Monsooned Malabar

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Monsooned Malabar

Postby JamesP » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:52 am

Hi All,

I have been trying to get the hang of roasting MM in my I-roast 2

Touch wood so far, I have been getting fairly even results, I am just wondering how dark I should be taking it.

In the pic below I used the following profiles, as per Steve's cupping notes, I tried to draw it out and whack it with heat at the end:

Left:
160 - 4 mins
250 - 2 mins
1st crack @ 1:50 remaining

Right:
160 - 5 mins
250 - 2:40 mins
1st crack @ 3:15 remaining

I was unable to hear the 2nd crack with either the last couple of mins were really smokey on the dark roast! and I started to get oils on the beans about 40sec before I stopped it.

Any tips or pointers much appreciated!! :D

Mod's Edit: Photo(s) resized to fit page and prevent stretching. 500 x 500 pixels max please, whether posted or linked to hosted. To check size, right click on the photo and select 'properties'. See "Resizing Images" sticky using IrfanView or iZoom in Members' Clubroom for details.
Attachments
JamesP 1b.jpg
JamesP 1b.jpg (43.99 KiB) Viewed 11118 times
JamesP

RE: Monsooned Malabar

Postby JamesP » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:32 am

Just tried the lighter one as I roasted it last night, it is ok tasting, very earthy.

This is a nightmare to grind!, I had to add about 50-60 turns om my MC2 to my previous setting for the Brazil on screen stuff!
JamesP

Postby espressomattic » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:44 am

I run Malabar at 20 mins at a measly 230deg. 1C at about 17 min today, 2C at about 19.5.

MM demands a darker roast and a fine grind no doubt about that. Instead of a rolling 2C, stop at just the first few pops. Despite it being dark, it is nowhere near as dark as other beans would be at that roast level. It is quite easy to do once you have the hang of it and it does take some practice. It is my personal favourite bean to roast and have as espresso, so I have had lots of practise.

I found a steady build up of heat gave a more subtle cup. I used the ramp method when I was using a whirley pop and it was just too roast like for me. With a more gentle approach, you get a mellow cup with lots of nice spice/earth notes. Sorry to say but I prefer my method over Steve ;)

If you can get it a little lighter than the one on the right without so many oils, you will I think have nailed it mate.
espressomattic

Postby JamesP » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:13 pm

Ok thanks for the pointers,

Just about to try another one now, I am going to try:

160 - 2min
180 - 2min
200 - 2 min
220 - 2 min
240 - 2 min

Iwill stop it at the first sign of oils or just in to 2nd whichever comes first :)
JamesP

Postby JamesP » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:13 pm

I think that might be perfect, they are almost as dark as the ones on the right but no oils and not quite as shiny :)

I have tried to ones from the right and they are quite nice but ever so slightly burnt so the ones I have just done should be spot on :)
JamesP

Postby Puck » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:25 pm

Hi, I just iRoasted my first ever MM last night. It's resting now, but can't wait to try it. :)

The profile I used was:

180 / 3
200 / 2
230 / 1
220 / 1
210 / 7

I've no idea if that's good or bad though.

1c started after 6 mins, but, like you, I wasn't able to detect 2c (maybe they merged, or never reached 2c). It's almost impossible to hear anything over the roar. :shock:

I hit cool after around 9 mins, just as the beans started to take on a satin look.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

Edit: Oh, and the batch weight was 125g.
Attachments
mm.jpg.jpg
My First Monsooned Malabar
mm.jpg.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 11119 times
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby JamesP » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:47 pm

They look good, a bit darker than my first try. I think I am trying to go too dark with my recent trys, although the darker they are the better they seem to taste up to a point where they start to taste burnt :?

Let us know how they taste and how you get on with further roasts :)
JamesP

Postby Puck » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:31 am

Well my tasting didn't go too well. Like you said, it requires a significantly finer grind, but unfortunately, my grinder just isn't up to the job. :(

After a few tricks like overdosing and super tamping, I managed to do a 20 second shot, so I wasn't expecting too much.

It tasted earthy, as advertised. Not unpleasant, just different, but maybe too prominent. I think perhaps I need to roast a bit further next time.

It's a bit nerve wracking when the roast starts reaching the end. Have I missed 2c or has it not happened yet? :shock:
I think I tend to chicken out and stop it too early. :lol:

That's another small lesson learned in the long saga of coffee obsession! :D
(active kit) Izzo Alex Duetto | Versalab M3 | Hottop 8828P
(retired kit)Rancilio Silvia | KitchenAid Grinder | Mazzer Major | Hearthware iRoast 2
Puck

Postby GeorgeW » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

With MM you do need a grinder capable of grinding pretty fine. Again, MM is very fluffy so it is easy to overload. Keep it down around 16 to start with as it takes up a lot of space. If you suspect that you're under-roasting bite a roasted bean in half and you will see if it roasted all the way through. The espresso will be sour if this is the case.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby justdoit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm going to try my first roast of MM at the weekend.

I only have experienced roasting about 6 times with Brazil Perfetio Espresso Blend giving me mixed results so far using my Hottop basic.

So, should I just try with the instructions in the Hottop manual and see what happens? or try any specific technique/timing etc you more experienced roasters may have for me?

Thanks

:)
justdoit

Postby ivdp » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:48 pm

Most important: look at the colour of the coffee. When you like the colour the coffee is done.
KvdW Idro - M K30
ivdp

Postby Gadders » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:11 pm

Sight, sound, smell. Job done.
Gadders

Postby Bertie_Doe » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:21 pm

justdoit wrote:I'm going to try my first roast of MM at the weekend.

I only have experienced roasting about 6 times with Brazil Perfetio Espresso Blend giving me mixed results so far using my Hottop basic.

I guess about 60% of my total coffee consumption is Monsooned Malabar. I tend to roast by sound only, but if I see the beans starting to show heavy oiling, I'll dump early :oops:

Here's some pics of a garage roast I did about a week ago on my basic Hottop. They look very similar to JamesP's right-hand sample.

Mine were 2 x 225g roasts about 2 hours apart. The tray on the right (the first roast) the ambient was 9C and the RH 63%. The times were 1st 17:15, 2nd 18:50, Rolling 2nd 19:15 and dump 19:40. The tray on the left (2nd roast) Ambient still 9C but storm clouds gathering, pushed the RH up to 83%. Times, 1st 17:50, 2nd 19:10, Rolling 2nd 19:40 and dump at 20:10.

As you see, I like to take MM a long way into Rolling (machine gun) 2nd. If I don't take it this far, I get a lot of brightness and acidity in the cup. You will note from the close-up, there's a few oil spots post roast. There will be more spots 48 hrs later and the overall colour will darken. Here's a hot hottop tip : if you feel that you've dumped early (the beans look a bit light) don't be afraid to remove the circular tray and rest them on the counter. This will remove them from the HT's cooling air jets and let them 'roast' a little longer in the tray. For brewing Monsooned, Im aiming at a coolish boiler temp of 96C, which will give me 86C at the group. A lighter roasted Central American, I'll go a warmer 97.5C.
QC
Attachments
Bottle and Beans 014.RZD.jpg
Bottle and Beans 014.RZD.jpg (73.2 KiB) Viewed 10994 times
Bottle and Beans 013.RSZ.jpg
Bottle and Beans 013.RSZ.jpg (86.13 KiB) Viewed 10994 times
Bottle and Beans 018.RZD.jpg
Bottle and Beans 018.RZD.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 10994 times
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby justdoit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks very much for the info Cumberpatch, Gadders & ivdp.

Unfortunately I have no facility to monitor things like humidity & guage temperate etc.

I will try a roast purely on sight, sound and smell first of all and take it from there. I suppose it really is the only way to start - I might even get a great roast! :lol:
justdoit

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:44 am

justdoit wrote:I will try a roast purely on sight, sound and smell first of all and take it from there.

You are right to roast by sight, sound and smell. By printing the times for the 2 back-to-back roasts, I was illustrating just how quirky Monsooned can be. Looking back thru' my logs, I can see examples were humidity changes seem to have no relationship to crack times?

For my taste buds, I've found that it will tolerate overroasing but not under. Some of my earlier attempts, were almost black and covered in oil (by day 3) but were quite drinkable. Good luck with your weekend roast.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques