RIP - GENE Roaster

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

RIP - GENE Roaster

Postby espressomattic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:55 pm

The Gene finaly gave up the will to roast last night after dlivering a very powerful electric shock to myself. It is slightly ironic that I am having 6 kilos of Greens shipped over from HB!!!!

This time it has been consigned to the great Roastery in the Sky...

I always wondered when the machines would bite back ;)
espressomattic

Postby Olings » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:15 pm

So you broke the roaster?! How terribly out of character! Seriously though, I'm sorry for your loss.

Ola
La Marzocco GS3, Compak K10, Dualit grinder, Turkish coffee maker (Ibrik) and grinder, Eva Solo coffee maker, French press, Aeropress.
Olings

Postby dsc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:37 pm

G'day,

so were you able to find out what caused the shock? was it a short circuit of some sort? I assume that would normally blow the fuse, but maybe something else happened that actually prevented the security element from working properly. You say you were electrocuted quite hard which means that maybe there was a rupture on the case.

So is it already recycled?:)

Cheers,
dsc.
"This week I are mostly...trying to build a grinder..."

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby leecb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:53 pm

oh dear oh dear oh dear!!
Things back to normal after a slight halt in services due to Loki losing touch with your whereabouts eh Mitty?? :shock: :lol: 8)
This week I are mainly ready to get back to making muffins!"

Andreja Premium
Mazzer Mini
Chemex
leecb

Postby espressomattic » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:17 pm

Hmmmmm :p

Well one thing is NZ plugs do not have fuses (Silly upside down people!). The strange thing was that there was a big clunck and the drum kind of stuttered. I looked inside and the cog had come off so I pushed it back into place and put it back together. Ran it but it still did this. I turned the power off at the socket as the buttons were not working and it carried on going.

It was when I was replacing one of the screws that I got jolted. 15 hrs later and my arm is still feeling odd and my chest like it has been sledgehammered!!!!

And yes it has been re-cycled already :(

Looks like Loki is back ;)
espressomattic

Postby dsc » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:52 pm

G'day,

leecb: haven't understand a thing you wrote;) how's Loki and Mitty?:)

espressomattic: no fuses? damn you can easily kill yourself that way:O good that nothing happened to you mate:) sounds like a short circuit which would probably explain why the buttons didn't want to work. But the ongoing motor even when you turned off the socket is kind of weird.

Too bad it's recycled, it was probably possible to repair it.

Most modern house circuits have fuses and elements which actually can detect the difference between the outgoing and ingoing current and cut of off the circuit. This would probably eliminate your electric shock and that weird feeling in your chest.

Cheers,
dsc.

Mahlkonig Guatemala for FP/drip, Elektra T1 for sale, Gaggia Classic in progress
dsc

Postby oddlight » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:55 pm

espressomattic

Hope you recover soon. Its never nice to get a shock.

I suspect the element is what is causing the 'shocking' problem. Uhmm ;) Relatively simple and cheap repair. Have a look for my instructions, or PM me for details. Hopefully, its not too late ...

The Gene has a fuse. But its a high current one, so is capable of giving you a jolt before it cuts out.

~A
oddlight

Postby RobC » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:00 am

Considering the Gene Cafe is made of 90% non conductive material (Plastic Composite) it is both impressive (and not surprising) that breako has managed to position a not so well placed digit deep enough into it to find a live connection. On a more serious note this is another lesson in care - when playing with your coffee related toys make sure you know what you are doing and take care or pass your high voltage equipment to a service centre rather then turn yourself into human toast.

Given the fact I grew up on a farm, and have fond memories of holding a light bulb in one hand and a electrified cattle fence in the other, I from an early age had a good introduction to electric current. The tickly electric impulse followed by the steady glow of the light bulb was quite amazing. The next time I tried this, but was given a metal pole that had been driven into the ground instead of a bulb, the resulting shock was quite illuminating, if a bit painful, but a lesson learned well.
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby espressomattic » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:32 am

As long as no badgers were injured in the incident :P

The "shocking" thing was a mate at work has an inquest file for a chap who died as a result of a similar shock.

But to Robs very wise words, take care...please!!!
espressomattic

Postby GeorgeW » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:49 am

Hard luck Matt. I hope it won't be too long before you find another roaster.
Super Jolly
Hottop
Aerobie
Various sizes of Moka stove-tops
Failed Pavoni Europiccola owner.
Zass
GeorgeW

Postby Gadders » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:22 pm

Pheww glad you're ok matey! :)
Gadders

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:33 pm

Matt mate, I am desperate to take the mickey, but tbh, I'm just relieved that you are okay. Please be careful ....... breaking yourself is NOT the ultimate Breako break of all time, it's just not good. Hey, do you have a 'perm' now by any chance or does it just straighten your pubes if you already have no hair up top? :P

Edit: Typo
Last edited by CakeBoy on Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby dsc » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:46 pm

G'day,

Hey, do you have a 'perm' now by any chance or does it just straighten your pubes if you already have no hair up top?

That's a good one Cakey ;) made my day :)

Cheers,
dsc.

dsc

Postby RobC » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:03 am

So are you now Bubble Permed ex-copper Ray Doyle from the Professionals???
Long forgotton Tech and Coffee Equipment guru.
Twitter: @c0ff33a
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I take a look at my life and realise there's none left 'Cause I've been brassing and laughing so long that Even my mamma thinks that my mind is gone
RobC

Postby espressomattic » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:59 am

Dontcha know it bro!

BTW is Evel really dead ? :(
espressomattic

Next

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques