Arrival of the I-roast

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Arrival of the I-roast

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:54 am

Does anybody know when the I-Roast will arrive in Europe ? At the site of Ongebrand they expect the arrival after the summer, but does somebody knows a more precise date.

Kind regards,

Steven
stevenzaat

Postby phil » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:09 pm

Hmmm

I believe Ivo genuinely expects some stock, but I've heard (unofficially) that Hearthware may not make European voltage versions as they've spent so much developing the US version.

So I don't really know for sure what to expect, but I think (at best) the European voltage models may be a way off yet. There was a thread on alt.coffee recently where Ivo commented on this matter - I'll dig it out later.
La Spaziale Spazio 2 group semi-auto

La Spaziale Lusso grinder (espresso),
Macap MC4 shop grinder (brewed coffee)
Three Thor tampers
Two Hottops, first since Feb 2003
No partridge, no pear tree either
Conas, Zassenhaus hand grinder....
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:27 pm

I forget where I heard it (it's a rumour anyway) but it's essentially the same as Phil says - the cost involved in creating a European voltage unit, complying with all the assorted legal requirements across Europe and then marketing it, into a market that is still fairly young in so many ways, was reckoned to be more than the makers were willing to stomach.
I wish I were what I was when I wished I were what I am.
tisri

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:42 pm

So I am waiting for nothing. I really wanted to start with roasting, but thought the I-Roast was the perfecmachine for a starter like me. I am now almost waiting one year for the (European) release of the I-roast.

Does anybody has any suggestions for an alternative.t with, which is available in Europe. At Coffeegeek most members suggest to start with a machine like the I-roaster. For me money is not an issue in this field, because I already experienced that it is more expensive to start with an economic model with needs an upgrade within a year.

Thanks anyway for all the reactions so far.

Kind regards,

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby simonp » Mon Aug 16, 2004 12:46 pm

Sounds like a Hottop required to me. I know the owners here will sing their praises, but I do not own one, but having seen a demo I was very impressed, I just wish I had the money/space :(
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Postby phil » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:16 pm

Well as the guy with the first *production* European Hottop you just know I'm going to recommend it don't you?

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby tisri » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:32 pm

If money isn't a problem and you've got the space then I have to say a Hottop. I was hesitant to spend that much at first but it really is a doddle. I've done a total of five batches of coffee with it. One was ruined because I ejected at the wrong time (my fault, not the unit's). The other four were great.

I came to the Hottop with virtually no experience - I didn't know anything about first crack, second crack and the like. I bought a book about coffee roasting and a Hottop and haven't looked back. In less than a month I've gone from being concerned about the price to heartily recommending it.
tisri

Postby EricC » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:55 pm

Ditto :

Hottop from you know who. :D
KvdW Speedster, Versalab M3/4, Kafatek Monolith MAX
EricC

Postby stevenzaat » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:26 pm

Heartware just emailed me that they expect the first shipment will be sent to Europe at the end of August, so probably they will arrive in September. Do you still recommend the Hottop to me. Isn't it better to start with an I-Roast and when you know the tricks you can start with a Hottop, where you can not see the beans roasting. And is there a quality difference between the Hottop (EURO 750) and The Alpenrost (EURO 375). Or is the Hottop just the Mazzer Mini under the Home Roasters.

Again thanks to all for the quick and very `high quality`responses.

Kind regards

Steven
La Marzocco GS/3 with a Mini Mazzer Electronic (version B) for my espresso/cappuccino

Solis Maestro grinder for my french press vacuum brewed coffee, Hottop roaster, Cona D coffee brewer and a Bodum French Press.
stevenzaat

Postby tisri » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:26 pm

If money isn't a problem you might as well go straight to the Hottop. As you said yourself, if you buy something smaller and then upgrade you end up spending more money to get to the same place.

The Alpenrost doesn't let you see the beans while they are roasting, the Hottop does. There's a thread in the Open Forum where I asked the exact same question (it's listed as a guest post because I wasn't a member then).

As far as I can see (bear in mind I'm a relative novice at roasting) there aren't many "tricks" when it comes to roasting. You put the beans in, roast them, listen for first crack (and second crack if you want a darker roast) and then dump the beans for cooling.

Incidentally, if the I-Roast is a hot-air roaster they tend to be noisy so you can't hear the beans cracking very well. They also tend to dry the oils away from beans when you're pushing into second crack so it can be harder to judge their condition.
tisri

Postby phil » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:55 pm

All I can say is that I bought a Hottop as my first roaster and I haven't looked back (18 months now). It's one of those purchases that to a large degree frees you from fussing about the hardware and allows you to get on with enjoying whatever you bought it for - in this case, roasting coffee.

I think tisri is heading in the same direction.

Three Thor tampers
phil
Founder Member

Postby michel » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:31 pm

stevenzaat wrote:Isn't it better to start with an I-Roast and when you know the tricks you can start with a Hottop, where you can not see the beans roasting. And is there a quality difference between the Hottop (EURO 750) and The Alpenrost (EURO 375).

Steven, if it is for learning the tricks you can buy the 'old' Hearthware model as well. Ivo sells it for 150,- euro and it won't let you down - at least it roasts my beans for one and a half years now without any problems...
But I have to agree that some sort of upgrade fever will settle in your brain... and sooner or later you want a Hottop - I know I want one - but in the mean time roasting with the old Hearthware is fun and easy (except for the f..... noise ofcourse)
Last edited by michel on Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A kitchen without espresso-gear is like a body without a soul.
michel

Postby tisri » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:31 pm

phil wrote:I think tisri is heading in the same direction.

No kidding :D
tisri

Postby MKSwing » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:55 pm

michel wrote:Steven, if it is for learning the tricks you can buy the 'old' Hearthware model as well. Ivo sells it for 150,- euro and it won't let you down - at least it roasts my beans for one and a half years now without any problems...
But I have to agree that some sort of upgrade fever will settle in your brain... and sooner or later you want a Hottop - I know I want one - but in the mean time roasting with the old Hearthware is fun and easy (except for the f..... noise ofcourse)

In that case, why wouldn't he take the Imex, it costs less, contents more beans (160 grams) and it roasts very well.
Stephane Cataldi
Coffee keeps your spirit levels high !
MKSwing

Postby Ian » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:58 pm

You could run a 110V I-Roast if you had a highly enough rated variable transformer.
Ian

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques