New Whirley popper?

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

New Whirley popper?

Postby Johnmac » Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:58 pm

My poor old whirley has just about had it. :( I have one of the ones with the plastic gears and they're worn out.

Sweet Marias sell the stainless steel version but it costs a bit to have it sent here. They mention on the website that they're not happy with the quality of the new stainless ones. Ideally it would be great to get my hands on a solid antique stove top roaster but haven't seen any on ebay lately.

Can any of you suggest a UK or European source for a whirley or something similar? (HB had them but appear not to stock them at the moment.)

Thanks
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

RE: New Whirley popper?

Postby espressomattic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:01 am

Hmmm I know Steve had a Swiss made one a while back. I tried to source another, however the only ones I could find were in America. SM's or direct from the manufacturer it would appear, just had a squint oin the web and Amazon stock them too at reasonable prices starting from $24.
espressomattic

Postby lukas » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:11 am

Hm, I have two of the old cast iron Stovetop things, but the one I can't use is coated and needs some good work for a refurbish (pickle, sand blast, don't know), both were around 10eur on ebay germany two years ago.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Johnmac » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:27 am

Matt: I'll email HB to see if they can still get these. Amazon.com sell WPs but they won't post them to the UK. Maybe it's about time I bought some beans from SMs anyway, but their remarks about the quality of the latest stainless steel WPs worry me. Are you still using your WP? I remember you saying some time ago that you thought you had better results fom the WP than your Cafe Gene. I've tried roasts from a Cafe Gene but haven't had a chance to really try one out: my impression is that once you nail the technique for a WP they're hard to beat - definitely better than what I can do with the I-Roast.

Lukas: I remember that you have one of these, they do appear from time to time on ebay so maybe I should just hold out for one. I do worry about the aluminium WP - the link with Alzheimers is only theoretical, but even so :shock: Are the old cast iron ones easy to look after? I.e. once they're seasoned I guess you don't to have to worry about rust and it imparting tastes to the roast?
Izzo Vivi, Iberital MC2, I-Roast2, Whirley Popper
Johnmac

Postby Slimboyfat » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Johnmac

The old stovetop roasters are worth seeking out - you should be able to get one for £15-30

I had the top of mine welded to a good quality stainless steel saute pan and had the internal paddles lengthened - much better temp stability and 500g capacity

A bit more pricey than a whirley but will last a lifetime and the quality of the roast is worlds apart

Try this:

http://shrunk.net/f654b76c

I'm afraid that i was responsible for the Swiss whirleys that Steve got in - the top gearing was metal, but the aluminium pan was very soft

Regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby Bombcup » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:14 pm

I was in The Grocery on Kingsland Road, That London the other day and they've got Whirley Pops on the shelf. Never seen them for sale before. I'm guessing this is a bit late to be of use to the OP but if anyone else has been struggling to get hold of one, they're in stock there.
Bombcup

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques