Behmor 1600: first look

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Ziobeege » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:23 pm

Certainly understand about the trial & error. Some green bean wastage so far I can tell you - but that will stabilise and the Behmor seems to remain nicely consistent as long as your variables are consistent, with the exception that is appears forgiving at different ambient temperatures which is great. So hang in there!

But to answer your question, it is your 3rd point - 2.15 + 40sec into the cool which takes you around the 3min mark - ish. Seems to work pretty consistently for me.

I've only ever roasted 1 pounders so I cant share anything on your last point unfortuntately. I intend to whip up some smaller batches pretty soon so will share my thoughts then.
Ziobeege

Postby voice_of_reason » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Great, thanks for the tips! I guess your method of allowing 30-40 seconds will work equally well if I deduct roughly that amount of time for a half pound roast - so maybe starting the cooling at around 1:35 mins after first crack starts should result in the roast stopping around 2 - 2:10 mins - just when second crack is starting.

Not sure if, for a half pound roast, the roasting will stop in less than 30-40 seconds because of the smaller batch size, so maybe I can hold off on starting the cooling closer to the 2 minute mark after first crack begins. I'll probably end up incinerating another batch, but it's all part of the learning curve I guess!
voice_of_reason

Postby motoman » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:50 pm

I'm using a 10oz batch in the 1/2lb setting. The fractionally slower roasting time gives me enough time to check and end the roast before darkness sets in.

My last batch of Indian Monsoon Malabar was the best looking yet.

First crack is very quiet, you need to singe your ears to hear it, second is noisy and I stop the roast almost at once, allowing for the 15 second it takes for the cooling to kick in. Not a lot of chaff with the Indian so opening the door to speed up cooling is not a problem.

Odd aside :roll: : I have noticed that I get less clumping in the basket than I did with the Gene, anyone else found this? :roll:
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby triptogenetica » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:04 pm

less clumping in the basket

Yes, I've found this, relative to popcorn-popper roasts. I think it's due to the recent change in weather, rather than the new roaster - the increased humidity discharges static, etc etc.

Did my first full 1 pound roast today (or, 454g - i can't think in imperial). An Indonesian, Java (D)jampit - looks and smells excellent...
Bezzera BZ35 (ex Gaggia Carezza)
Grinders - Iberital MC2, Bezzera BB105, Hario Skerton
Aeropress, Cona C, Hario MCA-5 and TCA-5 vacpots
Beans - Behmor homeroast
triptogenetica

Postby alberto_ita » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:12 am

Ziobeege wrote:- The manual suggests to think "10 seconds" ahead. I think you need to be around 30-40 seconds. There is definitely a "coast time" in the cool down period where the roast continues

I quote, I think the manual should be updated in its content, for this is a crucial point to understand, to reach a desired roast level (i.e. "just in the second", as many coffees HB suggests).
Izzo Alex Duetto, Rancilio Silvia
[del] Mahlkonig Vario [/del](RIP), Macap M4, Rancilio Rocky w-doser
Gene Coffee roaster - Behmor 1600
alberto_ita

Postby bruceb » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:48 am

I've used a dozen different roasters (but not the Behmor) and "coasting" is part of the process. The beans begin to become exothermic just as the roast process is completing and that heat doesn't just disappear, even with very effective cooling. That is one of the reasons why experience is necessary in order to become a good roaster and why it takes awhile to get used to a new machine.

Maybe a few sentences to that effect should be included in the manual. Most of us have turned some quite nice greens into charcoal when learning to use a new roaster. :roll: :wink:
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby ackers » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:10 pm

I have read the manual but can somebody just clarify the function of the A,B,C,D buttons, is it a case of banging in ¼ lb of beans and selecting 1/4, select the profile P1 to P5 according to the origin of the beans, select A to D depending on whether you want a light or dark roast, and + or – time depending on whether the last roast was what you wanted, with the option of hitting the cool button and stopping the roast.
The manual suggests the following for a Brazilian:-
¼ - P3 - C. If I wanted a darker roast would I change the C for a D or hit the + button a few times.
I have one of the original I-roasters, the glass is cracked, the chaff collector has packing pieces on it to stop it rattling and the lid is held in place with curtain wire, and using the same bean/profile I can just press the button and leave it to do its own thing knowing the roast will be consistent, but I fancy a change and the Behmor seems to fit the bill.
ackers

Postby motoman » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Before buying the 1600 I made the mistake of reading the Coffee Geek posts, they have a variety of different timings and settings to get their perfect roast. A load of B*$£^&*%s, all I do is add a couple of ounces to the 1/2lb setting, leave it on P1 and go. So far, apart from a couple of roasts where I add or subtract 15 seconds, I am getting very drinkable results. I am convinced that the 230/240v models are far superior to the US model.

I will eventually play with different settings but so far I see no need for experiments when even Kalossi turns out looking like it should. (Kalossi in the Gene drove me nuts)
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby ackers » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah your right, as soon as I thought about it I should just have given in and bought it.
ackers

Postby Gouezeri » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:37 pm

motoman wrote: I am convinced that the 230/240v models are far superior to the US model.

Is it wrong of me to want to see you make this statement on the CG forums? :twisted:

Not so much of a fan of the p1 myself. I tend to use p4 and D with 1/2lb.

Compared to the I-R, it does appear to be more complicated to start with simply because of the degree of options available (which like many, I suspect, I have totally failed to take advantage of). That, and getting used to the coasting. Both of these are fairly easy to overcome as you gain experience, and this is when the Behmor starts to shine in comparison, as you learn to pick settings which work for you, and you are used to, and just kinda stick with them.
Hope that sort of makes sense! Well, more than usual, in any case!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

Postby ackers » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:46 pm

It was this part of the manual that I didn't understand

4)
Roasting times may vary due to voltage, but a good understanding of the A, B, C, D (Program /Times) to Profiles P1, P2, etc., is as follows:
A to P1
B to P2
C to P3
D to P4 (subtract 30 seconds using)
D to P5 (add 30 seconds using)
ackers

Postby olavni » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:48 pm

I like my Behmor a lot and I'm getting good coffee from it, but I'm not a big fan of the the different profiles, start time (ABCD) and weight buttons.

Why? Because they give impression that it is just set it and forget it - and you will have a perfect roast. That is in my experience not the case. All all of these options do are to make it VERY difficult to choose the profile you actually want. I would much prefer just a time setting and a temperature/power setting for "on the fly" adjustments. I'm guessing it would make it cheaper to make as well.
olavni

Postby Ziobeege » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi Ackers
To answer your question all the A,B,C,D functions do is to setup a predetermined roast time, based on the weight you have selected. Put simply, these are fixed ‘time’ buttons which you then finesse with ‘+’ pr ‘-‘ increments. So if you are using a 1 pound of green coffee, and you want the P2 profile, and you hit button 'B' as the manual suggests, it will set for 20 mins. If you hit 'A', it will set for 18 mins., 'C' will give you 21.30 mins and button D, in theory will give you 22.40. However the P2 profile has a max time of 22.30 built in. It will not go past this time regardless. If you don’t hit any letter, the default will be ‘A;

There is nothing stopping you using ‘A’ or ‘C for eg’ – you don’t have to use ‘B’ for this setting. However the manual suggests what it does because in the experience of the inventor/manufaturer it is likely to put you within range of an acceptable roast based on that profile selected, that weight of green bean and that bean type used. Some people dislike this perceived 'roast straightjacketing' whilst others, like me, are appreciative that you don't have to piss around wasting beans and time too long to get you in ball park. Someone else has helped you there, you can then focus on the finessing using the increments.

I would use the profiles as suggested and then temper them with the + or - increments – at least initially. Going from a light roast to a dark roast can change quickly. If you are finding that you are hitting the increment buttons plenty of times to hit you desired roast, then you may as well go for the next fixed time button (‘A’ being the shortest time, ‘D’ being the longest)

I had an Iroast2 and my biggest bugbear of that machine was that the slightlest change in ambient temperature would alter your roast materially. Indeed, if the room was a little cool it would not roast at all – just bake. Awful. The Behmor seems to be much more stable in variable temperatures and once you have got a feel of roast timings you can indeed leave it at its own devices. You don’t have to watch it for every second as suggested elsewhere
Ziobeege

Postby ackers » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:40 pm

That confirms it, end of the month I'm having one.
ackers

Postby Ziobeege » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Atta boy
Ziobeege

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques