Antique Drum Roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Bombcup » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Tried the Geth in the machine, then tried it again, then again, then a capp, then another capp, then "Oh sh1t it's run out!" Bloody good stuff. No sleep.

Just roasted a 200g batch. Now I hate to sound big headed (!) but I aimed for 1C at 14.00", I hit it at 14.02". This thing is brilliant! Dumped the batch 30 seconds into 2C at 18.30" and it is better looking than the last lot. I think 250g which also happens to be my ideal batch size consumption-wise is going to be even better.
Bombcup

Postby lukas » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:52 pm

Sounds really great Steve. I'd love to taste a batch of your gethumbwini, and I'd love to compare it to my own roats with the cast-iron stovetopper :)
(that reminds me I really need to get some Gethumbwini when I can flip my head around roasting again. I love these Kenyans :))
Lukas

This week I like my coffee luke-warm.
--
Newest kit: Ghibli R-15
lukas

Postby Bombcup » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:18 pm

No problem Lukas, PM me your address and I'll mail you some.
Bombcup

Postby Bombcup » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 pm

Just been reading about thermocouples on the i-burn thread. I would like some way of measuring the temperature inside the bingo drum but can't think of a way of running a probe into it whilst still being able to turn the drum without the wire getting twisted up. Is there any sort of swivel coupling which would not screw up the accuracy of a thermocouple?

Would it just be a waste of time as the probe wiuld not sit directly in the bean mass? Absolute accuracy is not as important as consistency, i.e. it doesn't matter whether I'm getting a true reading as long as it is something I can use as a reference.

Any ideas? :?
Bombcup

Postby espressomattic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 pm

Personally, for what it is worth...(And from experience)

With a machine such as this you are far bette off using sight sound and smell as indicators. I think any thermometre is a waste of time. Saying that, you could have a look on Sweet Marias as they seel termo's for the Whirly pop....
espressomattic

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques