Buying a roaster...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Buying a roaster...

Postby NottmSteve » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:38 pm

I'd love to get a Hottop, as my HWP only roasts a handfull of beans. If anyone has any inside tips on how to get one for a decent price (ie a deal!) can they email me. I really couldn't go £500 and spend more than the total of my kit already!
Alternatively, anyone who knows of a used roaster anywhere (maybe an Alpenrost, or similar) or who wants to upgrade and sell their own, let me know?
Many thanks.
NottmSteve

Postby stevenzaat » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:37 pm

Maybe you can go for the I-Roast the successor of your current HWP. The capacity of the I-Roast (150 gram) almost doubles the capacity of the current HWP. At ongebrand (http://www.ongebrand.nl/index_eng.htm) they expect the first shipments at the end of October. They expect a price of GBP 120.

Hope this will help, but maybe there is somebody in the world who wants to get rid of his/her Hottop!

Best regards,

Steven
Last edited by stevenzaat on Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby phil » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:38 pm

Unless you get one 2nd hand mate, a Hottop is going to cost you £500. Since they've only just come to the European market and only a very, very small number of folk had one before then, they just aren't on the 2nd hand market AFAIK. Even if the European distributor were to cut you some sort of deal (and I know of no reason why he would) you're still looking at the thick end of £500.

So you either look out on eBay until a used Alp comes up, or you build a barbecue roaster.

I'd never really thought the barbecue roaster an option in our climate, but MattS uses one regularly and he lives in Glasgow. There's lots of info about how to build one on www.homeroaster.com (not to be confused with homeroaster.co.uk, a very different site! :) ). Also Matt has promised me an article on barbecue roasters. Expect this sometime in mid-November as long as Matt's domestic pressures allow.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:56 pm

I'd be impressed if you could find a used Hottop - the people who bought them early are unlikely to be dumping them because as far as I can see there's nothing better on the market unless you want to upgrade to huge gas-fired things. I've had mine six weeks and wouldn't dream of letting it go.

Before I bought mine I felt the same as you, that I didn't really want to spend that much (although I got mine at the introductory price of £449 instead of £499) but having seen it in action (and spoken to Phil, who kindly agreed to meet me and chat over a coffee) I was convinced. Obviously if you don't have the £500 available there won't be any convincing you, but don't be put off just because it costs more than an Imex or similar. It really is a cracking (no pun intended) machine.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby matts » Sat Oct 23, 2004 8:10 am

phil wrote:I'd never really thought the barbecue roaster an option in our climate, but MattS uses one regularly and he lives in Glasgow. Also Matt has promised me an article on barbecue roasters. Expect this sometime in mid-November as long as Matt's domestic pressures allow.

Steady on softy southerners, it's not Siberia! :? Although a wooly hat is the roasters accessory of choice from next month on. Roasting in the front of my garage can't be that much colder than sitting with a HWP and the back door open to let the smoke out. Excellent time of year to snag a bargain barbie as they clear them out at the DIY chains often more than 50% off now.

Matt
'Phil cranks up the fresh articles pressure in public :wink: '
matts

I know, I know!!!

Postby NottmSteve » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:15 pm

Hey...

I didn't for one minute expect a used Hottop, but you know what they say... if you don't ask!
I'm more after an Alp, or similar, from someone who has the £500 to upgrade! Like the idea of the I roast, so many thanks for that. Thats a serious option, and I'll consider it.
Keep me in mind if any used deals are whispered!
Thanks for the advice, guys.
NottmSteve

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques