49th Parallel

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

49th Parallel

Postby Jasonscheltus » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Just thought I'd give props to 49th. I bought their Guatemalan Finca La Perla COE lot, and a Kenyan coffee listed as Mount Kenya AA.

While they had minimal information on the Kenyan coffee, it was roasted superbly. Clean, really sweet, juicy and lovely lingering winey blackcurrant acidity (think young Martinborough pinot noir) without getting near the under-developed breadiness or sourness that lighter roasts can have. Without overstating this, it was the best cup of coffee I've had in many months (including coffee travels to NYC, San Fran, Melbourne and New Zealand).

I'm looking forward to making the next cup with more care and attention.

The downside is that shipping was mega expensive. Two bags of coffee, an espresso cup, and the shipping was $50 Canadian. But express was express, ordered on Monday night, and arrived Friday morning.

But, a bloody lovely cup of coffee. Thanks 49th Parallel!
Jasonscheltus

RE: 49th Parallel

Postby syscrusher » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:35 am

We ordered 22 bags from them just before Christmas - shipping was $120.

The Beloya was particularly stunning.
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby charmon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:02 am

I was one of those "we" and that beloya was amazing.pipped SQM Santa rita to my coffee of the year on dec 29th...
charmon

Postby kingseven » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:41 am

:(

That said - 49th are a great roastery, very driven and just don't compromise when it comes to quality. Definitely a company we look up to and are always excited to taste their coffee.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Beanie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:35 pm

I never did get to try Beloya.. it arrived @ work (Xmas special) on my last day before leaving for YVR for Xmas and I didn't want to open "the gift" until "Mum & Dad" were there :( But hey, no worries, I was going to visit the 49th roastery while I was in YVR. Unfortunately, Vince and I didn't connect until my last full day in YVR :( Booohoooo hoooo :cry: And the roastery was all of 5 minutes away from my sister's where I was staying :cry: Ah well... next time ;)

I must say though that I love love love the Epic Espresso blend :D It's the closest to what I was trying to achieve for myself when blending/roasting @ home :D Unfortunately, we ran out of Epic yesterday half-way through the day... BUT... the new shipment should have arrived today :D Can't wait to work tomorrow :D
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 am

We were looking at bringing a couple of bags over last year but as Jason and Sys eluded, the shipping is expensive to put it mildly :(
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Beanie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:22 pm

Don't worry Cakey, I have no doubt you'll get to try a bit of 49th before this summer ;) ;)

Hmmmmm has SQM already had a taste of West Coast?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby syscrusher » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:24 pm

CakeBoy wrote:We were looking at bringing a couple of bags over last year but as Jason and Sys eluded, the shipping is expensive to put it mildly :(

$120 divided by 22 bags is only $5.45 per bag (bags went from 12-16oz). Ok it's more than you'd pay from a UK roaster, but at that volume it's not bad, especially when you consider Jason's 2 bag order worked out at $25 shipping a bag.

We split the order between 7 or 8 of us (I think).
http://theotherblackstuff.ie

#2 World Schlurper 2010
syscrusher

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:44 pm

It does work out better that way for sure Sys. The only problem with a group buy here is everyone is so far aprt and it would require secondary mailing. It would be nice to sort out something though :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby 300CUPS » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 am

I second the motion on the Finca la Perla. Superb. I also recommend the Koke Cooperative Grade 1 Yerg. Lovely, delicate, floral, fruity and moderate all around. Ordered this along with my usual order of Epic Espresso, which I am using to figure out how to do this right. I have found that, when I do get it right, I KNOW it with the Epic, because it is sooo good. The company and the shipping folks in the warehouse are a pleasure to deal with as well.
By hook or by crook, I will get milk steaming figured out.

Gaggia XD two group; Rossi RR45; Zassenhaus; various Presses.
300CUPS

Postby Beanie » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 am

If you guys can wait a few months, I'm planning a trip over in late spring ;) I believe I can get the shipping from YVR to me free (as it'll be included with the shop delivery). I'll be packing light as I'm planning to bring a whole bunch of my stuff back with me... so.... I'm thinking I could take ohhh around 5'ish KGs of coffee with me?
Beanie

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:10 am

:P
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi guys,

damn I would definitely like to try some of their coffees, any chance to hop on board the 'bring as much coffee as I can' train Beany?:)

Regards,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby leecb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Count me in Beany, and maybe we can get someone to let us play with it on their coffee machine when we do the spring crawl (obviously whilst you are here!) as well! :D
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby Beanie » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:42 pm

Woohoooooooo... when's the spring crawl though?
Beanie

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques