Roasting Training

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Roasting Training

Postby tandukcoffee » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm very excited to be finally taking the plunge into roasting! Next week I'll be learning how to roast with a 20 kg drum roaster. The roaster is made here in Indonesia by a gentleman who has been building roasters and coffee equipment for many years. Funny thing is that he doesn't even have a name for his roasters.

He builds everything from 1kg sample roasters all the way up to fully automated industrial roasters. Most are used for domestic production.

I'll post my experiences along with some pictures as things progress but wanted to invite comments, advice, etc from any of you who have experience.
tandukcoffee

RE: Roasting Training

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Wow, sounds like you will be having loads of fun! Please do let us know how it goes and if you get the chance to include some photos of the roasters that would be fantastic too :P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby bruceb » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Ooooooh, super! Yes, please give us a complete report with pictures. Tell us also about the beans you are roasting and how the end product tastes. What an invaluable experience. Good luck and have fun!
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Joris » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Now that is a nice way to kill some time :) Please do post pics and a write-up on how it went. And as Bruce said... Have fun !
Veni, Vidi, Imbibi Coffea !

Bezzera Lever Machine (customized)
Doserless Mazzer Major
"Juggernaut" Homebuilt Roaster
Aeropress, Vacpots, presspots and mokkapots
Joris

Postby Olings » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 pm

I'd also love to hear about your experiences with these roasters. Please post some pics if you can.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby tandukcoffee » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:56 pm

Well...about time for an update! I'm still clicking around the TMC forums. My roasting training was delayed as the roaster was not completed yet. But now it is finished! But, alas, coffee harvests in N. Sumatra have been a bit delayed and my supplier was not satisfied with the first harvest sample that he received. Second crop samples are due later this week.

I should know by now that things typically take a lot longer than what you hope for.

In the mean time I have been trying to process an export license with the pertinent governmental agencies. Again...much longer than expected. The person who needs to sign has taken a trip to another island and we are now coming up on a week since my recommendation letter should have been signed. Arg!!!

But a sample from the island of Flores is due in tomorrow(wednesday) so I'm planning on going in on Thursday for a full session of roasting. My supplier also has samples of last season harvest of Java (Jampit I think). He said it is "ok" but will be better to be blended with some of the other origins.

I also received a sample of some Bali Kintamani but it was absolutely horrible. Beans were small and lots of "stinkers". I think they sent me the left overs! So I think the Bali will not make the cut for this first shipment.

I'll be sure to post pictures and a full update!
tandukcoffee

Postby tandukcoffee » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:21 am

Ok...Here is the report!

I went in for roasting training about a week and a half ago. It couldn't have been a more perfect day! Firstly I was able to spend the whole day with my wife and leave our two lovely daughters at home (I love them too but time with Jennifer is short these days!)

Secondly...we got to see our new 20 kg roaster that is ALMOST finished. Just needs a few controls and a 110 volt motor. So since we were not able to roast on our machine we were able to roast on a 25 kg roaster that the guy has in his shop. The roaster is phenomenal! We were able to even roast a one kg sample that turned out great!

The roasters use hot air as well as drum heat...he says about 80% hot air and 20% from the drum.

So I had my first training and roasted 2 kg of Toraja as well as about 1 kg each of Flores and Timor Arabicas. Both of these, however were rather poor samples that had not been sorted or graded. They did not impress so we'll pass on those this year.

The following week he received a sample of Sumatra Mandheling that we have been waiting for. I wasn't able to go in for that roast but he brought me the sample and it is quite nice. Definitely not as full bodied as the Toraja but a nice cup and cleaner than the Toraja. The Toraja is still my favorite by far! It is amazing how much oil comes out of those beans on the day after roast.

Finally...I got my iPhone! The iPhone has been delayed coming to Indonesia and they had the launching on Friday so we stood in line for a while to get one.

Now we just need to get everything exported! So much red tape in this country!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure...

tandukcoffee

Postby bruceb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:07 am

WOW! Lovely. Very impressive looking. You'll have to tell us more about the heating system when you have some experience with it. Thanks for sharing. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques