One year on...

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

One year on...

Postby Slimboyfat » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:56 am

Roasting has become a part of my weekly routine now, but I have to say that I still find the process very relaxing and enjoyable, in that it requires total attention and focus.

I feel like I've got my technique pretty well honed and have been thinking about just how much I rely on smell (I don't ever really feel the need to look at the beans anymore) as well as sound. I posted this elsewhere, but thought I'd post it here as well, to see if my thoughts tally with any other stovetop roasters out there?

I stopped fiddling about with thermometers a long time ago. The advantage that I have over other methods I think is that I can vary the temp pretty quickly

My current method is to preheat my hybrid whirly - A LOT!, then I dump in the greens (about 500g, but I measure by volume, not weight) and turn the gas down to a medium heat (using a 7cm burner).

I usually start to approach 1st crack after about 14 minutes or so (which you can judge by smell IMHO) and I turn the gas down ever so slightly at that point.

Once 1st crack is underway, I turn the gas down a bit more and work on my forearm muscles for a good 3 minutes until 2nd begins (sometimes 1st rolls into 2nd)

At that point I whack the heat right up again

As you might have gathered, I like a pretty dark roast!

The 'stretching' between 1st and 2nd adds significant depth I think

Answers on a postcard please

Regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

RE: One year on...

Postby Bertie_Doe » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:34 pm

Yep, I'm with you on a preference for dark, with some roasts ejecting at the start of rolling second. My last 2 roasts were HB Haraar and Sidamo and these went 20 secs past R2. My exception would be Dattera, which I abort at the start of 2nd.

I rely entirely on sound for my roasts, although I suspect the Hottie is a bit quieter than your Whirly. I think my nose-buds must be shot, because I've never been able to detect I changes in the smoke smell.

Looking thru' the sight-glass dosen't help much, as they seem to be multy-shaded. However, after cooling, they're all a uniform shade of brown. Love your ability to change the temperature profile. Still I'm very happy with the results, although it took much longer to 'crack' the Hottie, than I'd thought possible. You mention a 7cm burner - what's that?

QC
Isomacs Zaffiro and SuperGiada
Hottop and Precision roasters
ECM/Pasquini K2 and Aerolatte grinders
Dental vibrator
dbl/16g/44ml
Bertie_Doe

RE: One year on...

Postby Slimboyfat » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:05 am

You mention a 7cm burner - what's that?

It's the second smallest ring on the stovetop. When I started roasting with the Whirley, I assumed that I would need to use the wok-burner. Result? charred on the outside, still green in the middle - not tasty!

This size ring seems to give optimum control for me

regards
Slimboy...

...never knowingly underfed

expobar pulser, quickmill 031, Reg Barber Radical Pro US curve, Koenigbot, aerobie, armour plated welded 1910 hybrid german whirley, several french presses, antique nepolitana, an old stovetop, Zassenhaus that smells of pepper and a hoover attachment colander/cooler thing
Slimboyfat

Postby Richard » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:04 pm

Interesting comments slimboy, after only a few weeks I'm going in a similar direction whilst exploring one slight change at a time.

Even though I set a timer it wasn't to roast to a time, rather to time how long the roast took to get to where I wanted it via smell and audio-visual signs.

12 to 14 minutes in total from dropping my beans into a hot flat-bottomed wok with a lid and cooking on a 10 cm burner. I'm always nervous after the first crack so tend to stop as second approaches, I think I like my coffee like that.

I just shake and hover above the burner, dropping it on if I want to gain heat quickly and taking it away then lifting the lid to get rid of smoke and heat.

Very-very similar to yourself.
Hot-air-gun roasting.
French press.
Aeropress. Swiss Gold Modified.
Bialetti Venus.
MahlKonig Vario.
Richard

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques