Roasting produces CO ?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roasting produces CO ?

Postby MKSwing » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:51 pm

Hi there,
I roasted yesterday on my Imex 162g of greens. After a few minutes I began to feel strange and after the roast I started to have a little headache, which never occurs to me. My girlfriend who is a nurse, said it could be symptoms of CO (carbon monoxide) presence... This does not sound good to me :?
So is that possible ?

Edit.....

Ok, I googled a little and yes, it produces CO, so be careful when you roast and use good ventilation, or better, roast out of home.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby simonp » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:58 pm

After a few minutes I began to feel strange and after the roast I started to have a little headache

I get this effect sometimes when I roast with the popper, and lean over the open top a lot, I wondered if it was caffeine.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby tisri » Thu Oct 21, 2004 4:27 pm

Curious - I just sat my CO sensor next to the Hottop while I roasted some beans well into second crack. I even turned off the fan to make sure it wasn't blowing everything around. For the entire duration of the roast my meter read 0 ppm of CO. When second crack was popping furiously I held the sensor right over the machine to catch as much smoke as possible and it still read 0 ppm.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby MKSwing » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 pm

tisri wrote:Curious - I just sat my CO sensor next to the Hottop while I roasted some beans well into second crack. I even turned off the fan to make sure it wasn't blowing everything around. For the entire duration of the roast my meter read 0 ppm of CO. When second crack was popping furiously I held the sensor right over the machine to catch as much smoke as possible and it still read 0 ppm.

Maybe it depends on the greens you're using. I never had this feeling before that roast. Could that be the robusta beans ?
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby tisri » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:42 pm

Could be, although I think to experience meaningful symptoms from CO you need to be looking at 150+ ppm.

Whether it's the beans or the roaster, or indeed something else entirely, it's hard to say.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques