How much of your coffee habit do you home roast?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

How much of your coffee habit do you home roast?

Postby simonp » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:52 pm

OK all you home roasters, I though it would be interesting to find outhow much of your coffe consumtion is home roasted, and how much you buy roasted.
I thought this might be usefull to potential home roasters to see how the output of their attempts would feed their habit.

I'm guessing that Hottop owners will be roasting most if not all of their useage, wheras smaller air roasters and popcron machine users will be a lower percentage.

Myself, using the popcorn machine, and ocaasionally my new aquisition Imex I would say I'm doing about 75% of my own roasting, although I expect taht to drop in the winter due to limited roasting oportunities.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:00 pm

I never buy roasted. Occasionally some nice chap sends me a sample, but that's very occasionally.

All of the coffee I drink at home (with the above exception - about 500g in the last year) comes out of my Hottop.

At work it's a different story. I've tried to find ways of taking good coffee to work. I haven't made it happen. Equally, where I am now brewing my own is as impossible as it was at BP. Boo hoo.

So it's machine coffee. I need the caffeine, OK? :oops: At BP the coffee was provided by a bean to cup machine, which veered between mediocre and downright poor. At Arval PHH where I am now it's real machine coffee, and it's nasty.

Anybody in the gourmet coffee bizz need a consultant data architect?
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:07 pm

I have an Imex but I buy all my coffee roasted. Just can't be bothered, and my local roaster is doing a fine job - especially since they roast a bit lighter than before. I was never overwhelmed with the quality that my Imex provided.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:14 pm

So it's machine coffee. I need the caffeine, OK?

Strangely I don't drink coffee during the day at all. A cappuccino with breakfast, and an espresso (occasionally cafetiere coffee) in the evening is all I usually drink. We only get through about 250-300g a week.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:16 pm

You know, I just thought:

"That's a hell of an admission. The co-founder of TMC, a very coffee and home-roasting oriented community, can't be bothered to roast his own coffee" :shock::shock::shock::shock:

Then I had another thought (yeah I know, two! Call the McWhirters!). If we were all as lucky as Raf, would we have bothered to take up homeroasting?

I know what my answer would be - but what about everyone else?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:45 pm

Er do you mind letting us know your answer, Phil? :)

The reverse question of yours, Phil, is: 'If I were so lucky (or rich) as to own a HT, would I bother to go to the shop?' Hmmm, well, I guess I am a bit lazy... :roll:
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby phil » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:11 pm

Luck's got naff all to do with it.

Sacrifice for my art. That's what it is! :wink:

And yeah, you answered your own question Raf! :roll:

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby mnemonix » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:53 pm

100% home roasted (burglaries allowing) :)

chris
mnemonix

Postby matts » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:01 pm

Bought 1x250g bag of roasted in the last year (which was delicious but Aberdeen isn't exactly handy :? ).

BBQ roast the rest, usually a 600-700g batch for espresso which lasts 7,8,9 days depending, and then a follow up 300g maybe of some SO for the vac pot (weekends mornings only) and Zass/plunger at work.

Matt
Is that nearly a kg a week, help...
matts

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:32 am

I roast 250g for espresso per week and the same for cafetiere, usually the same evening. I don't buy roasted normally but I'm buying 500g of roasted Daterra espresso blend this week to compare with 2Kg of the same green home-roasted. I take beans to work and use a Zass to grind them for cafetiere. (I also reckon I'll waste a lot of beans learning to use the new espresso machine, that's why 500g not just 250g.)

By the way, following a suggestion on the SM Homeroast list, I have just used a good few drops of sunflower oil on the Zass (dribbled onto the Zass' screw from the top after removing the top nut and into the hole in the adjustment collar by dipping a thin rod in the oil) and it's now grinding much more quietly and above all not squeaking. It's an open plan layout at work and previously I was feeling twitchy about the amount of noise the Zass was making. I couldn't taste any oil in the next brew.

Cheers,

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Postby zix » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:01 am

I buy maybe 2-4 coffee bags per year, mostly when away from home and I see something which I haven´t tried before. The rest is home roasted, about 500g per week, mostly with the heatgun. If I need a lot I use the oven, if I need just a little I use the cheapo popper. Drum roast is waiting for heater upgrade still.

Recently, due to changes in my work situation, I have started bringing home roasted to the job/studies too, trying to find blends for drip coffee (the old manual drip). A new challenge! Did a blend with mostly Sumatra Lintung+Kenya last - tastes really really nice for being drip.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Sunflower oil in a grinder

Postby ivdp » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:39 am

By the way, following a suggestion on the SM Homeroast list, I have just used a good few drops of sunflower oil on the Zass (dribbled onto the Zass' screw from the top after removing the top nut and into the hole in the adjustment collar by dipping a thin rod in the oil) and it's now grinding much more quietly and above all not squeaking. It's an open plan layout at work and previously I was feeling twitchy about the amount of noise the Zass was making. I couldn't taste any oil in the next brew.

Cheers,

Hugh[/quote]

Just wait till the oil gets old, sticky and smelly.

Ivo
ivdp

Postby quink » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:30 am

phil wrote:So it's machine coffee. I need the caffeine, OK?

I know what thats like, you get in in the morning, I only live about 10 mins from work and can still taste the morning brew. I go straight to the kitchen for more caffeine, and generally wish I hadn't bothered after tasting it. I did try taking my own for about a month but that was becoming a bit costly.

As for the roasting I roast 95% at home but still occaisionly get roasted beans if I've run out and cant wait for the beans to rest
quink

Postby MKSwing » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:43 am

phil wrote:Then I had another thought (yeah I know, two! Call the McWhirters!). If we were all as lucky as Raf, would we have bothered to take up homeroasting?

I know what my answer would be - but what about everyone else?

I still would, and I'm quite happy with the result I get from my Imex. But, in France, this question has no sense, if one day, I'll use roasted beans coming from a shop, it will be mine. Here, roasted beans are lighter than what I need for my espresso and the quality of the beans is inferior to my greens.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Re: Sunflower oil in a grinder

Postby HughF » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:04 pm

ivdp wrote:
Just wait till the oil gets old, sticky and smelly.

Ivo

I used VERY little of the sunflower oil.

Any helpful suggestions for other means of quietening a Zass then?

Hugh
Grinders : Macap MXK conical for espresso, Mahlkoenig Vario for Chemex, Macap MC6 (spare when our office was closed) for cafetiere, Zassenhaus Knee Mill for cafetiere when working away from home.
La Spaziale Vivaldi S1 espresso machine. HotTop KN8828P roaster. Chemex manual drip for most brewed coffee plus cafetieres and eSantos.
HughF

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques