Just bought the Hottop and need some roasting/blending tips

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Just bought the Hottop and need some roasting/blending tips

Postby stevenzaat » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:49 pm

After my thread "The arrival of the I-Roast" I changed my mind and bought yeasterday a Hottop at Hasbean (thanks again for the nice way of doing business). Responsible for this spending behaviour are the enthousiastic reactions of Tisri, SimonP, Phil and EricC. :x
I even asked the American Coffeegeek about their experience. They were very positive, but I still had more confidence in my European friends. So I will receive the Hottop on Saturday.

Besides the Hottop I ordered the following green beans at Hasbean:
* 2 kilo Brazil Brazil Fazenda Cachoera (waterfall) Borbon (ref 1003) (basis for the blends)
* 500 gram Guatemala Huehuehengo
* 250 gram Indian Cherry AB Robusta (ref 1007) (just for the crema 10% in my espresso cup)
* 500 gram Costa Rica Naranjo Bandola (ref 1024)
* 500 gram Mexican SHG ep Topacio(ref 1028)
* 500 gram Kenya Peaberry "Eaagads Estate" (ref 1034)
* 500 gram Brazil Espresso perfeito Blend (ref 1025)
* 500 gram Columbian Quebradon Relationship Coffee (ref 1001)

Does anybody have a suggestion of a perfect blend using the above beans, including the preset roast profile on the Hottop. I drink both espresso (200-250 gram per week) and drip coffee (200-250 gram per week). I like the Italian style espresso (Roma style) and for the drip coffee I like a coffee with a lot aroma (caramel taste).

The main disadvantages of the Hottop for my consumption level is the minimum size of the batches. So in my modest opinion I have to preblend to drink continuously coffee from fresh roasted beans fresh. And when I really want to drink "fresh roasted " coffee, I would even have to use the batch both for espresso and drip or is this impossible. I assume that the roasted coffee will stay fresh for 4 days or are the beans longer fresh?
If they stay fresh for 1 week, I could preblend one for the espresso and one for the drip or I could make two batches (one with slow roasting beans and one with fast roasting beans) and afterwards I could blend for my drip and espresso. Please advice this newbie to tackle the freshness problem.

So you see a lot of questions and because you guys pushed me into this hobby with the Hottop, I tell you: you will not get rid off me easy! :P

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions and I hope I will love this new hobby with this beautiful machine.

Best regards,

Steven
PS I have already the book of Kenneth Davids, but I couldn't find this information.
stevenzaat

Postby tisri » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:16 pm

Welcome to Hottop ownership! Glad my gushing was of use to you :)

The only bean you mention that I've roasted for myself is the Cachoeira, which I roasted on its own until just into second crack. As a relative newbie to roasting I'd suggest you pick a single bean first of all and roast it. Listen out for first and second crack - first crack is unmistakeable when it happens but second might not be quite so obvious (it is much quieter than first). Use setting 7 on the Hottop (I've never used anything else) and decide for yourself when you want to dump the beans with the Eject button.

If you don't already have one buy yourself an accurate timer and keep a roasting log - note down when the beans went into first and second crack and when you stopped the roast. That lets you define the end point more accurately - "60 seconds into first crack" is infinitely more useful than "18 minutes and 47 seconds"

When the beans have finished their cooling cycle put them in a vacuum bag (Hasbean sell them, as I'm sure other places do) and leave them for a couple of days. If you're like me you'll open them every couple of hours to smell them.

As long as you keep air to a minimum around them they'll stay fresh for a while. Conventional wisdom seems to be that after resting you need to use them within a few days, although I reckon that if you keep them in a vacuum bag as long as you use them within a couple of weeks you'll be fine. If you leave them loose on the counter they'll go stale faster.

Also don't forget that they'll come out much lighter. When I roast for espresso I push the beans well into second crack. 250g of beans go in and 200-205g come out.

Roasting pre-blended coffee works just like origin coffee except that the different beans go into their first and second cracks at different times. If you blend a fast roasting bean with a slow roasting bean you risk having one burning before the other is ready.

For myself I roast origin coffee to drink as is, and buy pre-blended espresso blends for espresso. In due course I'll probably give blending my own a go, but for now I'm happy with the blends I currently buy. If you want the specifics drop me a PM, so I'm not blatantly advertising here :)

Hope that helps!
John
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby simonp » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:34 pm

You could try Cach as a base, add some Columbian, some of the Guatamalan, and maybe a small ammount of Robusta. Try a 4,3,2,1 ratio (in order) as a start.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:24 am

Ahh Simon, we've trained you well! Good man :D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:35 am

Did I miss something Phil? Simon said to include a small amount of robusta and you said he'd been well trained?
tisri

Postby phil » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:45 am

I'm a lifelong liberal old chap. Each to their own. I don't like Robusta and prefer Arabica only blends. Others feel differently.

I'm not going to make "no stinkin' disgusta" a TMC membership criterion - yet anyway.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:06 am

Ahh Simon, we've trained you well!

I would have suggested lots of lovely Lintong though if he had any, so not trained that well :twisted:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby Steve » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:18 pm

Watch out Phils on his robusta soap box :twisted:
Steve
Founder Member

Postby simonp » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:27 pm

Phil has a soapbox made out of robusta :shock: Well at least he found a use for his beans :lol: :lol:
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
simonp

Postby tisri » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:33 pm

I reckon we ought to see who can come up with the best blend using only robusta beans. The winner gets to send a sample of their blend to Phil for his opinion :D
tisri

Postby stevenzaat » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:11 pm

Thanks for all the recomendations. Yesterday I received my Hottop and immediateley my blood temperature increased to 39 degrees Celsius. So when I am rid of my fever, I will start immediately.

I will try Simon P's suggestion. If possible I will preblend it, except for the robusta, which I will roast seperately. As I can see (with my little knowledge) this is a blend for espresso or can I also use this for drip with the same roast profile. Idf not does anybody has a suggestion (including roast profile) taken into account the beans I posses.

Anyway thanks for all the recommendation and I will show my results as soon as I am 100% in shape to start this serious hobby.

Best regards,

Steven
stevenzaat

My first roast !

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:52 pm

Here are the results of my first roast. It was really a wonderful experience and I love the Hottop already.

I just started with the perfeito blend of Hasbean and I found it difficult to hear the cracks, but I assume this has to do with my lack of knowledge.

It took me about 20 minutes (starting the 2nd cracks), maybe because I roasted outside my house (and autumn is really arriving now in Holland). Furthermore the roast looks a little bit uneven, but this is probably caused by the fact it is a preblend. I compared it to the roast of my local roaster and also his terrific tasting espresso has an uneven roast.

So please comment on the picture, is it really uneven or just normal and did I reach the right roast-level for a Full City?

Furthermore should I add some Robusta for the crema and can I also use this for my drip coffee.

I am open for any suggestions and impossible to be hurt by your remarks :(

Many thanks,
Steven
Attachments
P9130068.JPG
P9130068.JPG (86.73 KiB) Viewed 7668 times
P9130067.JPG
P9130067.JPG (83.39 KiB) Viewed 7668 times
stevenzaat

Postby Steve » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:59 pm

I wouldnt add robusta it seems to behave well without, in the drip it will work just as well too,.

The roast will be a little uneven as its pre blended, but I may have taken it a little longer, but thats personal tase more than anything. Ambiant temp does play a part in the cycle, so this will make results varied, well done and congratulations on your first roast
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:07 pm

Gah. You need to roast much much darker :D

Seriously though, it looks like I'd expect (with my experience spanning, oh, at least a few weeks) - with a preblend you'll get some unevenness in the colour. Personally for espresso I would roast it darker than this, but for filter it should be pretty good.

Now you can probably see why everyone gushes over the Hottop so much!
tisri

Postby stevenzaat » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:17 am

Tisri, I think you are right and I will try today to roast it much darker ! I was maybe to tensed in the process and could not wait anymore. Main reason was that I heard the first crack after 18 minutes, because I roasted outside my house. So next time i wil wait longer and again show the results (if it improved!).

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques