Home-made roast cooling solutions

Roasters and roasting

Moderators: GreenBean, Gouezeri, bruceb, CakeBoy

Postby GreenBean » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:27 pm

icke wrote:
GreenBean wrote:So it's official then the Hottop blows! I knew there was a good reason to stick with the Gene Cafe.

not really strong enough to cause considerable chaff mess though.

I feel I should apologise to all you Hottop users. I could not resist the Hottop blows gag but want you to know that I respect your choice of roaster and consider it to be almost as good as the Gene Café! :lol: :lol:

Izzo Alex Duetto | Gaggia XD 2 Group | Mazzer Super Jolly | La Cimbali Max | Solis 166 | Dalian 1 kg roaster | Hottop P | Hottop B | French Press (several) | Kettle modded, no really, added digital thermometer |
GreenBean

Postby CakeBoy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:01 pm

I see what you mean GB about the flat surface. I was also musing around the idea that a perforated metal sheet might be used in some way like a tray to house the beans.
www.CakeBoy.co.uk
International muffin blagger

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Pinhalense 2x500g Gas Batch/Sample Roaster | Gene Cafe | IMEX CR-100
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby Scoobs » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:47 am

Hi Guys

I am using an industrial vacuum cleaner with a bucket and sieve.

Is there any reason to slow the cooling process down i.e not cool down so fast? I have been using a steel sieve with a vacuum cleaner and it seems to cool the beans down VERY fast, 60 Seconds from being in the middle of second pop to being cool to touch.

Is this to fast, should I switch to a colander with fewer holes?

JohnB
Scoobs

Postby zix » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:55 am

If you have access to the outside, a simple perforated tin big enough to spread the beans out has been adequate for me.
Natural convection (the hot air rising upwards and pulling in cold air from under the plate) will do the job for you, bringing the beans down to OK temp within a minute or two.

I don't usually roast more than max 500g though, for 1 kilo I would need two full size perf'd tins of the size I use now (full size oven tin)
‹• Bezzera B3000AL • Strietman ES3 • Chemex • Cona C size • Aeropress • Vev moka • Bialetti Brikka • Espro • Cezve • Bacchi Espresso • Arrarex Caravel •
• HG-1 • Lido 1 & E-T • OE Pharos •
• oven • hot air gun • Behmor •›
zix

Postby Steve » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Scoobs wrote:Hi Guys

I am using an industrial vacuum cleaner with a bucket and sieve.

Is there any reason to slow the cooling process down i.e not cool down so fast? I have been using a steel sieve with a vacuum cleaner and it seems to cool the beans down VERY fast, 60 Seconds from being in the middle of second pop to being cool to touch.

Is this to fast, should I switch to a colander with fewer holes?

JohnB

If you can I'd cool as quickly as you can is the advice I'd always follow.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby Wes » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:20 am

I'm also thinking about this, but for the Gene: Either something to pull air through the Gene after detaching the chaff collector or something to cool beans that I dump out of it into...into whatever it will be.

My suggestion for a DIY chaff catcher in a system that pushes air through the beans--I'm afraid of the japes that will result if I phrase this using "blow"--is pantyhose. The fine nylon mesh should catch virtually all the chaff, and the toes will probably be the collectors of it. Heat might be a problem, however.
Wes

Postby motoman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:26 pm

The best place for finding a suitable collander in the UK is TKMAXX, I found one with a flat bottom and unperforated sides for only a few quid. I am sure that the standard collander has too many holes which negates the suction and slows cooling. I found a small vacuum cleaner at the local saturday market for £20,00 and all I need now is a small container for the collander and I am in business.

I agree with Wes about the heat problem, maybe if she removed them first.................
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby bruceb » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:38 pm

motoman wrote:I agree with Wes about the heat problem, maybe if she removed them first.................

He.
Three Francesconi (CMA) espresso machines - Rossi, San Marco, LaCimbali, Faema and 2 Mazzer Major grinders- CoffeeTech Maggionlino, Hottop, Alpenröst and HW Precision roasters.
I decided I needed a bit of a change so I roasted some Monsooned Malabar. That was a change!
bruceb

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:51 am

motoman wrote:The best place for finding a suitable collander in the UK is TKMAXX, I found one with a flat bottom and unperforated sides for only a few quid. I am sure that the standard collander has too many holes which negates the suction and slows cooling. I found a small vacuum cleaner at the local saturday market for £20,00 and all I need now is a small container for the collander and I am in business.

I agree with Wes about the heat problem, maybe if she removed them first.................

Am I correct in thinking you will place the colander in the container and that will be modified to allow the suction tube to be connected in some way?
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

Iberital L'Anna 1 Gp Hand-Fill | Wega Orion 2 Gp | Bezzera 1 Gp | Rancilio Audrey PID | Spidem Trevi
Iberital MC2 Timed | Macap M4 DS & MXA DS | Mazzer SJ | Starbucks Barista Grinder (Dualit E60/Solis 166)
Aerobie | eSantos | Zassenhaus | Bodum P/Over | Chemex | Hario Woodneck | Timer Filter
CakeBoy

Postby motoman » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Yup! just make a big enough hole for the suction hose in the side of the container and switch on.

Of course you must make it a good fit (hose and collander) to ensure max air flow through the beans.

Just realised that a better solution would be a cheap steamer and saucepan combo from the same shop. It will be harder to drill a suitable hole in the ss saucepan but it would be a much neater setup.

Cakey could put the hot beans in his digeridoo and blooooooooooooooooowwww!
La Valentina Levetta
Mazzer Mini
Huky 500T
Bodum s/s Press Pot(Covered in dust)
Mokka, Vietnamese Press and other pots(unseen since I fell in love with La Valentina)
motoman

Postby zapty » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:27 pm

Here's my turbo bean cooler: Click Here

It has a thin flat wire screen (used to be a flour sifting device) where the beans rest on. Could easily handle a kg and cool it very rapidly...

Good luck cakey...

Mod's Edit: URL(s) edited/embedded to fit page and prevent stretching.
Bezzera B3000A, Giotto Premium, several Cona's, several Balance Brewers, Atomic, Milano etc,
Aristarco, Rancilio MD 40, Ditting and Eureka MCI grinders, several antique roasters, a mini500/800N propane/electric Taiwanese roaster, greens all over the place...and some other unmentionables that have not been mentioned......
zapty

Postby CakeBoy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:59 pm

:lol: Pete! Maybe if I don't want to burn my lips, that is a didgeridon't ;) :P

Cheers Pete and Zapty, both excellent solutions. Maybe we need to look around for bits and pieces in the house that could be used. If not, there is a cheap cylinder vac for £17 in Argos, though we don't have any cheap places selling kitchenware round here. A look on the net is in order perhaps :)
www.CakeBoy.co.uk

CakeBoy

Postby kingseven » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:15 pm

I've heard a few people say that it is possible to cool too fast, but I've never found anything to back it up in any of the textbooks.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

Postby Steve » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:47 pm

kingseven wrote:I've heard a few people say that it is possible to cool too fast, but I've never found anything to back it up in any of the textbooks.

I too have heard it but cant think of reasoning why it would not be good.
Steve
Founder Member

Postby kingseven » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Well - the coffee industry does love to propagate the myths.

The reasons I've heard were to do with formations of large polysaccharide chains I think (formers sugars coming together). Like the polar opposite of what happens when it takes too long to cool and you get the baked taste.
http://www.jimseven.com

I'll never own too many items with which to enjoy coffee.
kingseven

PreviousNext

Return to Roasting - Equipment and Techniques