Upgradeitis strikes again!

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Upgradeitis strikes again!

Postby Cookie » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:18 pm

Well my hottop arrived today (thanks Steve...) and must say I'm impressed,

right out of the box it is immediately apparent that it's a quality piece of kit, build quality of the machine is excellent, and looks good in my kitchen as well.
Instructions are very thorough and as well as dealing with the functional operation of the machine covers a reasonable amount about the history of coffee and good clarity on the stages the beans progress through as well as the cracks and types/degree of roast.

First roast was an absolute doddle, Its the simple version of the hottop so only controls are temperature 1-7, so a stopwatch is useful for timing the way to various stages. found an old bag of beans that I forgot I had so they are a bit stale (around 2 years old I think?!? ) and ran 250g of those through it while I stuck my nose back in the manual, I must admit that watching the slow change in the beans from start to finish is almost hypnotic, and even though the beans were well past there best it was a much better cup straight out of the machine than the dross I get inflicted on me at work

buoyed by the simplicity i dove in and whacked 250g of my current stuff once that had finished,

worked a treat, I'm used to my whirely pop but it's so much clearer what stage the beans are at when you
a) dont have to concentrate on winding+gas+thermometer+keeping it over the heat
b) when you can see clearly whats going on along every step of the way.

As far as I can tell so far the Hottop doesnt take any onus away from the roaster in making good coffee, what it does do is do all the process stuff very well so that you can concentrate on the stage you want your beans to get to and how quickly, as well as making it an easily reproducable process.

Was surprised how much difference it made to roasting times when my oven (electric) was on, may be a strong case for getting a variac at some point to ensure a constant voltage.

Anyway first impressions are a big thumbs up and its give the passion a little more heat.

Matt. 8)
Isomac Zaffiro
Mazzer Mini-E
Hottop
French Press
2 Plastic Tampers ;) - Retired
Cookie

RE: Upgradeitis strikes again!

Postby Bertie_Doe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:36 pm

It's a nice and quiet machine. After a while you'll get to know the different sounds of 1st and 2nd crack. I've followed George's tip of reducing the batch size down from 250g to 225g.

I like to take most of my beans to rolling second and this gives me 19 to 20min roasts to FC+ and Lt Vienna. The smaller 225g load, also eliminates the possibility of stalling the roast IMO.

When I first got the Hottie, I purchased a couple of 2kg bags of my favs and some assorted 250g bags of stuff I hadn't tried before. This was probably a mistake, as it takes a number of roasts to fine-tune a particular varietals, so I may have to revisit some of those earlier SO's that I rejected before. Good luck.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Postby zapty » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:53 am

The Hottop is a good roaster, build quality imo is far superior to the Gene. It is built to last.
Gives good roasting results to once mastered....
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:15 am

yeah I think my first roast was a little light, will possibly drop it down to 225g and see how it goes.

Cumberpatch - what version do you have, what temperature do you set the roast at?
Isomac Zaffiro
Mazzer Mini-E
Hottop
French Press
Cookie

Postby bruceb » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:13 am

I always roast 225-230g, use the darkest setting and generally press the "+" button as many times as possible, then stop the roast manually either just as second crack begins or I take the roast on to full city plus by going to rolling second crack. The digital display panel lets you read out temperature (of something? Maybe the hot air coming off the beans?) and this method brings it to 207-209°C.

My 230V roaster is very slow and the above takes 21-22 minutes, however the results are excellent.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby Cookie » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:31 am

yeah, probably need a bit more bravery and slightly less itchy trigger finger for pressing eject.
Its all a learning curve.
Isomac Zaffiro
Mazzer Mini-E
Hottop
French Press
Cookie

Re: RE: Upgradeitis strikes again!

Postby Bertie_Doe » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:35 am

Cookie wrote:yeah I think my first roast was a little light, will possibly drop it down to 225g and see how it goes.

Cumberpatch - what version do you have, what temperature do you set the roast at?

Basic Hottie like yours. The figs 1 - 7 are timing units. You will note that the fan kicks in at about 14 mins. I guess this makes the temperature circulation in the drum more efficient, like a domestic oven.

I have placed a temperature probe in the chaff tray. This isn't very accurate, but it does show a steady increase in temp from 14mins. However, it's best to look at 1 - 7 as timing - rather than temperature segments.

I set on max of 7 and hover over the eject button. It's handy to look thru the glass porthole, but I roast exclusively on sound - louder cracks for 1st - quieter, slightly higher pitched cracks for 2nd and rapid clicks for Rolling 2nd.
Edit : I hasten to add, taking to Rolling2, is strictly for my MM, OBJ, Yirg and Haraar. Most of my Central Americans, would be to 2C or slightly beyond. It's also very important to log times, so that you know the gaps between the cracks, for each varietal.

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques