My i-Roast has just died

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

My i-Roast has just died

Postby sabre2 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:34 am

Mid roast, just died - fan off, display off. Dead. Fuse is OK in the plug.

It's had quite a few kilos of beans through it in the time I've had it, so it's merely annoying rather than wrath-inducing.

Does anyone know whether this is a case of 'They all do that, sir'? Is there a possibility of a fix? I'm reasonably handy with a screwdriver and multimeter, but that's not going to help if the 'brain' has gone.

Failing that, what's the - ahhmm - entry level roaster of choice these days? Judging from the number of mentions, the HotTop seems well regarded.

Cheers
John
sabre2

RE: My i-Roast has just died

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:27 am

Sorry to hear that John. I don't know if you can fix it, but if you do have to buy a replacement the Hottop is indeed imo an excellent roaster. Good luck :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby nickr » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:13 pm

You should check out the Gene Cafe before spending all that money. I won't say anything else - we cant have that discussion again.
Just call me Eeyore
nickr

Postby leecb » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:54 pm

we cant have that discussion again.

:roll: :lol:
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Yes, it is worth searching on Gene Cafe as well. It is capable of excellent roasting but do read up well before buying any machine.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby sabre2 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Oh let's have the discussion! Actually, judging from what I've found in my 'researches' on t'interweb so far I see what you mean about the Gene Cafe/Hottop strife. Both have their supporters, but neither seems without their flaws (the machines that is, not the supporters!)

The base model of the Hottop is similar in price to the Gene Cafe. I certainly can't justify anything like the fancier variants of the Hottop. Realistically, even the base model is, for me, a bit of a sticking point. Equally, I can't go back to the iRoast. Six minutes to 2nd crack doesn't seem quite right - nor did the unholy row.

So right now I'm thinking about taking a couple of months off and seeing what the price will look like on the Behmor - if and when it hits these shores. Meanwhile I'll be keeping an eye on ebay - and maybe the 'for sale' ads on here? I see I missed a Hottop recently - anyone else thinking selling?

Cheers
John
sabre2

Postby CakeBoy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:12 pm

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me John :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby Gouezeri » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:15 pm

John,
I'd have a word with Steve if I was you, as he has pretty much sold or tried all of the home roasters out there and is pretty damn impartial when it comes to recommending them. Ask to buy his Alpenrost and you'll see what I mean (he could do with clearing the space it is taking up)! :lol:
Seriously though, I don't think there is an electric home roaster out there that doesn't have its flaws, so if you're waiting for a perfect market leading device to pop up, I'm afraid I really don't know of one.
Cost is of course an issue to bear in mind, but I really think you want to focus on finding the right machine for the kind of roasting you do; profile, batch size, frequency, there are all kinds of elements to bear in mind, in order to make the right decision for you. So fill us in on what you drink and how you roast and we'll try and help.
D
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby sabre2 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi

My roasting with the iRoast wasn't very sophisticated - I was one of those who couldn't tell any difference between the two presets. My routine was to sling in 160gm beans, start it, stick the oven timer on for 5 mins and then go and look at it. Somewhere around 6 mins the first audible signs of 2nd crack would start and I'd hit the cool button, knowing that it would keep cooking for a minute longer.

The resulting beans went 1/3 into espresso, 2/3 into what I would call cafe con leche rather than cafe latte - a double shot of espresso into a 1/3 pint cup, topped up with steamed milk rather than awash with milk.

This is making me want to buy a roaster now... be strong...

One of my principal issues with the iRoast is the small size - 300 or more grams in a batch would be great. Prior to the iRoast I made a popcorn popper roaster - too fiddly, too small, too messy. I'm not going back down that road!

John
sabre2

Postby Johnmac » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:19 pm

John, have you ever used a Whirley Popper? I have an I-Roast II, a WP and have used a Gene Cafe. I don't use the I-Roast at all now because the results I get from the WP are so much better. In addition to it producing good results and being cheap you can also roast quite large amounts: I do 500 grams at a time. The only snag is that it is hard to find a stainless steel one in the UK: I bought mine from Sweet Marias, which cost a bit but did mean that I could try some of their grean beans.
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Postby sabre2 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:58 pm

Hi

I haven't come across these before, believe it or not. Google shows Hasbean had them, but the page seems to be 404 now; need Steve to wander by and tell us. What's the issue with them being stainless steel (or not)? Also, what is the diameter of the base? I could maybe use a Trangia stove in the garage, and avoid a divorce...

I was seriously starting to consider a dog bowl/heatgun as an interim measure, as I'm getting increasingly desperate. These WP seem to be a step up the ladder from that setup!

Cheers
John
sabre2

Postby sabre2 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:03 pm

Further googling reveals a number of places selling these WP that say 'stainless steel stirring rods'. Is that enough?

John
sabre2

Postby Johnmac » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm

Hi John

I had an aluminium one for a while and it was fine (until it broke). Some people worry about a theoretical risk of aluminium giving you Alzheimers - there is no evidence for this but it is a nasty thought. The stainless ones have metal gears which last much longer. Perhaps the biggest advantage though is that is has a heavier base which seems to heat more evenly.

The other option is to keep an eye on ebay: antique stove top roasters do come up from time to time.

I use the WP inside and I don't find it any worse than the I-Roast for smoke. If you enjoy cooking I think you'll enjoy roasting in this way: for me a big part of the pleasure of cooking is drawing upon your knowledge and senses to judge what's going on. Roasting coffee in this way really is very engaging.

I really enjoyed getting a selection of greens from Sweet Marias too.
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Postby sabre2 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:47 pm

Johnmac wrote:
... theoretical risk of aluminium giving you Alzheimers

..... ....... ....... Sorry, I drifted off; what were we talking about?
sabre2

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques