Hottop noises?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop noises?

Postby quoad » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:07 am

So... if you own a Hottop, what kind of noises does it make?

Mine - ok - has a fairly standard squeak. That can be mostly eliminated by tinkering with the gold bolt on the front.

But it also has a tendency to make the most soul-destroying metal-grating / metal-rubbing noise. And it's pretty easy to see that the internal drum is really struggling to rotate for approx. 1/3 of the drum rotation.

There are occasions on which - no matter what I do, no matter how much I loosen or tighten the gold bolt - it just won't fade. Let alone stop.

Tends to start up after 3-4 roasts, and a clean-out helps. It'll usually start up at some point during a roast, though. I was wondering if anyone else has this, if it's a standard problem, and / or if it's easily fixed with a bit of tinkering.

Cheers!
quoad

RE: Hottop noises?

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:46 pm

Dismantle the drum and apply some food-safe lube to both the points of rotation. I use lip salve myself and it does the trick.
Alternatively, I fail to fit my hearing aid and this immediately causes the machine to operate in the smoothest, quietest way possible. This method does have its drawbacks however unless of course you have a predilection for very dark roasts.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques