Wok roasting times

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Wok roasting times

Postby darrensandford » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:37 pm

As usual, I try something once and end up taking it more seriously than I should! After buying some greens by accident, I wok roasted them and ended up with something actually rather good, so I decided to buy some more greens and really try to figure it out.

I just roasted a large mugfull ( :D ) of beans and am curious as to my timings.

8:30 - 1st started
10:30 - 1st finished
13:50 - first pops of second heard, dumped onto aluminium baking tray and dashed to the front door to cool, losing chaff as I go.

I can get a little more heat in from start to 1st, as the gas wasn't on full. Also, I reduced the heat right back to low when 1st started for about 30 seconds to a minute, then brought it back to about 50% power, then back to full at the end of 1st.

The beans are pretty evenly roasted, and cracking one open shows nice even colour throughout the bean.

Any comments? Does my 1st crack last too long? I am curious to know if this is reasonable. The beans smell -wonderful- at the moment, but I can't call it valve sniffing, more like tupperware-lid sniffing. No bacon so far! :D
darrensandford

RE: Wok roasting times

Postby lukas » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 am

Taste it! That is about the only factor that can help you determine what to change on that profile!
I'd also strongly recommend weighing your greens pre-roast, as you'll have a real hard time understanding what's going on when you're not doing the same amount every time, especially in the beginning. It took me _really_ long to figure that one out!

Oh, and if you taste it now, let it degas a bit and taste it one or two days later - you might get a little surprise in there :)
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby darrensandford » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks - I think I have been thinking about it the wrong way :)
darrensandford

Postby triptogenetica » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:48 pm

Sounds good! I found pan-roasting too smoky for my tastes, but that it could produce a good even roast. (I stir with a spoon in one hand, and make circular motions with the pan with the other).

Definitely stick with it, and weighing beans is good too. So far I've noticed that if the roast takes less than (maybe) 14 minutes, it's a good thing (avoids bacony smells and tastes). Good luck!
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby darrensandford » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:19 pm

Note to self - three consecutive roasts at around 14 minutes, in a pan with a steel lid, with 10 ounces of green beans in, tossing those beans every second or two is rather hard on the arm/shoulder/back!

I am paying for it today, but roasting coffee and giving it to friends to try? Priceless, but I must say I am a little nervous!
darrensandford

Postby triptogenetica » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:31 am

hmm - I had to keep quiet about the "I roast my own coffee" thing for a bit, until I was fairly happy with my roasts. But it is great to have the, "so, you buy it... what, raw? green? what?" conversation...
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby darrensandford » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:57 am

Yeah - it was only yesterday a friend of mine replied "Wait, coffee comes in green?"
darrensandford

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques