Oven roasting works...here's the proof!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby RobC » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Having found time in the early hours of Sunday morning to watch Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End I reckon Breako has fashioned this name change to channel himself into the next installment of this movie franchise:- Pirates of the Caribbean: Search for the Sumatran Gold where Johnny Depp once more prances around our screens as slightly camp Pirate Captain Jack Sparrow searching this time for the secret of the rich Sumatran roast coffee. Enter OUR hero the crusty expat Nordic Ned to show not all Gold is shiny and educate the Pirate in the ways of the Black Gold. This starts a new sea fairing adventure where Sparrow and Ned set sail in the Black Perl in seach of the mythical creature Steve of Hasbean.

Nowt to it this script writing lark, I'm changing jobs.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:07 am

Beer can be so much fun! ;) :P :lol:
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Bren_D » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Time for a second crack, excuse the awful pun, at oven roasting methinks.

Wish me luck.

Edit: There is as much chance of me drinking the coffee than posting pics of it. A non-existent chance :oops:

Back to the drawing board.
Gaggia Classic, Iberital MC2, Dualit grinder, a rather sexy Reg Barber and a collection of various press and moka pots. Oh and an Aeropress :)
Bren_D

Postby zix » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:27 am

Bren_D - how are you doing?
It would be fun if you would be able to improve your roasts - if you haven't lost all hope by now.
How did you roast? Fan assisted? Usual convection (over+under heat)? Grill heat? Or are you using a gas oven?

First time off is usually a miss. As with most food, you need to get to know how it reacts first. Once familiar with the process and your tools, your results will improve.
This said, some ovens seem to be *very* hard to control and/or with very uneven heating.

I will put up my "oven roasting 101" on the TMC wiki soon, this is the intended place for it anyway, it just hasn't happened yet for various reasons.

I just now did the very first try with our new, fan equipped oven. First time ever fan assisted roast for me!
I let the oven heat up on the common "over+under heat" setting. During the roast I tried out three of the settings:
the Grill(over heat)+fan setting,
the usual over+under heat setting, and
fan + under heat setting

The immediate observation is that fan assisted roasting yields faster roasts. LOTS faster. I usually expect to spend around 15 minutes roasting in the oven. This time it took less than 10 minutes.
This is consistent with the usual description of fan ovens needing slightly lower temp settings than what the cookbook says, and giving shorter cooking time.
It is well known that hot air is a very efficient way of transferring heat, so this is completely logical, and also consistent with the rule of professional roasters: fluid bed/hot air roasters give short roast times, indirect heating roasters take longer (25 minutes not uncommon).

To avoid too fast roasts - I don't like half of my beans reaching first crack after less than 3 minutes, which they did this time - I think I will start my roasts on common over+under heat, and change to one of the fan settings when I want to ramp up the heat profile. Shorter roast times is fine - as long as the beans are given enough time to reach first crack.

The fan assisted oven roast actually seems to conduct heat to the beans much the same way as the hot air gun + bowl method does. The beans react the same up until first crack, it seems like each bean wants to reach 1C individually, as opposed to convection heating where they all reach 1st C more or less the same time. And the roast evens out during the time between 1st C and 2nd C, just like with the hot air gun. End result looks great.
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques