Jammed eject solenoid

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Jammed eject solenoid

Postby jameso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:24 pm

Hello everyone :D

I've just had (for the first time ever) the eject trapdoor jam on the HotTop. Roasting Daterra Reserve Espresso Blend, 2nd crack, oils just beginning to show, nice mahogony colour - press eject. Red light comes on. No beans. Keep pressing eject - none. Power off. Power on. Eject - none. Wiggle roaster (gently - it's hot!) - nothing.

In the end, I had to get the beans out before I got a fire! Unscrewed the gold knob and removed the glass observation window. Tipped the beans out that way. Right at the end, as the last few beans were coming out into the cooling tray, the trapdoor opened at the back of the roasting chamber.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any possible causes? Or just unlucky and can happen once every couple of hundred roasts?

James
HotTop
Iberital MC2, modded Dualit grinder, Zassenhaus
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

Writing free fractal generation software
jameso

RE: Jammed eject solenoid

Postby Steve » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi James

I have seen this before, but rarely. Check there is nothing blocking the door (primarily beans) make sure there is nothnig out of the ordinary.

Then try a test run ejecting straight away to see if the door opens if it doesnt drop me a mail.

steve
Steve
Founder Member

RE: Jammed eject solenoid

Postby bruceb » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:09 pm

IIRC GeorgeW had this problem some time ago and there was a bean stuck in the door. It sounds the same and the lodged bean probably came unstuck upon tipping the roaster. Let us know if it works now.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby jameso » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:30 pm

Thanks guys

Having got the beans out, I removed the drum to vac under it. With the drum out, I started the roaster then hit eject, then hit stop. Eject door opened and shut like clockwork. Repeated four or five times. No problem.

Looks like it was a one-off.

I'm glad to hear it's probably a jammed bean, because that will now be clear so it shouldn't recur.

Just a shame it was my Daterra :( Still - it doesn't look undrinkably dark!
HotTop
Gaggia Classic + PID, 4 moka pots, 5 press pots, 1 Aeropress - and a Kalita Uno!

My other hobbies:

jameso

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Good to see you around James. I hope you are well :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby GeorgeW » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:47 pm

It sounds like my problem right enough. I suspect that oily beans may have something to do with it. I had one recurrence but it was nothing really and freed itself.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby jameso » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks George - that's a reassuring reply. The exit shute is certainly getting a bit dirty so a bit of Cafiza in warm water wouldn't hurt.

Hello Cakeboy - yes, thanks I'm well. Life has just been manically busy the past year or so. In fact, all I have time to do (coffee-wise) is roast what I need to drink, grind, brew and drink. Oh - occasionally I drop in on a micro-roaster friend of mine for an espresso or three :D What's with the new avatar - cause to effect?

Actually, I did manage to take half an hour out a few weeks ago to do some comparitive cupping of Indonesian offerings. The results are here.

Since my OP I've done some Ragati and some Lupili in the Hottop, and both exited bang on cue. Hopefully that's the end of that problem.
HotTop

My other hobbies:

jameso

Postby CakeBoy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:39 am

:P The avatar was an ambush by Dom, but it does look worringly correct ;). I was wondering a while back where you were lately; hopefully you will have a little more time for coffee fun soon. It's good to see you :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby jameso » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks very much Cakey - good to be back!!
HotTop

My other hobbies:

jameso

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques