Behmor 1600: first look

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby CakeBoy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:55 pm

No tongues though ..........
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:43 am

Got a slight problem with my new toy:

Must call Steve
Must call Steve
Must call Steve..............

The chaff collector is different from the one in photos I have seen, it has been modified with a bar at the back which when lifted will raise several flaps in the base to catch the chaff. Good idea but it makes closing the door impossible unless I insert a slim screwdriver to lift and hold the bar until the door can support it. I then have to remove said screwdriver in order to completely close the door.

I hope that description makes sense.

To answer Mark's comment. Dom and I have very sharp tongues, it would cause untold damage.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby johnny » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:10 am

Keep us updated Moto ...... Still havent ordered mine ... Allegedly Barclay card have stopped internet transactions unless I fill a form in requesting it .... So looks like I have to wait till that clears 1st
- Vivi
- MC4
- No kitchen space left
johnny

Postby motoman » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:58 am

OK I couldn't wait, did a half pound roast of Costa Rica, San Rafael, Tarazu. Settings P2, B+ +(14.00min). Had to hit cool fast on second crack at 13.00min. Dark shiny roast a bit over target. I used a profile from an American 120v machine and think we have to compile Europe profiles for our 130v & 140v units so a lot of testing to come. In the US they were having problems with voltage fluctuations down to 112 volts.

What I did like was the fact that first and second cracks were loud, I could open the door to speed up cooling and cleaning was easy, just stuck vacuum nozzle in chaff tray and machine, done. I did have more smoke than extected but I had gone past 2nd crack by a Tisri margin.

It will be more than a week before my next roast so anyone else with a new machine please give us you results.
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:00 am

The machines are different to the US too with a faster motor for coolig and turning, so the profiles will be very different.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby espressomattic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 am

*Sigh* wrong bloody hemisphere...again.
espressomattic

Postby Jaanus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:48 am

Even with the problems You have, Moto, with the chaff tray and getting accustomed to different profiles due to higher voltage, i think You ought to be happy, or what? I know i`d certainly be.
Behmor seems to be the quitessential home roaster.
La Cimbali Junior D/1
Mazzer Super Jolly
other stuff
------------------------------------
Caffeine. My drug of choice...
Jaanus

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:10 pm

motoman wrote:Just the container mate, Cakey uses them for a lunch box.

Got mine today dammit, did a roast with the Gene yesterday so have to wait a few days before I can use it properly.

Need profiles, anyone got some?

my standard profile is thusly (for espresso)

I use the default profile, max it out to 20 minutes 30 seconds (that's what the "+" button is for). I let it run. The first crack starts around 4 or 5 minutes (occasionally 3 minutes). I computate in my head: 2 minutes left. After those two minutes, I hit the "cool" button.

Great profile. Love my roasts.

(I suck at highfalutin' roasting, but I do love me some fine coffee, guv, honest)
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Just remember Raf you have a first gen machine it will behave differently .
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:28 pm

did the time between 1st and 2nd crack change then? I thought Joe mentions this technique in his manual. Or at least, a somewhat more refined approach that I dumbed down to a 2-minute rule :o (but which works really well).

The only time I have problems (once or twice in the course of a year) were when I don't clean the chaff well enough out of the roasting chamber (especially on the grill protecting the heating elements in the rear). For some reason this wreaks havoc on the temp probe I think.
This week I am eagerly anticipating the first god shots from my La Spaziale machine....

La Spaziale S1, Vibiemme Domobar (retd), Mazzer Mini Electronic, Behmor 1600 230V
Raf
Founder Member

Postby Steve » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:40 pm

The cool cycle and the motor and chaff tray have all changed. There is also some changes to the way the voltage and the programs work so I would expect some differences between your machine and the new ones.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby tahoejoe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Greetings one and all from Planet California..where extraterrestrials are the norm and the norm is not.. sorry a little early start so coffee is still very much needed... 8)

This is Joe Behm..and I'll try to get here on a regular basis to answer questions and provide tips where possible...

Let me first address the new chaff tray..

In a nut shell it allows for unrestricted visibility, better cooling we feel and in our testing will almost completely eliminate chaff ignitions that while not dangerous (low momentum) are an annoyance.. The one thing we did find is on occassion they require a little working in to get the stiffness out so please give it a little time to work itself loose (that has an odd sound to it..work loose).. I apologize but can assure you this tray's benefits are numerous over the old style...

Smoke... up to 2C greatly suppressed enough so as stated I can do it in my kitchen with no fans on etc.. sliding glass door open for a little air circulation...

That said if you go into 2C and it starts to sound like rice krispies.. you are going to get smoke.. greatly reduced as compared to without the suppression but some nonetheless ..

I'll do my best to pop in daily (unless traveling) and do appreciate everyone's patience for the time it took for the Behmor to arrive...

Enjoy the journey..

ps.. Part V Paragraphs 1- 3 are the Rosetta Stone for use and easy maintenance..
tahoejoe

Postby Raf » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:46 pm

welcome, Joe! Long time no hear. I hope everything is well, you certainly looked well in the vid you made with Steve.

Raf
Founder Member

Postby tahoejoe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm

Raf.. thanks for the greetings..life is good.. just a lot to do

on a side note

OK..whose good at avatars..?

Need my std... and so far files are too large
tahoejoe

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Welcome indeed Joe :D

On the avatar front, anything under 80x80 pixels and 6KB file size should upload fine. Irfanview is a decent enough free image tool that resizes well http://www.irfanview.com/

Give me a shout if you would like a hand.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques