Jumping beans in a popcorn popper

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Jumping beans in a popcorn popper

Postby voice_of_reason » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:31 pm

After trying my first roast in a Prima popper, I was quite pleased with the results, but I was surprised at how many beans I lost during the process! The little chaps kept leaping to freedom, and I had a fair few on the floor by the end. Even keeping the clear plastic lid on (which I did to help direct the chaff) didn't stop them pinging off the underside of the lid and jumping out the chute at the front.

I tipped the machine back a bit which seemed to help keep the beans in there (don't know if that adversely affects the roast?) - but does anyone have any other tips? Should I put more beans in there so they're not as 'active'? I used 85g. Trouble is, as the roast progresses they 'liven up' anyway, so I don't think that'll make much difference.

Thanks!
voice_of_reason

RE: Jumping beans in a popcorn popper

Postby the_dude » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:37 pm

Try stirring with a spoon. Personally I roast 80g and loose only a few beans a batch. I once tried 100g but that seems to be too much: No whirlpool at the beginning and after they started to move too much were on the run :-)
[Andreja Premium, Mazzer Major, Behmor]
the_dude

RE: Jumping beans in a popcorn popper

Postby alwrjp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Go to a supermarket, buy a can of something of diameter about the size
of the popper opening (I used a can of pineapple slices), remove both ends and the label, then
insert into the opening. In my case, I just rested it on the top and held it in place
with the plastic lid, but it may be useful make some cuts (2-3cm) in it and bend
suitably to jam it in place. I could have 135g happily roasting with that installed,
as the beans have to jump a lot higher to get out!
As suggested above, stirring with a spoon helps, especially at the beginning to get
things moving.
Last edited by alwrjp on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
alwrjp

Re: RE: Jumping beans in a popcorn popper

Postby voice_of_reason » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:42 am

the_dude wrote:Try stirring with a spoon. Personally I roast 80g and loose only a few beans a batch. I once tried 100g but that seems to be too much: No whirlpool at the beginning and after they started to move too much were on the run :-)

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I guess it should help give a more even roast too. I'll try to find a small spoon with a long handle that won't melt!

Presumably you have to stir continuously to stop the beans from jumping out though? I thought stirring usually involved breaking for 10 or 15 seconds in between stirs?
voice_of_reason

Re: RE: Jumping beans in a popcorn popper

Postby voice_of_reason » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am

alwrjp wrote:Go to a supermarket, buy a can of something of diameter about the size
of the popper opening (I used a can of pineapple slices), remove both ends and the label, then
insert into the opening. In my case, I just rested it on the top and held it in place
with the plastic lid, but it may be useful make some cuts (2-3cm) in it and bend
suitably to jam it in place. I could have 135g happily roasting with that installed.
As suggested above, stirring with a spoon helps, especially at the beginning to get
things moving.

Yes, I'd seen the mods on the Internet where people had glued tin cans to the top of their poppers but I hadn't dared to vandalise mine yet. :wink:

I'll try slotting a can in like you suggest. With the top off I suppose you can still see the beans too, which is good, as I found it quite hard to listen for first or second crack - mainly because I couldn't hear above the sound of the machine running. It's noisier than I thought! Plus being outside, it's harder to hear anyway.

It's all about practising I guess!
voice_of_reason

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques