Latest roast profile

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Latest roast profile

Postby simonp » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:34 am

After my recent bad roast (unfortunately 6 batches!) I tried a Hottop clone profile used by Jim Schulman some while ago see http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/60c9cfa5/bc ... BBkoHBbwv5 . Phil, does this profile look about right for a Hottop?

I roasted a pre-blend espresso, and apart from being a little light for my taste (quite bright and acidic, nice but a little too intense) the results were good, lots of depth and body, and nice dark crema without so much of the pale big bubble stuff. The time from start of 1st to the first pops of 2nd was about 3 minutes, way shorter than my recent roasts.
One thing still confuses me a little, when people say they go, say, 15 seconds into 2nd, is this 15 seconds from the first pops or 15 seconds from regular pops but not quite rolling? I often (even with a single origin) get a couple of pops quite a while before any others, and 15 seconds from the first pops would not reach any more.

Another interesting point from this roast is that there are no beans with divots out of them, not sure whether this is the slower roast, or I didn't go far enough into 2nd.
Profitec 700 dual boiler
Isomac Rituale
Mazzer Mini
Mahlkonig Vario
Chemex
Aeropress
2 Bodum press pots
Hottop updated to a B with Compuetr control
Imex roaster, dimmer mod on heater (under spare bed)
Rival popper, with split motor and dimmer mod on heater (retired)
simonp

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques