Cafe Rosto/ Imex CR-100

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Cafe Rosto/ Imex CR-100

Postby Spironski » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:05 am

I am new to home roasting, but I wanted to give it a shot, because I was fed up with stale beans.
So I bought a second hand Cafe Rosto from Marktplaats for €60. Before finalizing the buy, I did some research and it turned out that it should be a decent but not great roaster. That is okay, because it was cheap, and it is a try out. I am looking for advice from people who know this device.

These past few days I have been experimenting with it, and to me it looks like it can't get hot enough. I did some modding already by covering the exit vents with tinfoil a bit, I let it heat up for at least 5 minutes, but still it needs like 20 minutes roasting time before I get something like city+ roast with 115 garms of Brasil Santos. Also I don't know if I can hear the cracks at all, so mostly I do it on smell and by looking at the colour.
Results are only okay. The espresso lacks some sweetness, like chocolate, and I miss some "core", some roast and nuttiness.

Is it normal that one has to roast for 20+ minutes? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Matthijs
La Scala Butterfly, Mazzer Major, Gaggia Factory, Xpressivo Barista
Spironski

RE: Cafe Rosto/ Imex CR-100

Postby Steve » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:35 am

There were issues with these roasters losing some of there power the older they got, it sounds like one of those :(
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Spironski » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 pm

Oh bugger! The guy I bought is from told me the unit was only two years old (so probabely 3-4years). Could it be that it went downhill that quickly?

Are you meaning to say that there is nothing I can do about it, and that I should buy a proper new one? :shock:
La Scala Butterfly, Mazzer Major, Gaggia Factory, Xpressivo Barista
Spironski

Postby Bertie_Doe » Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:30 am

The roast times on my Hot air Hearthware Precision roaster started to get longer, as the machine got beyond 14 months old. I guess the element starts to de-grade. I extended it's life by 4 months, by reducing the batch by 15 grams. However, I read elsewhere, that someone got shorter roasts, by increasing the batch?? .... something to do with the airspace between beans!! It's all black magic :twisted:
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques