The 800N

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby Ko » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks guys :D I was waiting for someone to "confirm" that a newbie could use a scaled down commercial roaster.

Zapty, when you mention gas roaster and not a electric one. By that did you mean that as a potential fire hazard or difficultly getting it hooked up? One of the advantages :shock: of living in a developing country, THAILAND, gas gets delivered to our homes in cylindrical tanks so it should be easy.

I am starting to dream about the 800N now.
Ko

Postby zapty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Hello Ko,
As most home roasters are electric I thought I would warn you that this is a gas roaster.
Needs a little more care then a electric one and needs to be installed safely of course.
Controllability is better then a electric one.
You would need to specify what type of gas you use and what voltage is used in your country.

Let me know if there is anything else you need.
Mr. Chao-Shen Yang of the firm Yang-Chia machine Works is a nice person and willing to help out and is the main contact.
I bought it direct from the factory.

Best regards and good luck,

zapty

Ps. now is a good time to buy as the US dollar is still low.....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Ko » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Zapty,

Thanks for the offer, I am sure that I will have more questions. :)

Have fun with the roaster and keep us updated often.

Ko
Ko

Postby icke » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:33 pm

lovely machine!!!! makes me green with envy... :wink:

with the current fx rates it comes out at around €2200 for the roaster. do u mind me asking how much the shipping was?
76 kg plus packing material will either be a lot or take 2+ month via ship i guess?

does it take smaller batches then 500g too? can you do back to back roasting with it?

cheers,
o
Black KvdW Speedster / Arrarex Caravel / Elektra Nino / Vario / Huky 500 / and a bunch of less frequently used things...
LMWDP #386
icke

Postby zapty » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:00 pm

Batches are from 200 to 520 grams max.
Shipping from Taiwan to Rotterdam + customs duties + costs of clearing + taxes + transport from R'dam to my place etc, add another €700 approximately

About 5 weeks it took to arrive....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Sunnyfield » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:45 am

In my experience the optimal batch size is around 250-300g, because it is much easier to control the temperature that way. If you roast a bigger batch there is a lag in temperature responsiveness to changes in fire and vent.

This machine loves back-to-back roasts. I preheat 15 minutes, but for good stability you want the whole machine to be warmed up.
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Previous

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques