Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby gavnaz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:29 pm

Dear Too Much Coffee experts,
I'd like to say that I'm happy that I found such a wonderful coffee resource and decided to join.
I have a grate passion for coffee especially espresso and like to roast my beans at home.
This is my question: What is the best home coffee roaster that do not produce
large amount of smoke during roasting process.I have checked Behmore 1600 that recently got to the market but unfortunately most of the reviews is not the best ones.What would be my other choice?
Thank you in advance to all who replied.
gavnaz

RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi gavnaz and welcome :)

The roaster question is far from simple. The Behmor does claim to have little or no smoke, but few have had a chance to test it yet; the Gene Cafe does smoke, but you can buy an extraction accessory that will exhaust through a standard tumble dryer pipe; whilst the Hottop also smokes a bit but many are happt with it under a standard cooker extractor or near a window. I think opinions vary a lot.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby RobC » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:55 pm

In my experience the I Roast smokes loads with anything, the Gene Cafe does not smoke a great deal unless you roast a very chaffy green coffee, and the Hottop is a medium between the two. The main issue for you is that any roaster will smoke depending on the origin coffee roasted, so no matter what roaster you choose from unless you choose your coffee by those that are claimed to produce less smoke then you will always have smoke to deal with. Rather then avoiding smoke, just find a solution - roast outside, by a window or use a extractor system.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby gavnaz » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:58 pm

CakeBoy wrote:Hi gavnaz and welcome :)

The roaster question is far from simple. The Behmor does claim to have little or no smoke, but few have had a chance to test it yet; the Gene Cafe does smoke, but you can buy an extraction accessory that will exhaust through a standard tumble dryer pipe; whilst the Hottop also smokes a bit but many are happt with it under a standard cooker extractor or near a window. I think opinions vary a lot.

Thank you for Hi and welcome.I've been researching that topic for sometime now.So far Hottop were recommended the most.Behmore is fairly new this is why I think not too many people have something to say yet.Just wonder what is your favorite roaster?
gavnaz

RE: Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:15 am

Cool, we're experts now!
Welcome Gavnaz. Getting info and a release date on the Behmor is going to be tricky. I'd definitely drop Steve at hasbean a line as he is the only person that I can think of that might have played with one (and may even stock it in the future). I've seen commercial smokeless roasters, but they were big and smelled worse than RobC and his badgers! Of the home roasters, the HT seems to produce the least amount of smoke, and whilst the I-R definitely produces the most, it is easily dealt with using some duct pipes (I have a smoke alarm barely 3m from my I-R and it very rarely sets it off as all the smoke goes straight out of a window).
Generally speaking, though, the larger the batch size, the greater the likelihood of smoke.
Good luck with the search!
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

RE: Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby bruceb » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:57 am

I've owned or used popcorn poppers, hot-air roasters, an Alpenröst, the Gene and presently a HotTop. With all of them, if you go to second crack you will have quite a bit of smoke. I think that the HotTop actually produces the least smoke of all, but if I didn't have a relatively powerful kitchen extractor the house would certainly get smoky after a few roasts. The Behmor sounds very promising, although not yet available in a 230 or 240 VAC version for Europe yet. As suggested above you might try to contact Steve at Hasbean about it.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Re: RE: Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby gavnaz » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:06 pm

bruceb wrote:Image

I've owned or used popcorn poppers, hot-air roasters, an Alpenröst, the Gene and presently a HotTop. With all of them, if you go to second crack you will have quite a bit of smoke. I think that the HotTop actually produces the least smoke of all, but if I didn't have a relatively powerful kitchen extractor the house would certainly get smoky after a few roasts. The Behmor sounds very promising, although not yet available in a 230 or 240 VAC version for Europe yet. As suggested above you might try to contact Steve at Hasbean about it.

I'm fairly new to this forum so would you please direct me on how to contact
Steve at Hasbean.This is Behmor thread check this out: http://www.home-barista.com/forums/behm ... t4479.html
gavnaz

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby Gouezeri » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:34 pm

Gav, I see now from your profile that you are in the US. In which case there is little point in you contacting Steve as he is in the UK, TMC is euro-centric after all. The behmor (from what I have been told) definitely sounds promising. I don't know whether it will necessarily be better than the HT (it does have distinct advantages). I seriously hope to be able to have a play with one in the not too distant future though.
This week I are feeling sleepy!
Gouezeri

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby fred25 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:44 pm

For the behmor in the US you might want to check sweetmarias, as they have it in stock, and review it on-site (this might already be known to you, in which I apologise for wasting your time!). For less than $300..... mama mia!
Au réveil, il était midi.
fred25

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby gavnaz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:02 pm

fred25 wrote:For the behmor in the US you might want to check sweetmarias, as they have it in stock, and review it on-site (this might already be known to you, in which I apologise for wasting your time!). For less than $300..... mama mia!

It is actually $299+ tax+shipping.I have checked SweetMarias I think they the biggest green been suppliers for home roasters in US.I also seen Behmore and HotTop videos on YouToube.Behmor looks much better smoke wise.
gavnaz

Re: RE: Need advice to pick a Home roaster

Postby CakeBoy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:43 pm

gavnaz wrote:
CakeBoy wrote:Hi gavnaz and welcome :)

Thank you for Hi and welcome.I've been researching that topic for sometime now.So far Hottop were recommended the most.Behmore is fairly new this is why I think not too many people have something to say yet.Just wonder what is your favorite roaster?

Mine is the Pinhalense.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques