haven't had such a day available :(

I don't have anything planned for this coming weekend so I'll probably roast it on Wednesday and drink it over the weekend.

Don't worry, as soon as I've tasted it I'll report back and let everyone now how it turned out. I'm still itching for the best time to roast it :D
tisri

Postby zix » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:16 pm

I recognize that situation... It is dark over here too. Just got myself a new heatgun, the fan motor in the old one died two weeks ago, so I had to buy preroasted. Still have too much Molinari left :(... I don´t know what it is with these preroasted bags, they always seem to last too long for me.
zix

Postby tisri » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:06 pm

Update - I roasted it. It's very tasty too. It's funny - the green beans don't have much of a blue tinge to them but during the roasting cycle they went through a stage where they had a lot of blue. It's almost as if they went from green to blue to golden to brown.

I'm struggling to describe the flavours - I'll take another look at the wheel and do some cupping notes. This one is too special to just slurp and comment "that's nice".
tisri

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques