Hottop roasting indoors

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Hottop roasting indoors

Postby GreenBean » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:47 am

Some months ago I purchased a Hottop programmable and now use it all the time in preference to my Gene Café. One thing I did not like about the Hottop is the difficulty of extracting the fumes when roasting indoors.

With the Gene the air flow is very gentle and exhausts in a more or less vertical direction. With the machine sited under a cooker extractor hood it is easy to extract the fumes.

The air flowrate from the Hottop is much greater and exhausts horizontally. With the machine sited under a cooker hood the fumes “escape” under adjacent kitchen cabinets making it impossible to extract them.

I have made a very simple adapter to turn the exhaust flow into a vertical direction which allows it to be extracted by a cooker hood. This works very well making indoor roasting much more practical. If anyone wants to give this a try the following photos should give you the idea.

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

RE: Hottop roasting indoors

Postby GeorgeW » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:17 pm

That's clever but I've never had that problem and mine sits under the cooker hood and vents directly up there and then outdoors.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Puck » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks GreenBean. I just took delivery of mine today, so this could be a handy tip. :)
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Beanie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:14 am

I'm with Mr. George... didn't have a problem venting it :)

Question Greenie... what sort of material is your exhaust flow director? Looks like a regular plastic jug... no heat/melt/plastic fumes concern there?
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby bluevalentine » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:31 am

I'm with George on this one. No problems under the cooker hood, even though mine is of the recycling variety and not that efficient. Still I might get your exhaust system knocked up in steel and chromed just for the pose. Anyone know where I can get furry dice for my Hottie? 8)
Reneka Techno V2M / Anfim doserless grinder / HotTop KN8828P / Reg & Espro / 3 French presses + Bialetti + Turkish ibrik + filter + Aeropress
In extremis I munch the beans

Coffee falls into the stomach ... ideas begin to move... shafts of wit start up like sharp-shooters, similies arise, the paper is covered with ink ...
Honore de Balzac
bluevalentine

Postby GreenBean » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:58 am

I must say I am surprised you guys do not have a problem with the fumes. I can only imagine that you have a higher tolerance for fumes than I have.:shock:

Bean_Believer wrote:Question Greenie... what sort of material is your exhaust flow director? Looks like a regular plastic jug... no heat/melt/plastic fumes concern there?

I used a small polypropylene cereal container. The small amount of fumes drawn from the roasting chamber are very well diluted with fresh air so the gasses exhausting from the machine are only slightly warm. The cereal container does not even get warm to the touch, no problem at all. If the gasses were not so diluted I would be much more concerned for the electronics inside the machine rather than the cereal container.

Furry dice sounds like a good idea though I would recommend hanging them outside the roasting chamber. :?

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques