Too fresh!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Too fresh!

Postby lukas » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:13 am

This is so disappointing! I was out of coffee and just roasted some Yirgacheffe, made a Melitta-filtered cup, and the coffee is so disappointing but at the same time I can just taste that the coffee will be great in one or two days, but now it's just muted, smokey and fresh. Hrrrmmmm.
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

RE: Too fresh!

Postby Chrisweaver » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:29 am

ha haa wow thats creepy. I roasted some Yirgacheffe in the shop last night and although I know that I shouldn't, I brewed an espresso, it was very... very... veryyyyy bright. However, its staring me in the eyes now... a day later... and its calling for me

"chris... drink me"
Chrisweaver

Postby Puck » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 am

Yeh, I know what you mean, I've got exactly the same problem. 250g each of Yirg' and Australian mountain, resting in the cupboard since Saturday, and I'm having to use Sainsbury's Espresso beans <gulp> today.
Forward planning was never my strong point. :D
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Chrisweaver » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:36 am

ha haa, I'm lucky in that, I get free coffee from work whenever I like, and atm, I have 9 kilo's of freshly roasted coffee from hasbean, 2 foot away from me:)

Chris
Chrisweaver

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:28 pm

lukas wrote:and the coffee is so disappointing but at the same time I can just taste that the coffee will be great in one or two days, but now it's just muted, smokey and fresh. Hrrrmmmm.

I roasted 225gr of Yirg yesterday, mainly because 'my man' seems to have run out of Haraar. Roasted for espresso @ 10sec into R2, so expecting it to be real smokey 8)

Puck wrote:250g each of Yirg' and Australian mountain, resting in the cupboard since Saturday, and I'm having to use Sainsbury's Espresso beans <gulp> today.

You are very brave, I would have gone for the fresh Yirg or Oz.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Puck » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:43 pm

cumberpach wrote:You are very brave, I would have gone for the fresh Yirg or Oz
LOL. Well, it was touch'n'go, but I figured if I start on it too soon, it'd be gone by the time it's ready, so it was that or drink tea <shudder>. :shock:
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby Bombcup » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:46 pm

Someone on here once talked about 'turbo de-gassing'. Not in reference to relieving post sunday lunch discomfort, but grinding your shot and leaving it to stand for 30 minutes before extracting when using very fresh coffee. Not tried it myself but probably worth a punt.
Bombcup

Postby Bertie_Doe » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:53 pm

Tried that once with Monsooned, but only let it rest for 10 mins - very volatile, but also very drinkable 8)
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby Beanie » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:02 am

I rested 12-36 hour-old/fresh coffee for about just a couple minutes tops... usually less... and with my no-mess contraption, I'd flip the grounds in the PF (kinda like with pancakes) which also broke up any clumps. That would usually work for me :)

If you have one of those Vacuvin jars, you could try vacuum sealing 25% of it so that it degasses faster? I'm just not sure how much faster it would be though :)
This week, I'm mainly recovering :DAll I've got is my Aerobie AeroPress | 70's Aurora/Brugnetti HX Spring Lever | Mazzer Mini E & SJ (on loan) | Hottop | Nestor Martin (Toto) Gas Roaster | Eva Solo | Moka Pots
Beanie

Postby Chrisweaver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:26 am

Well i tried it yesterday, and as a straight up shot it was still very acidic, though with some sugar, mellowed it right out, and it was heavenly... how about you lukas?
Chrisweaver

Postby Aadje » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 am

Well Lukas, how is it today?
Bits 'n' pieces . . .

This week I am mainly saying hello to old friends
Aadje

Postby lukas » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:49 am

Just sipping a Vacpot'd cup. Very nice, a little dark (as most often .. grr), the grind was a bit off but I can't be bothered to do another pot off it this morning. Very enjoyable, but still a bit muted.

I visited my parents yesterday and preground some of it for filter, after some hours in a clipped bag the coffee was really good. I bet tomorrow I'll have more luck :), and tomorrow I'll remember to grind a little bit coarser for the vacpot.
Lukas

--
lukas

Postby Chrisweaver » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:56 am

best i've had Lukas with the 'chef was a cinnamon roast, and brew in a 3 cup chemex, it almost tasted like I'd added grapefruit juice to some perfect black coffee, it was amazing!

Unfortunately I did what you cleverly avoided, and drank it all yesterday when it was still young :'(
Chrisweaver

Postby lukas » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:29 am

Time for another batch then, Chris! I'm lucky in that my batch-size is 500g, that last's a while. That's in no relation to the labor that is in each 500g batch, though ...
Lukas

--
lukas

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques