The 800N

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

The 800N

Postby zapty » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Here it is, it has kept me quite busy:

http://picasaweb.google.com/raver171/NewCoffeeRoaster
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

RE: The 800N

Postby bruceb » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:46 pm

Ohhhh, Patrick! That's so lovely. It looks so serious with that orange gas line exiting below the table. I am looking forward to doing a roast on it in the springtime. I'll bring some Galapagos with me! We'll have fun for sure.

Of course, in the meantime you will have to do all the homework and get to know the ropes. It shouldn't take you long. :D
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby zapty » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:02 pm

Thanks Bruce, soon as you can drive over, give me a shout.....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby BazBean » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:12 pm

Stunning …the ultimate boys toys that also make coffee as well , can it get much better than that ?. I think not.

Pleased for you Zaps
Knowledge can be absorbed, but passion cannot be taught !

La Spaziale S5,
La Spaziale EK 2 Group
k30 mahlkonig
Mazzer Jolly, Futurmat , MC 5 Iberital,
Brasilia RR, Macap Deli Grinder.
A growing Tamper collection
(Plus my own playground for the above- A Shop)
BazBean

Postby CakeBoy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:49 pm

That is superb Partick. Have you begun roasting with the beauty yet? :D
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby zapty » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:38 am

Yes Cakeboy, she's all installed and I've been getting to know her intimately.......
zapty

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:13 am

It looks for cool Patrick (and hot) you'll have to think about moving home again, if you buy any more kit. Is the sample-tube quick to operate - things must be very hectic around 2C. Is it a quiet machine, can you hear the cracks ok?

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby zapty » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:41 pm

Well, the kit has rapidly disappeared, the Maggio has been sold to Bruce, a company in Holland that is in the coffeeroasters business made me an offer I couldn't refuse for the reconditioned Probat so the 800N is all I got for a major roaster ....... right now.......
The tryer (if that is what you mean with sample tube) pulls right out of the roasting chamber and yes, is extremely easy to use.
The roaster is very quiet and it is easier to hear the cracks from it then from a Gene for instance.....
zapty

Postby Sunnyfield » Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:01 pm

zapty> Congratulations! I look forward to exchanging tips and experience with you! :D
From the look of it you have the same 3rd generation model as I do. There is a 4th gen already, but it mostly cosmetic I suspect.

Do I see correctly that the vent pipe from the cooler is attached to the same tube on top of the tornado-thingy? Makes sense actually and much more elegant than my two dangling exhaust-hoses in the study room!

Btw, I managed to open the gas valve too much one time, and the needle of the pressure gauge tried to rotate more than 360 degrees. So now my pressure gauge has a 20 mmAq offset. So be warned! :-(
La Marzocco GS/3, Elektra Nino, Feima 800N solid drum gas roaster
Sunnyfield
Founder Member

Postby Bombcup » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:22 am

Hi Zapty, just reviewed your pics of the roaster and I thought I'd bring it back to life.

It looks superb, how are you getting on with it some weeks down the line? Are your roasts getting even better? Any problems? etc. etc.

I've tried to look it up on Google and you would be amazed at how many american coffee roasting shops have a street address beginning 800N so and so street! Do you have a link to any info? :)
Bombcup

Postby zapty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:43 am

Hey Wonderchunder, I've been doing quite a few roasts and have been experimenting with and developing different profiles for different beans.
The roaster does a good job and profiles can be easily duplicated once developed.
No problems as of yet, all parts work as they should, good exhaust/ventilation, excellent cooler, virtually no chaff in the roast once dumped, chaff collector works real well.
It is a mini pro roaster and there is no automatic pilot, all hands on but that is what I was looking for.
I am positively impressed with it.....

http://www.coffeeclub.hk/roaster_en.htm
Attachments
800N.jpg
800N.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 13182 times
zapty

Re: RE: The 800N

Postby Ko » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:50 am

Wonderchunder wrote:I've tried to look it up on Google and you would be amazed at how many american coffee roasting shops have a street address beginning 800N so and so street! Do you have a link to any info? :)

Here is the link.

http://www.feima.com.tw/

I am also interested in this roaster and have been looking into it.

Ko

[Edit] Oops, looks like zapty has already answered the post. :oops: Too slow on the submit button.
Ko

Postby Ko » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 am

Hi Zapty,

I am trying to start home roasting and am looking into the 800N as a possible first roaster. I just thought of jumping into the deep end right away and forget about wanting to upgrade later. :shock: The looks of it just looks very nice to me.

Do you think the 800N would be too much to handle for a newbie like me? In terms of learning to roast while at the same time learning about the roaster. Would the hand-ons need of the roaster overwhelm a newbie?

Thanks
Ko
Ko

Postby Bombcup » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:50 am

Wow thanks for the info guys. I can just see that 4kg version in the back of my fantasy coffee shop, beans steaming away in the cooler in view of the customers. Superb!

Ko, I don't think it would be too much to handle (speaking completely without experience!) You would have to learn your way around it at some point so why not right away. I think this machine looks very user friendly with all the controls. You could do a few heatgun or wok roasts while you wait for it to be delivered just to familiarise yourself with the various stages of roasting. :)
Bombcup

Postby zapty » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 am

Hello Ko,

This roaster is a little more complicated to operate compared to your run off the mill Hottop or Gene but with the basic instructions provided with the roaster and a little help from your friends on this and or other forums it should be no problem.
I have quite a few years experience in roasting and yes, if you want to save some money, buy this one instead of upgrading your way around.
It is a real good deal for the money, well built to last and should keep you going for quite a few years. Not comparable to other home roasters like the ones mentioned or Iroasts, Behmors etc.
It is however a gas roaster, not a electric one......
This is like a mini commercial roaster with good control over the whole roasting process.
It is a home roasters dream....
zapty

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques